Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > (7200)pw'r macs to OSX is it possible/expensive?

(7200)pw'r macs to OSX is it possible/expensive?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2003, 01:47 PM

A buddy of mine was gonna trash an old 7200/180 powermac, he gave it to me for free, it still runs 8.5 fine, got 2gb HD and 128 ram. my question for any of you who like to tinker with old systems is..how affordable/do-able is it to bring it into the OSX world? I am assuming I'd have to rplace the processor with like a sonnet g4 upgrade? anyone done this, just curious as to the price range of it, and if its a real pain in the butt to do..or any found any good uses for older non-upgradable machines. thanks-B

Admin Emeritus
Nov 20, 2003, 02:35 PM

That Mac will never run OS X, even with a processor upgrade. And even if it could, you wouldn't want to.

Use it for old Mac games running Mac OS 7.6.1. Or as a print server. Or something.

tooki

Cung  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2003, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the info tooki, making it a printer server is not a bad idea

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2003, 02:17 AM

I've got a 7500 with a G3 250 upgrade and lots of ram (I "inherited" it). I was planning on running X or Xserver and using it as a firewall/router/server/B*T*H. Sonnet SAYS I can install 10.2 on my dinosaur...

feedback?
All generalizations are false.

Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2003, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
That Mac will never run OS X, even with a processor upgrade. And even if it could, you wouldn't want to.

Use it for old Mac games running Mac OS 7.6.1. Or as a print server. Or something.

tooki
Of course it can... I have an 8500 with half a gig of ram and G3 450 upgrade card, and it runs Jaguar just fine... I did upgrade the graphics card and added a bigger (SCSI) hard drive... it probably wouldn't run nearly as well without it, but it would run nonetheless.

At the very least, you will need to upgrade your processor, and you need the free XPostFacto utility to install and run OS X on an "oldworld" system. If you plan on running Panther, you'll have to wait for the next XPostFacto update.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 23, 2003, 07:47 PM

I was trying to upgrade an 8500 to OS 9. But the hard drive went so I bought a new one, but couldn't get the damn thing initialized, and it was gonna be $$ to get new memory. And the case design absolutely sucks. I finally just threw the damn thing out.

Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2003, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by himself

Of course it can... I have an 8500 with half a gig of ram and G3 450 upgrade card, and it runs Jaguar just fine....
The 7200 does not run OSX. If you check Xpostfactos site they say that machines like the 7500, 8500 and 7600, etc. will run OSX but that the 7200 does not work with it (and, as they say, almost certainly never will). However, I have a 7600 with a 200mhz 604e runs 10.1 reasonably well.

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2003, 08:06 PM

He's right. The 7200 is one of the worst machines you could buy now. Short of some of those 6100s or a Nubus mac the 7200 line is tough to justify upgrading.

Fof the price of a Sonnet card now you can pick up a Beige G3 and the RAM & IDE hard drives for those are cheaper.
( Last edited by Langdon; Nov 23, 2003 at 08:39 PM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2003, 10:18 PM

Keep it for your "Mac Museum".

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Admin Emeritus
Nov 23, 2003, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by himself:
Of course it can... I have an 8500 with half a gig of ram and G3 450 upgrade card...
Yes, the 8500 can (so can the 73/75/76/86/95/9600). That's because those machines have their CPUs on daughtercards, so if you upgrade the CPU, you're actually replacing the original CPU with a better one -- such as a G3 or G4 chip as required by Jag. The 7200 has its CPU soldered onto the motherboard, so it cannot be upgraded except by weird upgrades such as the cache slot -- the original PPC601 processor is still present and active until the upgrade chip is jump-started. OS X will not start up on a PPC601 chip.

OS X will never run on a Power Mac 7200 (nor its Europe-only tower counterpart, the 8200).

tooki

Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2003, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Yes, the 8500 can (so can the 73/75/76/86/95/9600). That's because those machines have their CPUs on daughtercards, so if you upgrade the CPU, you're actually replacing the original CPU with a better one -- such as a G3 or G4 chip as required by Jag. The 7200 has its CPU soldered onto the motherboard, so it cannot be upgraded except by weird upgrades such as the cache slot -- the original PPC601 processor is still present and active until the upgrade chip is jump-started. OS X will not start up on a PPC601 chip.

OS X will never run on a Power Mac 7200 (nor its Europe-only tower counterpart, the 8200).

tooki
my bad... I just assumed all of those "oldworld" ppc mobo's were all alike
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Forum Links
Forum Rules