Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 7500 + Apple Pro USB keyboard = crash city

7500 + Apple Pro USB keyboard = crash city
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2001, 08:31 AM

Has anyone got an Apple Pro USB keyboard + Apple Pro mouse to work with a PCI PowerMac + USB card? First I tried an OrangeMicro combo PCI card which couldn't handle USB at all unless I disabled the Firewire stuff. Then I got separate cards - Keyspan USB and Swann Firewire - which at least got all peripherals recognised, but it was always crash city whenever I used the mouse/keyboard in Word 98. I'm about to give up and donate the keyboard to charity.... TIA

Stan
Stan The Man
+Naked UnderThis Macintosh+

Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2001, 12:24 PM

Stan the Man--
Yes, I use this combo all the time. I have a 7600/132, USB card and Pro Keyboard and Mouse. Have used the combo for over a year.

However, when I first got it all set up I had exactly the same problems with Word 98 (and Excel 98 as well). Here is my solution, which works (but sure ain't elegant):

Set your startup so that the first thing you see when get to the desktop is a blank Textedit screen. Type a few characters, hit return, quit Textedit. From then on the Microsoft products act just fine.

I don't know why it works, it just does.

Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2001, 01:58 PM

Sorry Stan, I was crossing OS X with OS 9. It should have read Simpletext (OS 9) not Textedit (OS X).

So just put a blank Simpletext document that you've previously saved into the Startup items folder. At startup, type in it and quit Simpletext before you do anything else in OS 9.

Please report back on results!!!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2001, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by WizOSX:
<STRONG>Sorry Stan, I was crossing OS X with OS 9. It should have read Simpletext (OS 9) not Textedit (OS X).

So just put a blank Simpletext document that you've previously saved into the Startup items folder. At startup, type in it and quit Simpletext before you do anything else in OS 9.

Please report back on results!!!</STRONG>
Intersting fix, which I will try and report back on -- but I will be double testing because I have now upgraded to Word 2001 which maybe behaves the same way and maybe doesn't (there's somethinbg in the ReadMe about finally making Word comply with USB keyboard requirements). So I will first try without your fix, and then if necessary, with it.

Stan
Stan The Man
+Naked UnderThis Macintosh+

Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2001, 11:42 PM

BTW--

The problem was permanently solved because I loaded OS X on the 7600/132. It has 128mb of RAM and a 9gb hard drive (but does NOT have a G3 upgrade card). Although it is somewhat slow, I like OS X so much better than OS 9 that I galdly put up with the slowness. AND--Office v. X runs just fine on the machine as well. Of course there is no problem with the keyboard and mouse because USB is not an add-on in OS X as it is in OS 9.

You might consider OS X on your 7500, depending on your processor speed. You have to use Ryan Rempel's UUM patch to get it working though. But I've found it a lot of fun doing it.

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2001, 01:23 AM

YOU got OSX running on a 132 MHz 603/4, WOW!!! I didn't think you could do that...... how stable is it, same as it is on newer macs?
I just might get a 200MHz 604 mac for a server....

Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2001, 02:25 AM

I've had OS X running on the 7600/132 for about 2 weeks and it has been 100% stable. The only negative is that most operations take about 2-3 times as long as on my Ti Powerbook 550 (256mb RAM)--for example, graphing in Excel, Internet searches, opening docs within docs in Word, etc.

I've bought a 200mhz 604e to boost the speed as well as extra cache (take 256k up to 512k), both of which should help. Both were very cheap. I'll report on how much improvement they give. Then I'll get more RAM.

Forum Links
Forum Rules