Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > no power

no power
old man
Sep 25, 2000, 04:17 PM

Hello; I have a performa 578 that was running 7.5. I upgraded to 7.6.1, every thing seemed fine until the next day some of the keys on the keyboard would not work and anyplace that you could type text it seemed like the "m" key was stuck as in mmmmmm. I shut down the computer and then tried to start up again and that was it! nada. I have replaced the battery, but it's dead. Also the keyboard shows no sign of life as in pressing the caps lock there is no light. Any ideas? thanks for listening.

Senior User
Sep 25, 2000, 05:38 PM

It sounds like your keyboard is convinced that a key is stuck down - namely the "m" key. Check your connections, and inspect your keyboard - clean it if you can, make sure all the keys work well. I think it is possible that the computer would not start up if another key were being held down.
If this is not the problem (do you have a different keyboard you can try?) it could be that some component has fried. Could be the ADB controller, or the motherboard in general. The power supply could also be shot, seeing as you get no response upon hitting the startup key (is that correct? If so, you should not expect the caps lock key to do anything).
If you do manage to get it to start up, run Disk First Aid, delete your preferences (at least to the extent that you don't mind reconfiguring things, the more the better), and zapping the PRAM may help too (this could potentially be done now, depending upon exactly how much of a response you are getting). Check around, and let us know what you find out.

------------------
We're supposed to sing about piraty things!
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2000, 01:16 AM

It is possible you have a dead keyboard, but most likely you have a dead power supply. Some of the performa machines have very poor ventilation systems and like to gather a lot of dust, particularly in the power supply. I have had several machines like this die on me, and without replacing the whole power supply, there isn't much you can do to fix it.

old man
Sep 26, 2000, 07:20 PM

Hello; Thanks very much to macos761 and ibookuser2 It was the key board I got my hands on a different one, plugged in and up she went. I was very convinced that it was either the mother board or the power supply. It goes to show that you should always try the quick fix first. thanks again for the help.

Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2000, 02:56 AM

M mmmm mmm m mmmmmmm mmmm mmm mmmm mmm M mmm mm mmmmm. Mm mmmmm mm mmmm mmmm mmm, mm m mmmmmm mm mmmm M'm mmmmmm mmmm mm mm.

Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2000, 02:58 AM

sorry, couldn't resist. glad your problem got fixed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules