Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 1mb cache in 7600

1mb cache in 7600
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2002, 09:43 PM

Has anyone had any experiences they would like to relate (successful or unsuccessful) in putting a 1mb cache in a 7600. I received one yesterday but the machine refuses to boot (just stays on a black screen). When I put my 512k back in it works perfectly again. Resetting the PRAM doesn't help because the machine won't get that far with the 1mb in. What would the machine do if the card was bad?

BTW, if anyone has successfully got one going under OS X, has it made much of a difference?

Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2002, 01:17 AM

I upgraded the L2 cache in a 7600 a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, I don't remember what size it was, and the machine will be inaccessable until tomorrow, so I'll get back to you then with details. But as for what I DO remember - I upgraded the cache, and then about a week later upgraded the CPU from 132 MHz to 200 MHz. The cache upgrade made as big difference on performance as the CPU upgrade. Seems like they were both about a 30% bump in performance. I used the benchmarking portion of Norton 4.x to compare before/afters, and the machine was noticebly faster in all aspects of usage. Fortunately for me (unfortunately for you), both upgrades were pure plug n' play - I had no problems with either upgrade. Stay tuned for the size of the cache module I installed...

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2002, 04:26 AM

Where did you get you cache from? Cache is fairly specific to the model of Mac and is not interchangeable accross generations (8100 to 8600 for example). If the machine isn't booting when the cache is installed, then it doesn't like it and you probably need to find a different stick or different vendor.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2002, 10:48 AM

If I recall, the original 7600 allowed a max of 512K cache. Over the years, I upgraded the processor in mine a few times. Originally 132 MHz, I went to a Newer 232 604e, then a Newer G3 300 with 512 backside Cache and ultimately upgraded to an XLR8 G3 400 ZIF carrier which came with 1MB backside cache. All very easy to install. The original cache was removed. That box zipped! A similar upgrade would be the best way to go. The 7600 will continually be upgradeable as faster boards are made but with the caveat that the bus speed max is 50. OS X will run on the G3 board. Have plenty of RAM but note Apple does not support this install.

Originally posted by WizOSX:
<STRONG>Has anyone had any experiences they would like to relate (successful or unsuccessful) in putting a 1mb cache in a 7600. I received one yesterday but the machine refuses to boot (just stays on a black screen). When I put my 512k back in it works perfectly again. Resetting the PRAM doesn't help because the machine won't get that far with the 1mb in. What would the machine do if the card was bad?

BTW, if anyone has successfully got one going under OS X, has it made much of a difference?</STRONG>

<anonymous>
Jan 31, 2002, 11:06 AM

I thought I read or heard that you won't really notice any speed difference beyond 512k with that processer and that bus speed, but maybe that was the 603e, not the 604.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2002, 05:28 PM

There was a nice speed bump from the 256K to the 512K cache. And there was a noticable jump from the 132 MHz 604 to the 232 MHz 604e. But the real difference showed up with the upgrade to the G3 boards. With the XLR8 G3 400 installed with1MB backside cache and 512 MB RAM, Photoshop opened in 14 secs. Good solid speed using filters etc. on some fairly large files. It really doesn't pay to upgrade beyond a G3 though with the limited bus speed. But for what it is, performance is hardly shabby. A good little machine that hangs in there with the best of them.

Originally posted by &lt;anonymous&gt;:
<STRONG>I thought I read or heard that you won't really notice any speed difference beyond 512k with that processer and that bus speed, but maybe that was the 603e, not the 604.</STRONG>

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2002, 06:16 PM

Westblo--Now the really interesting question. Was the performance jump when you put in the G3 card more due to the G3 or maybe almost as much due to the fact that it had twice the cache?

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2002, 11:21 PM

I'd say both. The G3 uses backside cache, which happens to be a a more efficient set up. BTW I like the "westblo"... haven't seen that one before LOL :-)

Originally posted by WizOSX:
<STRONG>Westblo--Now the really interesting question. Was the performance jump when you put in the G3 card more due to the G3 or maybe almost as much due to the fact that it had twice the cache?</STRONG>

Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2002, 11:25 PM

Well, I checked on the L2 cache in my 7600. I did indeed upgrade it from the stock 256 kB to 1 MB. It installed without a hitch, and it produced a very noticeable performance increase. One thing I remember about it is that the cache stick was marked "MAX 50 MHz bus", which is what the bus speed is after the 200 MHz 604e CPU upgrade. (Stock bus speed with the 132 MHz 604 was 44 MHz.) Do you have a CPU upgrade in the box that might be pushing the bus speed over 50 MHz?

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2002, 11:44 PM

Just so everyone knows what I'm up to:

My main Mac now is a Ti Powerbook 550 (256k cache, 256mb RAM) which I bought in early November. My old 7600 was being used only for OS 9.1 until then--I had decided to wait to switch over to OS X until I bought the new hardware for it. After I bought the Powerbook:

I decided to slowly upgrade the 7600 in small increments to see what upgrades would give the most "bang for the buck" in OS X. I want to do everything EXCEPT buy the G3 or G4 upgrade card first, see where I am at, and then possibly buy the card. This process has been very interesting and maybe I will start another thread showing what each step "got me." Anyway, I began by installing OS X using Ryan Rempel's XPostFacto on the 7600 with 132mhz 604e, 128mb RAM and 256k L2 cache. In increments I've boosted the RAM to 320mb and the cache to 512k and "benchmarked" each step. The next step was to boost the cache to 1mb but the first DIMM I bought didn't work.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2002, 11:46 PM

Oh, one more thing, I also replaced the 132mz 604 with an Apple 200mhz 604e.

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2002, 09:47 AM

In my 7600, no. The XLR8 board does allow overclocking, which I did not touch nor recommend. My upgrades provided the performance gains I was looking for. The 7600 offers good expansion and upgrade options, but it does have limits. However, anyone looking to buy a Mac on the cheap and juice it up can do so very nicely with a 7600 and without spending beaucoup bucks.

Originally posted by Sword of Orion:
<STRONG>Well, I checked on the L2 cache in my 7600. I did indeed upgrade it from the stock 256 kB to 1 MB. It installed without a hitch, and it produced a very noticeable performance increase. One thing I remember about it is that the cache stick was marked "MAX 50 MHz bus", which is what the bus speed is after the 200 MHz 604e CPU upgrade. (Stock bus speed with the 132 MHz 604 was 44 MHz.) Do you have a CPU upgrade in the box that might be pushing the bus speed over 50 MHz?</STRONG>

Forum Links
Forum Rules