Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > VGA Monitor w/ 8500/150

VGA Monitor w/ 8500/150
Jul 9, 2000, 11:30 PM

I have a PowerMac 8500/150. I want to get a HUGE 21 inch monitor. The VGA monitors are much cheaper than the Apple monitors. I have a VGA to Mac monitor cable that my current Apple 1705 MultipleScan monitor uses, it is male on both ends. Can I use any VGA or SVGA monitor with my Mac and the monitor cable that I am currently using?

[This message has been edited by fnevitt (edited 07-10-2000).]

Jul 10, 2000, 11:51 AM

I'm just guessing that the adapter you got with the Apple 1705 is an adapter allowing the Apple monitor to connect to a PC, and for that reason I think you will not be able use it to connect a 21" VGA to your 8500. The adapter probably is a Mac female to SVGA male, but you need a Mac male to SVGA female adapter.

With that in mind, let me recommend what has worked for me and another Mac support buddy of mine: buy a Sony 21". You'll get a 3 year warranty, the adapter you need, and a price that beats Apple monitors by a few hundred dollars.

Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2000, 01:53 PM

Go to this link, depending on the monitor you may need one or two adapters. I had a 8500/150 and one of those Sony 21" monitors with BNC RGB connectors, and I needed the sync on green adapter, along with an adapter that could tell my mac that the monitor should always be on 1024x768 and 72Hz. If you have questions, the people that work there are very helpful, and will try to get you working.
http://www.griffintechnology.com/video.html

Regards,
SpinCycle

Jul 11, 2000, 11:57 AM

I didn't think that any new monitor sold these days still used BNC connectors. If you buy a Sony CPD-E500, you should not have to worry about sync-on-green or any such trouble. The adapter included with that model is the one you will need. This will work, because I have used this monitor with an 8500/120.

[This message has been edited by Axiom (edited 07-11-2000).]

Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2000, 10:43 PM

You will not be able to use your current cable. You can get an adpter, either a fixed resolution, a multi-sync for a specific model, or a multi-model multi-sync(with DIP switches). Many manufacturers will include a Mac adapter with a new monitor, as do Sony and NEC.
Another option is to get a cheap video card with a VGA out. Then you can run the big monitor at a decent resolution and refresh rate...

fnevitt  (op)
Jul 11, 2000, 11:47 PM

Thank you Zac4mac your answer was most helpful!

Forum Links
Forum Rules