Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > pm7100 won't mount drive at startup

pm7100 won't mount drive at startup
Eeyore
Oct 13, 2000, 09:21 PM

I recently replaced the original SCSI HD from my power mac 7100 with a newer one.
I successfully installed mac OS 8, did a restart, and everything worked fine.

However, after shutting down and starting again, I get the question mark-blinking disk icon... I have to boot up off the CD again, mount the drive in Drive Setup, restart, and then it is all dandy until the next time I try to start it up cold. I've tried going into Drive Setup and checking off the 'automount at startup' boxes, but it never seems to survive a shutdown...

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Oct 14, 2000, 01:15 AM

I suggest reinstalling the OS again. Do that or try using another disk driver utility like Charismac or Speedtools to load another driver on the disk. Either way, the OS is not being recognized, or the boot sector might be corrupt. The GOOD part is that you can at least mount the disk, so all of your info is intact. so a format may not be necessary.

Good luck.

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2000, 02:09 AM

After you click the automount box, (or change any drive settings for that matter) you must update the drivers. This saves the changes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules