Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > should I updgrade a 601 or a 604?

should I updgrade a 601 or a 604?
taylorv
Sep 27, 2000, 02:19 PM

Is there any difference bewteen upgrading a PPC 601 machine (7500, PowerCurve) versus and PPC 604 machine?

I'm looking to buy a older computer and put a G3 card in it, and I don't care about the case or anything like that. I can get a 601 machine for $100 less than a 604 machine. But I'm not sure what kind of preformace differences I will encounter.

The Wolfe
Sep 27, 2000, 06:57 PM

The differences between getting a 7500 or PowerComputing equivalent with a 601 chip and getting a 7600 or equivalent with a 604 chip is quite slim. The 7500 can be upgraded just as much as the 7600 (it uses the same slot), and I'm sure the PowerComputing models follow the same path.

My opinion: The 7500 and 7600 models were some of the finest Apple machines ever made. Either one would make a good, upgradeable, flexible and speedy system. It's unclear if these models will run OS X, but the point it moot if it's classic compatibility you care about.

Shreve Systems (last time I checked) had some PowerComputing models for sale for $100. I believe they're the models based on the 7500 logic board design. Of course, they're O/0/0 configurations, but it's still not a bad deal.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Tim Michael (finboy)
Sep 27, 2000, 11:13 PM

I think the price of RAM would make my choice for me. Either machine is very highly rated and available, and parts are plentiful for the future too.

Also, does either use an ATA hard drive internally (I can't remember). That would seal it. Large SCSI drives are getting harder and harder to find these days.

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2000, 06:44 AM

OK, The PowerMac 7X00 series:
All of this series have basically the same form factor except the later 7300 series have no RCA input/output ports.
There is no internal IDE/ATA in any, only SCSI but you can get an ATA66 card for $99. Memory options I think are all the same.
I think the 7200 is a good option because one of the card makers (can't remember which) just made an upgrade card which increases the system bus performance heaps which is one of the critical things when upgrading. They are later coming out with a similar card for the rest of these computers with similar technology. Right now you have to get the PCI upgrades or ZIFF upgrades with carrier cards which don't improve bus performance. This means most of these systems can only be really upgraded to 300-300mhz.
All take the same type of memory and I think all have 8 DIMM slots (Each can take 128 Mb of EDO of standard 168pin memory)
The 7200 and 7500 series had 601's but the 7200 had some weird cache mounted daughtercard which upgrade makers originally couldn't make upgrades for. Taht new card now though is great.
The 7300, 7600 have 604's. I have a 7300/180 and Its a great system. They are quite expensive to upgrade fully though so beware!
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

The Wolfe
Oct 2, 2000, 04:07 AM

the 7200's arn't nearly as good as the 75/7600's in my experiances. They had some serious quality problems with many units (the cases rattled, buzzed, fell apart, etc). The upgrade for the 7200's are kind of expensive and give you the same preformance as the upgrades for the 7500 and 7600's plus the 7200's have half as many memory slots.

Stay away from the 7200/75's if you can.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

[This message has been edited by The Wolfe (edited 10-02-2000).]

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2000, 05:28 PM

Yep, the 7200 upgrades are brand new and untested, so stay away from those.

They're still cheap, though, because folks don't know about the upgrades yet.
He can be fixed -- you can't.

The Wolfe
Oct 2, 2000, 08:51 PM

Actually large SCSI drives arn't nearly as expensive as you might think. 50-pin narrow drives cost about $120 for 9GB. You can find good deals if you can live with a full height drive too. Pricewatch.com had a 9GB 50-pin narrow drive for $40.

Check pricewatch for good deals.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2000, 10:00 AM

I have a PM 7600 running on an XLR8 ZIF Carrier G3 400MHz, 1MB backside cache @ 266 MHz, (without any overclocking) with 512 MB RAM and it's zipping along.

This is the third upgrade from the original 132MHz 604 chip. True, the bus speed is a limiting factor but there is a noticeable difference from the previous card (Newer Tech G3 300), epscially if you are running graphics programs i.e., Photoshop and Illustrator.

The other posters are right. This is a fine machine, one of the easiest to upgrade. ($400-500) Grab one if you can.

Forum Links
Forum Rules