Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PowerCenter Pro - new hard drive?

PowerCenter Pro - new hard drive?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2001, 04:04 PM

I have a lovely PowerCenter Pro 210 that has just about maxed out its hard drive. Any suggestions on procurring a new one? I don't need a jillion GB's. Shoud I add a Firewire card?

Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2001, 06:25 PM

FireWire card? For a HD? Nope.

Do you have any free IDE spots inside? Do you want to replace your current HD or have another alongside it?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2001, 06:51 PM

I believe I have to either replace the existing HD or add an external HD. I'm not certain which would be better.

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2002, 01:59 AM

Is your PCP a tower version or a desktop case? If you have the tower, there are at least 2 open internal bays for hard drives and two 5 1/4" external bays. Remember the PCP does not have an IDE interface... which means you'll need a SCSI drive. If you want a lot of extra space get an IDE PCI card and a cheap IDE drive. If you're only now filling up your drive (2 GB drive?), you may not need that big of a drive, check out somewhere like Other World Computing and pick up a 4-9 GB 50-pin SCSI drive to use in addition to your current drive. If you don't want to open up your case, you can get an external SCSI drive... it will be more expensive than an internal drive. The choice is really what you want and how comfortable you are with opening up your case, connecting a few cables and dealing with any potential SCSI issues (it really isn't that bad). If you want to go Firewire thats your choice... I have a Firewire card in my PCP and I'm going to use my current laptop drive with my desktop when I upgrade the laptop drive next week.

Cheers!
Chris

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2002, 01:41 PM

I have the low profile PCP. That means (I believe) that I will have to either add an external drive or replace the existing 2GB drive. Is replacing the drive difficult? (I have replaced the old processor and added ram.) The data on the 2GB is critical and must not be lost; somehow I'd need to transfer it to the new internal drive.

Another question: Are external drives inherently slower than internal drives? Thanks!

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2002, 04:10 PM

Hi David:

Since you have the low-profile PCP, I think you are right, all the space is taken up by the internal drive, the CD-ROM drive and the floppy drive. So, it does look as if you can either go external or replace your internal drive. Replacing the drive isn't any more difficult than adding RAM or replacing the processor. Just make sure your jumper settings are correct on the new drive. As far as getting the data from your old drive to your new drive, even though there may not be any space in the case for a second hard drive, it is possible that there is an extra 50-pin connector on the SCSI ribbon and an extra power connector on the power supply. If that is the case then you can hook up all your drives, format your new drive, copy over the important stuff and mount the new drive later. You could also temporarily use the 50 pin connector and power supply from your CD-ROM drive, if you didn't want to get an external case. In general, I've found external drives to be slower than internal drives... just my personal experience. Again, firewire is a possibility, but finding a SCSI case might be cheaper... check out Ebay or something like that if that is the route you choose to take. Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules