Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Low modem speed Performa 6400 w/ Sonnet G3

Low modem speed Performa 6400 w/ Sonnet G3
nicholsp
Jul 9, 2000, 06:04 AM

I just upgraded my old Performa 6400/200 with a Sonnet G3 card. I also bought a new Global Village Teleport 56 modem. Works great, except I can only get an internet connection about 24 - 26Kbps. My PowerBook G3 connects using the same phone line and the same ISP at a solid 48.8 Kbps. I took the modem and put it on a friends machine and got a solid 48.8 with my ISP. This leads me to believe that I have an internal serial port proble. Anybody got any ideas??

Nick

------------------

Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2000, 10:44 AM

try as many different modem scripts as you can, search the fora for keywords 'modem script'

btw, i have found that GV external modems are nothing but a pain, and i have way too much experience with them on many different Macs (owned by many different people) in different locations here in the USA... i bought a GV 56K modem some years ago and i got rid of it shortly afterwards, undoubtedly the crappiest modem and modem software i have ever used

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2000, 01:13 PM

http://member.aol.com/zone6400/6400manual.html

Manuals >>>>>>>

Find more Info ..go to Home 6400!!!!!!

Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2000, 01:28 PM

the above post has little if any pertinent info re: the GV 56k and the 6400 upgraded with Sonnet...

the above post therefore represents something of a wild goose chase... very unhelpful as specifically regards your issue, perhaps there is something of use for your issue at that 6400 site, but a search of the site yielded nothing

Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2000, 01:31 PM

having had a great amount of experience with that POS modem in conjunction with many many different Mac models, i strongly recommend that you delete/disable any and all software components you may have installed for it, use only a modem script, and try several different modem scripts...

i can guarantee this will give you the best results though quite likely still unsatisfactory results, GV is garbage

and their tech support is a complete and unqualified disaster to be avoided at all costs

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 07-09-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules