Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > What is the best - most current OS I can install on a Peforma 6300?

What is the best - most current OS I can install on a Peforma 6300?
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2001, 01:55 PM

I'm thinking about taking my 6300CD out of storage to give to my father as an internet box. I retired it (actually just last year) with 7.5.5. I had tried OS8 when it first came out and I hated it so I removed it. I would probably leave 7.5.5 alone, but I am worried about being able to update Netscape or IE with the most recent plug-ins that are necessary to surf. What do you think?

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2001, 04:59 PM

Mac OS 9.0 should work on it, just do a custom install to remove all the things you don't need though to speed it up.

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2001, 06:02 PM

What's wrong with OS 8?

9 is way too sluggish for such a slow mac. If you don't like 8 why should you like 8.5 or above? You may as well stick with 7.6.1.

Dec 30, 2001, 06:22 PM

I'd say 8.6 and stay away from 9.x unless you have plenty of ram (upwards of 64 megs) . I think 8.6 is close enough to the architecture of 9 and rock solid stable. But can I ask why you hated 8?

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2001, 07:13 PM

I don't recall "exactly" what it was about 8 that I didn't like, but it was enough to make me 86-it and go back to 7.5. I do remember really hating it though. I did find 9 to be much better for the few months I used it before I switching to 10. I guess what I was hoping for, was to be able to get to 9, but the concensus so far says no. BTW, I did up the RAM a bit from the factory installation. If I do a custom install and just use it for surfing, do you think I can run 10.1.2 on it?

Dec 30, 2001, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by TonyRado:
[QBBTW, I did up the RAM a bit from the factory installation. If I do a custom install and just use it for surfing, do you think I can run 10.1.2 on it? [/QB]
Nope, no chance what so ever to run X on that without some G3 upgrade card on it, and then it would have to be a card whose manufacturer supported their processor to run X (like Sonnet).

And you CAN run 9.x on the 6300 it just will be slowwe than 8.6. I just gave you what was just the faster option. If it were me though and the 6300 has a stock 160 MHz PPC processor and less than 64 megs of RAM 8.6 would be my choice. Up that to at least 96 megs and I'd consider 9.1

BTP
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2001, 01:25 AM

If you are going with an 8.x, go with 8.6.

I too suggest running 9 as well, I just don't think 9.1 will install on it for some reason. 9.0 will, but I think that is it. Also, upping the RAM can be done cheaply, I recommend that strongly.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2001, 01:28 PM

Seems a bit odd to like OS 9 but not 8.x. Visually and functionally they're pretty much the same. OS 9 add capabilities for multiple users and some enhanced Sherlock functions and some other tidbits. Personally, I'd use 8.6 on that machine.

Bear in mind that with 7.x you'll be able to run few modern apps--especially the new versions of IE or Netscape. I, too, have been acccused of being a traditionalist (and other things) for not liking OS X, but 7.5? Yikes, dude, drag yourself into the 90s at least. See you there.

Remember, Windows is just DOS in a clown face.

Dec 31, 2001, 02:08 PM

After recently retiring a PowerPC 6500/250, I would have to say that I thought OS 8.6 was the most stable OS to date. Just my 2 cents

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2001, 02:43 PM

I, too, have been acccused of being a traditionalist (and other things) for not liking OS X, but 7.5? Yikes, dude, drag yourself into the 90s at least. See you there.
(1) 7.5.5 users are "retro"

(2) Current OS = 10.1.2

But anyway, which is it for the 6300. 8.6 or 9.0 ??? ThanX

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2002, 05:59 PM

the 6300 has a stock 160 MHz PPC processor
The 6300 has a 100MHz 603e processor. And the maximum RAM it supports is 64MB.

Personally I would use OS8, but since you don't like that, it's probably 8.6. Don't bother with 9, there really aren't many new features that would increase the usage of your mac.

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2002, 06:24 PM

Thanks for all the feedback! The processor is 100 MHz. O.K., so it looks like 8.6 is the way to go. I will have to check how much RAM I have, but if FireFly is right ["64 MB is the max"], then I am pretty sure that I maxed it out already. Now, does anyone know where I get a copy of the OS? I checked VersionTracker, nothing. I checked Apple's site, the update from 8.5 to 8.6 linked me to 10! Wow, I just realized that this d/l would sooo slow on the Performa anyway! Any suggestions (aside from stick w/ 7.5)???

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2002, 06:41 PM

8.6 was only posted as an update to 8.5. Many later retail boxes of 8.5 came with the 8.6 update, and that update installed with 8.5. Apple still considers 8.6 a revenue bearing OS version, especially considering how well it runs on so many PowerPC machines from the past. You may be able to call the apple store and order a retail box, but I would suggest going on eBay and looking for a retail box or 8.6 or 8.5 with the 8.6 update. Or you can get a retail box of 8.5 and download the 8.6 update, which is still very much on Apple's site, someplace.

Jerome

Senior User
Jan 2, 2002, 08:28 PM

7.6: $99? (I wasn't a mac user then)
8.0: You pay $99
8.1: free
8.5: $99
8.6: free
9.0: $99
9.1: free
9.2: free
10.0.0: $129 (with free 9.2.1)
10.0.X: free
10.1: $20 or free
10.1.X: free (so far)
See a trend?

Go with 8.6. You'll have to buy 8.5 full retail, but look around (ebay and such). You shouldn't have to pay more than $50-60. You can still get the 8.6 update from Apple here

or here:
http://downloAd.info.apple.com/Apple...Update.smi.bin
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2002, 09:46 PM

You(s) rock! Thank you all for the advice. Think I'll try 8.5 on Ebay first since I am not looking forward to d/l-ing the whole thing on a 28.8 dial-up. (Guess I'll check out a 56k while I'm at at it). Thanks again!

Forum Links
Forum Rules