Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Desktop pics

Desktop pics
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2002, 12:11 AM

If I try to change my Desktop Pictures , all I get is a pink square in the preview box. The first time it happened it promted me to get a QuickTime update, which I did but still no change. If I "click and drag" a JPEG into the open window it'll load ok (but that's a pain and it ain't right).
I've gone through all my extensions but couldn't find anything wrong . I've also ran TechTool and everything checked out ok (and I rebuilt the desktop with the same results).
Anybody got any idea what's going on ?
Brought to you by the Performa 6320
with 48mb ram and a StarMax 3000/160 with 96mb ram and both on OS 8.1
And of course Netscape 4.79

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2002, 02:27 AM

Try trashing the desktop pictures prefs. You mentioned extensions so I assume your using 9 or earlier. I had trouble with desktop picts on 8.1 and 8.5. Then my advice would be to upgrade.

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2002, 02:30 AM

Sorry, didn't catch the end of your note. OS 8.1 had the seperate desktop picture control panel. It's a little bit quarky. Try trashing the prefs. I still think I'd upgrade to at least 8.6.

redeew  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2002, 05:27 PM

I've trashed everything that's even remotely related. No good.
I even reinstalled OS 8 and 8.1 . Worked for a day or so and quit.

Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2002, 03:28 AM

It's been a long time since I've seen this problem, but if I recall correctly, it's the format that the image is in. For example, if the image you are trying to display is a GIF, try converting it to JPEG, or vice versa. I don't remember off the top of my head which formats are acceptable for Desktop Pictures. You can use the shareware application GraphicConverter to convert images from one format to another. Also, sometimes I have JPEGs that "aren't quite right", and I have to open them in GraphicConverter and re-save them under a different name. Also, I think that there have been times when the little preview window shows pink, yet the image displays fine on the desktop. Have you tried going ahead and setting the desktop even thought the preview is pink? Hope this helps. If you still have problems, let us know the format of the image you are trying to use.

Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2002, 03:59 AM

I just did some experimenting (in 9 - I won't have access to a box with 8 on it until tomorrow...). I found a corrupted image, and it displays as pink in the preview, but it shows ok when I go ahead and set the desktop - or at least it shows as ok as a corrupted image can. So I think your problem is probably the particular image that you are trying to set as your desktop picture.

<redeew>
Feb 22, 2002, 08:43 AM

It does work when I change it from JPEG .
It's just that it worked with all types (or atleast all I've ever tried) but just up and quit doing it one day and won't go back. And if I go-a-head and load the pink screen , I get nothing but pattern.from

Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2002, 12:01 PM

So it's giving the pink screen for ALL JPEG images that you are trying to set as the Desktop Picture? In the testing I've been doing, getting the pink screen is repeatable for certain JPEGs, but others work fine... (but I'm using OS 9 with QT 5 Pro) Hmmm... In the words of Mr Spock - "Fascinating." Do you have JPEGView? I've noticed that it has problems with some JPEGs that (it says) have an "unsupported EOF marker", or something like that. If you have JPEGView, try opening the images with it, and see if you get that error message.

Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2002, 05:55 PM

I don't know if this will help, but sometimes gif images get appended jpg somehow. I remember in os8 if you used a trasparent gif the preview would be in pink.
"It's the cowards and weaklings and sorelosers who hide behind rules and fair play."
The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester

redeew  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2002, 07:23 PM

I have JPEGviewer , PhotoShop , PhotoPaint8 , GraphicsConverter and of course QuickTime along with a few other programs that read JPEGs and none are having any problems (did I mention that the problem is on my StarMax now too?).Also, DiskDoctor says there's nothing wrong with any of my files.

Forum Links
Forum Rules