Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Powermac 8500 won't powerup after upgrade

Powermac 8500 won't powerup after upgrade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2000, 11:52 AM

I have a 8500/120/64MB upgraded with a Railgun 275/187-1MB and running at 325 MHz without a problem for over an year. However, yesterday, I upgraded the memory by adding a 32 MB DIMM (wanting to try the MacOSX beta!). Now, when I try to powerup the system using the Power on button from the keyboard, I hear click,click, click with the green LED blinking. However, nothing happens after that.:-(

Interestingly, the first reboot try after the memory upgrade, the system seemed to powerup OK, but the screen remained blank indicating that the CPU card was not seated properly. I then managed to push the CPU card firmly all the way in and now have the powerup problem.

Satya Murthy
murthy@jagat.com

bluefire 529
Sep 27, 2000, 05:06 PM

A big problem I have seen with 8500's is the power supply. It does not seem to last as long as it should. A tell-tale sign the PS is bad is the clicking heard when the power button is held down.

I know it may seem odd that this just happened after an upgrade, but I have seen this symptom many times before here in the shop. Unfortunately, there is no easy test to see if the PS is indeed bad without swapping it out for a known good one.

bluefire 529
Sep 27, 2000, 05:12 PM

A big problem I have seen with 8500's is the power supply. It does not seem to last as long as it should. A tell-tale sign the PS is bad is the clicking heard when the power button is held down.

I know it may seem odd that this just happened after an upgrade, but I have seen this symptom many times before here in the shop. Unfortunately, there is no easy test to see if the PS is indeed bad without swapping it out for a known good one.

murthys  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2000, 10:28 PM

Thanks for your response. I'm planning to take it down to the "Teckserve" in Manhattan on Friday. How much do these cost anyway?

Satya

murthys  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2000, 12:08 PM

I found out that the powersupply for 8500 costs $200--ouch! I better look into e-bay.

Anyone wants to sell me a used one?

Satya

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2000, 08:32 PM

Try taking out the new memory dimm you just put in; itís probably bad. I had a black screen like you had, and as soon as I took out the new memory I had just put in, the machine booted and worked fine.

------------------
tele
tele

Forum Links
Forum Rules