Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 5500, OS9, TV Card

5500, OS9, TV Card
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2002, 08:43 AM

Hey all... I have a PowerMac 5500/250, which came with an Apple TV/Video card with AV ports, S-Video, and an antenna line-in.

I used to use it all the time as a TV; now, when I go to use it, it doesn't work. I can't tune the channels; the dialog comes up, but I can't tune anything.

Any ideas? The antenna is fine, the card should be (but I have a spare if it isn't), and yeah... S-Video in works fine, so... I'm stumped, completely.

[ 05-11-2002: Message edited by: Cipher13 ]

Clinically Insane
May 11, 2002, 12:49 AM

No ideas?

Professional Poster
May 11, 2002, 06:13 AM

maybe a busted tuner chip?
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Clinically Insane
May 11, 2002, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
<STRONG>maybe a busted tuner chip?</STRONG>
Possibly. I'll chuck the other tuner in there later tonight and see how it goes.

Clinically Insane
May 12, 2002, 02:35 AM

No luck there...

May 19, 2002, 03:14 AM

Hi there from across ths ditch!

This may be way off the beam, but have you checked that there is signal at the end of your antenna cable?

If there is, and you are still not getting anything through, does the centre pin of your coax plug fit snugly into the socket on the card? I have seen instances where the centre of the coax socket has become slightly bent out of shape and therefore loose, and the pin in the plug doesn't actually contact, so no signal!

maybe worth a look............?????

BTW how come your 5500/250 has a TV tuner? Mine doesn't. I have the video in (and S vid as well) but not TV. Feel like parting with one of your spare ones by any chance?

The crusaders will win the super 12, sorry.

cheers
Scotty
NZ

Classic 4/40
LC575 36/330
PB 5300c 64/750
PB 1400c 32/1GB
PM 5500/250 AIO 128/4 "blackmac"
iMac original G3 233 288/6
Power Mac G4 400 768/10+18
iMac G5 2.0 17" 1GB/180GB

I told my Dad that I wanted to be a musician when I grew up, and he said "Son, you can't have it both ways."

Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2002, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>Hey all... I have a PowerMac 5500/250, which came with an Apple TV/Video card with AV ports, S-Video, and an antenna line-in.

I used to use it all the time as a TV; now, when I go to use it, it doesn't work. I can't tune the channels; the dialog comes up, but I can't tune anything.

Any ideas? The antenna is fine, the card should be (but I have a spare if it isn't), and yeah... S-Video in works fine, so... I'm stumped, completely.

[ 05-11-2002: Message edited by: Cipher13 ]</STRONG>
I have a 5500 with the Apple Video System kit (includes TV Tuner, etc.) and it has problems under OS 8.6 and up. I have two partitions, one has the original OS that came with the comp (OS 7.5.3 I think, and the other 9.1). I use 9.1 because my ethernet is faster (it's a small network server/router) but we used to have to boot to the older system if we wanted video/to digitize something.

Give it a try and see if it's the OS. If it's not, test the cable, if it's not the cable, you've narrowed it down to either the
A) Outlet
B)TV Tuner card.

Good luck.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
E. F. Schumacher

Forum Links
Forum Rules