Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Powermac 5400/200 won't recognize HD

Powermac 5400/200 won't recognize HD
vidimac
Oct 13, 2000, 09:14 PM

I have been scavenging around my school and come across two powermacs, 5400/200 models. I've got one to work, but the other won't recognize hard drive. The computer gets stuck on the floppy with question mark. I have been able to get passed this with disk warrior, norton, and the system disk. However nothing recognizes the drive(including Apple disk utilities). I know a couple of 5400/200 have already had their HD's replaced in the building. Trying to reset the pram has been unsuccessful. Is there anything I can do before recognizing the drive dead? Thanks

Oct 14, 2000, 02:23 AM

it isn't dead - just needs to be reformatted or have a drive utility like Charismac or Speedtools to install a new driver.

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2000, 03:08 AM

Also, there are two screws that hold the back panel on the computer, remove them. Inside, you will find that the hard drive is right above the motherboard. Reseat the ATA connector and close the machine back up, this might resolve the problem. I have seen several vibrate themselves loose.

vidimac
Oct 17, 2000, 01:56 PM

The HD is a 1.6 GB Western Digital Caviar 21700. HD seems connected ok. Excuse my ignorance... isn't this a scsi drive? Disk setup says it can not find scsi drive. Is the playing of taps in order here?

[This message has been edited by vidimac (edited 10-17-2000).]

[This message has been edited by vidimac (edited 10-17-2000).]

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2000, 09:59 PM

I don't believe so, I am pretty sure it is IDE (a type of ATA). At least all of the other 5xxx allinones were.

Forum Links
Forum Rules