Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > starmax won't turn on

starmax won't turn on
m7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2000, 01:08 PM

I have a starmax 3300(?) that will not turn on anymore. No amounts of meddling inside the box helps. The battery had died recently and was replaced. Otherwise it had been running fine. My guess is that it could be one of two things.

1.The power supply: it looks like its in good shape. Does any one know how to test a power supply.

2. The mother board: if it is this I am basically hosed. I got a decent amount of that special 3.3v ram in this thing. Can I use it on anything else? Anyone want the rest of this thing? Its going cheap.

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2000, 05:43 PM

I recently moved and took my j700 with me. Somewhere in the moving process, a tiny cord from the power supply go disconnected from the motherboard and whammo, the thing just sat there like junk. Track down all those power supply cables and see if you have any that aren't meant to daisy to other internal devices. Has it not worked at all since you replaced the battery, or did it just cease working one day?

Or if you've already scrapped it for parts, do ya have anything left? Email me if you do or just have questions..

nswartze@indiana.edu
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

m7  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2000, 05:50 PM

It worked fine after the battery was replaced for a couple of days.
I tested the battery and it was still good.
I will definately check the cables one more time.
Checking around this board I saw a lot of similar comments from people with performas, didn't these have the same Mboard design (tanzania(?))?
its not parted out yet!

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2000, 01:27 AM

yep, that's a tanzania board you've got there, good call. i've had some wacky problems with my powercenter150, too. scsi issues, i don't even remember what all. weird shtuff. had a power supply kick out on me, fan died first, nice signal for me.

you might want to check the message boards at powerwatch.com, the old center for powercomputing info. the powerbase was based on the tanzania board as well, and they might have some useful info there as well. very helpful folks..

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2000, 03:49 PM

this may not make you smile, but you may have been sold a crappy battery. if you can check that sucker for voltage, add that to your list of crap to try.

m7  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2000, 03:53 PM

I tested it before might as well try again

dw
Oct 22, 2000, 04:52 PM

on mine, the L2 cache was not seated fully on the mb. Try removing the l2 and see what happens. Try putting it back and make sure it is seated well.

For the power supply, is the fan running? Are there any lights at all, or is the whole thing completely silent? (do your drives spin up, etc?)

Definitely easy to replace the powersupply as it is a standard crappy pc power supply.

Forum Links
Forum Rules