Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Upgrade it or put it on ebay?

Upgrade it or put it on ebay?
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 16, 2000, 02:58 PM

My uncle has a 6200cd with a 601e running at 75 MHz and (I believe) 48 megs of ram. It's slower than death eating a cracker. Is it worth upgrading this machine, or would he be better off buying a new one? Any help would be most appreciated.
Nemo me impune lacesset

heart93
Jun 16, 2000, 11:45 PM

I had a 6200 a few years ago. I bought it before I knew better.

Tell your uncle to get what he can for it & chalk it up as a learning experience.

Moderator Emeritus
Jun 17, 2000, 04:23 AM

He's had it since it was new, so he definatly got his monies worth out of it. Thanks for the input, I'll pass it along.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Idler
Jun 17, 2000, 09:30 AM

Just for clarification, the Performa 6200CD has a PowerPC 603 processor running at 75MHz. The 603 is unfortunately the slowest of the PowerPC processors. However, since this computer has a CD-ROM drive, floppy disk drive and 48MB of RAM, I think it is still quite useful with Mac OS 8.1 installed on it, also with Speed Doubler 8 and RAM Doubler 8 or 9. Your uncle can use it as long as he can until he has enough money to buy a fast new Mac. Then he can use the 6200 alongside the new Mac, I think it will be fun and useful to use the 6200 together with the new Mac.

Although slow it may be, I can think of many many useful programs the 6200 can run happily. Considering that a Mac Quadra emulate on a PC can still run many programs and be useful and a PowerPC Mac emulator for PC is being wait anxiously by many, a real Mac with a PowerPC processor is quite valuable, so keep it and have fun with it. If you like, you can view a screenshot of a Mac Quadra emulated on Windows: http://e-maculation.emuunlim.com/basmac8.jpg

[This message has been edited by Idler (edited 06-17-2000).]

Moderator Emeritus
Jun 17, 2000, 10:53 AM

Is it a 603? Huh, my mistake. He can afford a new comp, I think he may just be cheap . what I was wondering, is wether there is a G3 upgrade for it, and if it is worth the price compared to getting a new machine
Nemo me impune lacesset

Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2000, 01:37 PM

naw, TI... retire that old soldier, let it fade away...

tell Unk to buy a shiny new Mac

Forum Links
Forum Rules