Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Script that makes NAP disable mode persistent?

Script that makes NAP disable mode persistent?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2005, 09:37 PM

As you all may know, there is chirp or humming noise in some G5, the solution to which
is to disable NAP mode in CHUD tool preference panel. But, everytime I start up my powermac,
it reverts to its default state "NAP mode enabled". So, I browsed the Internet and found some
related information in Macintouch.com, the part of which goes like this...

============
Mitch
I too have heard the buzzing/chirping noise on my dual 2GHz G5 while scrolling, using the Dock, etc. Although I don't understand the technical details, it seems to be related to a feature called "Nap". Apple's CHUD tool [available for download from FILE: CHUD_3.0.2.dmg.bin] can turn off this "Nap" feature, making the noise inaudible to all but very highly sensitive audio equipment. Hope this helps you and others.

Chris Nicholson
I'll bet the "buzzing" noise John Myers hears when scrolling is related to the well-known CPU Napping issue. Try disabling Napping in CPU preference pane. This increases power consumption a fair bit, but silenced my G5. The setting reverts on restart, but can me made persistent with scripts.

=============

So, what I am talking about is where I can find the script and how to get it to work?
Please help me with this~.
alice in wonderland

Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2005, 06:58 AM

I posted the scripts that another macnn user suggested a ways back. I'll repost them later if you cant find them. You can add the scripts to your startup at login. Actually just one script to silence the chirps. Then you can manually run the other script if you want.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2005, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by jhogarty
I posted the scripts that another macnn user suggested a ways back. I'll repost them later if you cant find them. You can add the scripts to your startup at login. Actually just one script to silence the chirps. Then you can manually run the other script if you want.

J.
Hi. Thanks for your help and I've found the relevant thread in which

I got the script and did as told to do, encountering another problem that

I need to be the root to execute the script. So do I have to log in OS X to

automatically start the script?
alice in wonderland

Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2005, 09:52 AM

I'll check out my setup when I get home tonight. I usually run them manually, but run several others on login. I'm using root. My box only chirps when actively working on certain tasks, so not sure why you would want it on boot. Plus, I use sleep when not actively using my box. I rarely shut it off or reboot it.

J.
Converted 4/29/05

Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 12:13 PM

Just know beforehand that running with NAP disabled increases your power consumption
by about 100 watts (at least in my G5 2.5 dual it does).

FYI for those with sensitive power bills.

Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2005, 01:12 PM

Yes, once I disable NAP the chirp is gone but the fans are a little loader. Sometimes the chirping is less annoying than the fans. Just depends on my activity and what other sounds are going on, ie. TV/Music/wife yacking.

J.
Converted 4/29/05

Forum Links
Forum Rules