Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > LC 630 12MB OS8.1 AOL 3.0.1 Log In trouble

LC 630 12MB OS8.1 AOL 3.0.1 Log In trouble
martypwatt
Oct 6, 2000, 01:41 AM

Am in a situation here. Have an old Mac ( LC 630 12MB ) donated to me. At the moment , no option to get more RAM. Also stuck with an AOL account. AOL 3.0.1 , the only version the computer accepted off the 5.0 aol disk. The Mac is running OS 8.1 . Things are basicly fine ; I can access my eMail. But , of course , it keeps crashing when I try to surf. Would like to run iCab or another browser other than the one on the AOL 3 ( my idea being that they're more stable than the old AOL 3 browser ) , but anything other than the AOL won't access my YAHOO MAIL. In fact , even in the AOL enviroment , I can't seem to " log in " to almost anything. For instance ePeople/no wonder tech support.
Any ideas ?
Memory being the problem here : any tips. With VM , I get up to 225 RAM . What's optimal ? More, less ? What about RAM DISK ? Giving AOL more , or less memory. I'm running in B & W , sometimes 4 color.
Other idea : don't some browsers IE , netscape take up less system resources when used even though though they're much bigger on the hardrive than the older ones like Netscape 3 ?
Have pruned the system down to where it shows 4.3 MB in About This Mac. Of course it crashes alot above and beyond the Log In problem. Are older versions of Ram Doubler available now for free download ? Recommended ?
Thanks for any help ,
Marty

The Wolfe
Oct 6, 2000, 03:09 AM

Start with turning on virtual memory to about 40MB, and turn off any RAM Disk that is on. This will only waste further the memory you have.

Don't set the AOL app to use much less memory than it asks, this is a major cause of instability. iCab would work well in your low memory situation.

The color of your display doesn't effect the memory useage of the system. Video memory is independent of the system memory. Go for some 8 or 16-bit.

See how the computer runs with VM turned on to 40MB. This will probably help.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

martypwatt
Oct 6, 2000, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the quick reply , Elliot . Actually the system seems to be running a bit more smoothly with VM turned all the way up to -like- 225 . What are the consequences of this ? Is there an optimum balance between too little and too much VM ? Does seem to display faster at 4bit or 16bit ? Still my problem, at the moment, seems to be the conflict 'tween iCab ( or any browser outside the AOL 3 enviroment ) and AOL. Doesn't seem to handle " Log Ins" , or " passwords " ? Does OS 7.6 for instance work better on an old Mac like this ( LC 630 12MB ) than OS 8.1 ?
Thanks again . Great forum,

Marty

The Wolfe
Oct 6, 2000, 02:40 PM

With regard to VM, you probably won't run into any serious problems with it cranked all the way up, but it won't speed up things any over a certain amount (dependent on how my physical RAM you have). With 12MB of RAM anything over 64MB is going to be pretty useless. You kind of have to gauge VM like a ratio. Anything over 10 times the amount of memory you have is't going to do you any more good than 6 times for example.

You graphics may well run a bit faster at 4-bit color since the graphics processors in these machines aren't the fastest things.

As for your problem with loging in and passwords though non-AOL browsers, check through your prefrences in iCab or IE throughly. If the probelem isn't in that area, then is with AOL. I had a similar problem with AOL a while back where it wouldn't let me log in to any websites, even through the AOL browser. I forget how I fixed it, but I'll post my solution (which may be related to your own problem) when I remember.

I wouldn't downgrade to 7.6. 8.1 is one of the most stable releases of the MacOS, and it runs pretty good on your class machine.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Forum Links
Forum Rules