Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Quadra 700 battery...

Quadra 700 battery...
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2001, 09:45 PM

My Quadra 700 takes a 3.6V battery. It is now pushing about 3.4-3.5 Volts. Does it need to be replaced?I ask because this computer, serving as my router for a year or so, in teh last few weeks has started freezing like MAD! Several times a day, my G4 starts getting all sorts of connection errors, and I know right away thats because my router is frozen solid. All it runs is a basic 8.1 install and IPNetRouter (and Dnetc). It never used to freeze like this, maybe once a week if that, so I'm wondering if the battery is too low, they say a dying abttery can give you all sorts of strange problems.

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2001, 01:29 AM

System batteries are an inexpensive purchase, get one and see what happens.

Since this router has had a history of crashing and needing rebooting I bet you are suffering from a great deal of drive corruption generated from improper shutdowns and hard restarts. Have you run a disk utility recently to see the condition of this system's disk?

I have run ipnetrouter on a IIci running 7.6. It was very stable never needing a restart. My gut tells me that 8.1 might be too much of an OS for your Quadra. I'd run 7.6 instead. It is rock solid in a stock install config with a limited number of apps running continuously.

Forum Links
Forum Rules