Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 7200/8200 Sonnet G3 upgrade cards..

7200/8200 Sonnet G3 upgrade cards..
Senior User
Oct 3, 2000, 04:29 PM

OK, I have an old 8200/120 kicking about.. I hardly use it these days. In fact I was just about to give it to somebody when Lo and Behold.. Out pops this Sonnet upgrade card for this supposedly non upgradeable machine! There is only one version of this card, 400MHz G3. It supposedly also doubles the bus speed to the dizzy heights of 66MHz. This kind of performance is enough for me.. Does this mean it might be worth holding on to this Mac after all? I'm interested to hear any opinions..
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2000, 09:18 AM
several members of my family and a few friends have used Sonnet cards with great satisfaction, not that particular one though
Oct 4, 2000, 11:08 PM
It's $500! I think it's a marvel of engineering innovation, but when you consider the costs of upgrading other components on your machine, as well, it gets too pricey. But, it's your call.
Senior User
Oct 5, 2000, 06:47 AM
Here in England, Chances are that it will work out even more expensive.. But out of my 3 Mac's. My 8200 is the only one with PCI slots (I also have an iMac DVSE and an iBook 466). Meaning it's the only Mac that will take audio cards and video cards etc, which for me could be useful... If I bought that upgrade card, then I'd certainly need more memory too, and i'm not so sure how easy it would be to get memory for old Mac's.. The clincher will be the cost of the card by the time it comes over to England.. Hmm..
Forum Links
Forum Rules