Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > TV and OSX on older machines

TV and OSX on older machines
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2002, 10:24 PM

I'm using my 7600/AV with OS X. The machine has video-in (both NTSC and Svideo). I have a VCR plugged into the back of the MAC. In OS 9 the result is fairly good full screen TV. I really wish I could do the same in OS X--sometimes its nice to be working and also have golf, baseball etc on "in the background." Obviously, the signal is coming into the motherboard (through PCI I guess). Has anyone gotten the signal on the screen in OS X? Anyone tried this with Apple's built in video (how about people with the Blue & White with AV)?

Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2002, 10:44 AM

I'm quite sure that you need a TV-reception program for it to work on OS X. I used to have a TV tuner that worked for OS 9, but had to run it under Classic for X.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2002, 11:38 AM

Have you tried btv from bensoftware? It's carbonized, and should do what you're looking for.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

<Ben Bird>
Jan 16, 2002, 01:13 PM

Unfortunately there is currently no OSX driver software from Apple for the built in analogue video hardware of any Mac so not even my video software BTV (or any other video software) will be able to make it work, even though BTV is Carbonized to run natively on OSX. Currently the only solution for watching TV is to use a DV device - video input/TV cards will become usable as driver software gets written.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2002, 04:45 PM

in older versions of os X, the source was replaced by a counter, simulating a real source without any hardware access... it has been removed in 10.1

This card is so useful, I use it for video/audio input and to output it too (TV mirroring)

so bad, I thought my computer was "supported" ... oh well
...happiness is not a fish that you can catch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules