Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Performa 630

Performa 630
MacinDave
Oct 10, 2000, 11:59 AM

I am the proud owner of a Performa 630 which I would like to upgrade to a Power Mac. Can anyone tell me where I would get one of the old Performa upgrade cards?

SpinyNorman
Oct 10, 2000, 12:45 PM

ebay is your best bet, but they fetch a pretty good price. If you're looking for better performance, you can find a native PPC machine for not a whole lot more than the upgrade card.

The Wolfe
Oct 10, 2000, 05:11 PM

With new iMac prices down to $799, and used iMac's going for $500 or less, upgrading a Performa 630 probably wouldn't be your best bet.
http://www.Shrevesystems.com has upgrades for many of the Performa machines, although they're kind of expensive.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Tim Michael (finboy)
Oct 14, 2000, 01:42 PM

You can buy a Performa 62xx or similar and swap the motherboards. Alternatively, buy the Performa PPC, use the two memory slots to add whatever configuration of 72-pin SIMMs you want (max 64M, but they don't have to match!) and save the 630 for the power supply when the PPCs goes out. Everything else should be about the same for those two systems except the motherboards. Best reason to do this -- Performas use IDE drives, the old Quadras and upgraded machines use SCSI harddrives, which are getting harder and harder to find. You can probably use the RAM from your 630 by just swapping it to a PPC. That's my legacy strategy for the next few years.

If you just HAVE TO HAVE the upgrade card, you can probably find one on ebay, or try sunrem.com and/or preowned.com .

wjohan
Oct 16, 2000, 12:28 AM

I upgraded my Performa 580CD to Power PC with a 6300 motherboard for about a hundred bucks...you can do the same with a 630.

VRL
Senior User
Oct 17, 2000, 06:14 AM

Just a few thoughts ... while upgrading can be a reasonable option here, you do have other choices. I've been given a few older Macs, including a 630 (I know, amazing what some people think is junk). I have dropped ethernet cards in them (about $35 each), and turned the 630 into my Home Automation computer using XTension. The 550 is my mail server (SIMS software is free), and the clunky 5200 serves web pages with Quid Pro Quo (also free software). The 5215 is my cookbook/answering machine/home finance computer. And I purchased a zippy G3 to do my work :-) Networking them all together was a breeze (just need an inexpensive hub). My point: There are many good uses for older Macs .. and as cheap as a new Macs are, I highly recommend getting one. (Reliable, fast - I love my G3!!)
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Forum Links
Forum Rules