Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > AGP "PRO" slot in the new G5's?

AGP "PRO" slot in the new G5's?
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2003, 08:09 PM

Does anybody have any good shots of the AGP slot on the new G5's? There are no pictures or technical specs of these interfaces on the Apple site... Does anybody know if they are 110 or 50 slots?

Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2003, 08:16 PM

All I know is they're AGP 8X
( Last edited by MindFad; Jul 4, 2003 at 11:46 PM. )

Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2003, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
I'll I know is they're AGP 8X
Right... but that's not what makes an agp slot an agp pro slot....

Technically, an AGP Pro slot has it's own powered bus integrated into the actual slot. This accommodates bigger "workstation" boards that need the extra juice to power the components on the card. Cards like the ATI 9700 Pro have a connector on the back of the card that connects to a molex cable instead of drawing power from the agp slot itself. These cards work on a regular agp slot. They are *not* agp pro card designs... even though they are named 9700 Pro. The 9700 Pro is a gaming card and not a workstation card. Card makers like 3D Labs make true agp pro cards. They are huge, full length cards that have multiple gpu's, more memory and specialized memory architectures designed for programs like CAD and digital content creation (DCC).

These cards usually come in 2 different configurations... AGP Pro 110 and AGP Pro 50. These agp pro slots are longer than the regular agp slots... they look like 64bit pci slots because they are bigger.

Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2003, 11:07 PM

Apple has released a preliminary developer spec sheet http://developer.apple.com/documenta...PowerMacG5.pdf

This is an excerpt regarding the AGP slot:

Accelerated Graphics Port Bus
The accelerated graphics port (AGP 8x Pro) bus is a 266/533 MHz, 32-bit bus
connecting the AGP card to the U3 IC. DDR data is transmitted at both edges of the
clock for peak transfers of 2.1 GBps.
The AGP bus is an enhanced PCI bus with extra functionality to burst texture data
and other graphics across the port up to 8 times faster than a 66 MHz PCI port. The
Power Mac G5 computer’s AGP implementation is compatible with version 3 of the
AGP specification and with the Pro version of AGP. AGP 3.0 enables deeply
pipelined memory read and write operations and demultiplexing of address and
data on the bus.
To further improve the performance of the AGP bus, the U3 IC supports a graphics
address remapping table (GART). Because the virtual memory system organizes
main memory as randomly distributed 4 KB pages, DMA transactions for more
than 4 KB of data must perform scatter-gather operations. To avoid this necessity
for AGP transactions, the GART is used by the AGP bridge in the U3 to translate a
linear address space for AGP transactions into physical addresses in main memory.
For more information on the graphics cards installed in the AGP slot, refer to
“Graphics Cards” (page 33).
Note: The AGP bus is 1.5 V only and is not backward compatible. Older AGP
cards will not work in the Power Mac G5 computer.
HyperNova Software, LLC
Check out SuperScanner! for the iPad

Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2003, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by msuper69:
Apple has released a preliminary developer spec sheet http://developer.apple.com/documenta...PowerMacG5.pdf

This is an excerpt regarding the AGP slot:

Accelerated Graphics Port Bus
The accelerated graphics port (AGP 8x Pro) bus is a 266/533 MHz, 32-bit bus
connecting the AGP card to the U3 IC. DDR data is transmitted at both edges of the
clock for peak transfers of 2.1 GBps.
The AGP bus is an enhanced PCI bus with extra functionality to burst texture data
and other graphics across the port up to 8 times faster than a 66 MHz PCI port. The
Power Mac G5 computer’s AGP implementation is compatible with version 3 of the
AGP specification and with the Pro version of AGP. AGP 3.0 enables deeply
pipelined memory read and write operations and demultiplexing of address and
data on the bus.
To further improve the performance of the AGP bus, the U3 IC supports a graphics
address remapping table (GART). Because the virtual memory system organizes
main memory as randomly distributed 4 KB pages, DMA transactions for more
than 4 KB of data must perform scatter-gather operations. To avoid this necessity
for AGP transactions, the GART is used by the AGP bridge in the U3 to translate a
linear address space for AGP transactions into physical addresses in main memory.
For more information on the graphics cards installed in the AGP slot, refer to
“Graphics Cards” (page 33).
Note: The AGP bus is 1.5 V only and is not backward compatible. Older AGP
cards will not work in the Power Mac G5 computer.
yeah, I already read this... it still says nothing but AGP pro which still brings me to my question What exaclty do they mean by "Pro"...

To be technical, the G4 agp cards had bus powered usb over the card to interface... I'm not that sure if this is what they are referring to though. I need "110" or "50". interesting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules