Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > need help from graphic card experts...especially with PowerMac 6500's

need help from graphic card experts...especially with PowerMac 6500's
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2000, 11:57 PM

Hello everyone,

For well over a year, I've been struggling with the incompatibility between my ATI Rage Orion Card and my Sonnet G3 L2 upgrade chip. The incompatibility will cause my computer to freeze up solid requiring a hard restart. The work around for this problem is to disable the ATI 2d graphics acceleration, which in turn causes slow general system performance (windows scrolling, etc..). I have tried EVERY suggestion given by both Sonnet and ATI to resolve this conflict. I have been to "xlr8yourmac.com" and the "6400zone" and have tried to do everything they suggested. I have had no success. The biggest pain in the butt is when I forget to disable the ATI graphics acceleration, and my computer freezes. It is very, very frustrating. The last straw was when the latest Sonnet upgrade had no effect. I am using all the latest drivers for both Sonnet and ATI cards. Am using MacOS 9.0.4

I really like this computer, but with the new G4's looking so good, I'm torn as to whether I should start saving my money for a new computer, or should I keep this old bugger kicking along. I guess I would like to keep this computer for a few more months, and maybe even keep it for a second computer if I did get a new G4, so I'm trying to decide if a different graphics card might be the way to go. Mind you, I did try the Formac card, and I had the exact same type of problem (it was even worse with the formac). Would one of the new Voodoo cards be something for worth trying? Has anyone here gone through the same problem I am, and fixed it by replacing the ATI card with a Voodoo card? If so, what Voodoo card was it?

Thanks alot for any advice,

Lanny

Forum Links
Forum Rules