Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > SE/30 Should I buy it?

SE/30 Should I buy it?
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2002, 07:24 AM

I've got a chance to get my hands on a mint condition SE/30 for not much money. 8mg of ram, 40mg HD.

Problem is, what would I do with it? My current setup is 2 iBooks, airport, DSL.

Could I use it as a server? I could get a scssi - ethernet converter and hook it up to my DSL modem - if the drivers work in 7.5 which I doubt.
If that works, could I whack a huge HD in it and use it as a Carracho server?

Decisions, decisions. I don't want to just buy it and then let it gather dust in the attic.

Professional Poster
May 15, 2002, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
<STRONG>I've got a chance to get my hands on a mint condition SE/30 for not much money. 8mg of ram, 40mg HD.

Problem is, what would I do with it? My current setup is 2 iBooks, airport, DSL.

Could I use it as a server? I could get a scssi - ethernet converter and hook it up to my DSL modem - if the drivers work in 7.5 which I doubt.
If that works, could I whack a huge HD in it and use it as a Carracho server?

Decisions, decisions. I don't want to just buy it and then let it gather dust in the attic.</STRONG>
There are ethernet cards for SE/30's- perhaps you could find one cheaper than the SCSI-&gt;ethernet converter. It's a cool little machine that would make a nice server. Except for lacking a color screen, it's the best compact Mac ever made, can hold the most RAM, the fastest, etc.

Paco

Professional Poster
May 16, 2002, 12:04 AM

ive got an SE/30 for sale..

8MB Ram,
80MB HD
good screen....no dead pixels or burn it
Ethernet card

normal wear and tear but nothing major...

AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules