Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Upping 7600 to 200mhz??

Upping 7600 to 200mhz??
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2001, 03:17 PM

I assume, from what little I can find, that to upgrade a 7600/132 to 200mhz all you need to do is pull the old 132 processor card and put in the new 200mhz card and the machine will automatically increase the motherboard speed etc. No jumpers to set. Is this correct?

Anyone who has done this have any reactions? Is the payoff as good as increasing the cache from 256 to 512. Is it really worthwhile increasing cache from 512 to 1mb?

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2001, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by WizOSX:
<STRONG>I assume, from what little I can find, that to upgrade a 7600/132 to 200mhz all you need to do is pull the old 132 processor card and put in the new 200mhz card and the machine will automatically increase the motherboard speed etc. No jumpers to set. Is this correct?

Anyone who has done this have any reactions? Is the payoff as good as increasing the cache from 256 to 512. Is it really worthwhile increasing cache from 512 to 1mb?</STRONG>

The PM 7600 is probably the most upgradeable machine Apple has built. I've had mine for over 5 years and have upgraded 4 times.

Forget getting a 200MHz, toss out the 604 board- go directly to a G3 processor. Mine has an XLR8 Mach G3 400 MHz Carrier. Sonnet also makes a number of upgrades which literally just pop in. The G3 bds will have their own backside cache, usually1MB.

Also, juice up the RAM. Be sure to do that in pairs i.e., two 64 MB DIMMS as the 7600 has 6 slots, (A&B)

Enjoy!

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2001, 08:37 PM

Westbo--thanks for the reply. Like you I think the 7600 is a great machine. I've been watching OSX for the last year, waiting for the best moment for me to switch. So:

I bought a Ti Powerbook 550 a few weeks ago. I have now moved 100% to OSX. However, I really hated to see my 7600 just go in the corner--I really want it as a "second" but "usable" OSX machine.

The machine currently has 256k cache, 128mb ram and a 9gb hard drive. I have OSX working on the machine now (using Ryan Rempel's UUM technique). Obviously, if I worked with Photoshop, this system would not be "usable." But I certainly can have two programs like Word and Excel, or Word and Canvas, open at the same time in OSX with the 7600 setup described and produce technical/mathematical documents in an emergency. So it does "work."

I decided that a G3 card really is not worth the money so I bought a 200mhz 604e and 512k cache card toghether on ebay for $43. The next step is to add RAM (which can now be bought new for $29 per 128mb EDO DIMM new).

I was mainly wondering if installing the 200mhz 604e involves anything other than just inserting it. Any other thoughts anyone would have on this project would be welcome!

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2001, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by WizOSX:
<STRONG>Westbo--thanks for the reply. Like you I think the 7600 is a great machine. I've been watching OSX for the last year, waiting for the best moment for me to switch. So:

I bought a Ti Powerbook 550 a few weeks ago. I have now moved 100% to OSX. However, I really hated to see my 7600 just go in the corner--I really want it as a "second" but "usable" OSX machine.

The machine currently has 256k cache, 128mb ram and a 9gb hard drive. I have OSX working on the machine now (using Ryan Rempel's UUM technique). Obviously, if I worked with Photoshop, this system would not be "usable." But I certainly can have two programs like Word and Excel, or Word and Canvas, open at the same time in OSX with the 7600 setup described and produce technical/mathematical documents in an emergency. So it does "work."

I decided that a G3 card really is not worth the money so I bought a 200mhz 604e and 512k cache card toghether on ebay for $43. The next step is to add RAM (which can now be bought new for $29 per 128mb EDO DIMM new).

I was mainly wondering if installing the 200mhz 604e involves anything other than just inserting it. Any other thoughts anyone would have on this project would be welcome!</STRONG>
I wouldn't bother with the 604e. The G3 card is definitely worth it! My original 7600 was a 132MHz 604 with 512MB cache. I upgraded to a Newer Technology 604e 233 MHz board (they are out of business) and there was good performance improvement. But once I jumped to a Newer G3 300 w/512MB backside cache, the difference was substantial. My last upgrade to a G3 400 was even better. The XLR8 carrier was $389. Considering the current retail value of a 7600 ($200-$300) and an average G3 upgrade (let's say $450 tops), for $750, you've got one cooking box. Installation is not complicated at all.

As a graphic designer, I've regularly used Photoshop on the 7600 with average project file sizes (layered PSDs) running 200-350MB. The machine does a good solid job running. The trick here is max out on the RAM- 512MB (again in pairs, as RAM is interpolated on the 7600), install a bigger hard drive (1.2 GB just ain't enough) and take advantage of that G3 400MHz (or G4) processor. Realize however, this is probably as far as the 7600 can take you. It's 50MHz bus can't keep up with anything much faster. And although it could run OS X, it would not be supported by Apple.

Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2001, 06:11 PM

I have a 7500/233-604e, 1MB L2 with around 100MB bastard RAM running 9.1 and it's dog slow.
At work I use my old PM8500(120)/G3-454, 1MB L2 on daughter card, none on MoBo, 704 MB interleaved 60ns EDO, 2 GB Quantum, 9 GB Ultrastar server drive, SCSI zip100(dumped the floppy, hacked in the zip) and Plextor 12/20 variable CD-ROM. All internal. PCI slots full: iX Micro Ult Rez 3D 8MB, Que 2 port USB, Que 2 port FireWire.
It's pretty fast for a 6 year old machine, but I won't put OS X on it.

OS X is barely at an acceptable speed on my duallie.

Senior User
Dec 25, 2001, 02:47 PM

OWComputing has 500 mhz/G3's for something like $230. Prices have really dropped. I've got a 500 in my 604e based SuperMac (it was @ 225 when I got it) and the upgrade is totatlly worth it.

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2001, 08:35 PM

Make sure you spend less on a CPU upgrade than you could get a new, used machine for.

I don't think it's worth it if you spend $300 on a CPU upgrade, since first-generation iMacs are selling for $300 on eBay.

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2001, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>Make sure you spend less on a CPU upgrade than you could get a new, used machine for.

I don't think it's worth it if you spend $300 on a CPU upgrade, since first-generation iMacs are selling for $300 on eBay.</STRONG>

I wouldn't bother with a first generation iMac. It's not anywhere as expandable nor is it as easy to pop open and install those extra boards and drives. It's not even in the same class as a 7600. I had mine for over 5 years and only just acquired a G4 867. The only true limit is the 7600's bus speed and as it is not a native G3, OS X will not be supported by Apple if installed. If a "refirb" is an option, I'd go directly to a B&W G3 400 or minimally a G4 450.

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2001, 09:57 PM

Be careful when inserting the card as it needs a good push down on its socket. I would also push the red button on the motherboard when you insert the card as this rests the cuda chip. Fire up the machine and all will be well, one thing if it does not boot try removing the level 2 cache as some of these were really sensitive. I had mine upgraded with a Umax 225 604e and it went really well, definately one of the better machines Apple™ has made, really useful for the legacy stuff.

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: jock ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules