Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G3 (Slot-Load) Disassembly Guide?

iMac G3 (Slot-Load) Disassembly Guide?
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2006, 05:37 PM

Hello all!

I'm looking for an iMac G3 (slot-load) disassembly guide (pictorial, if possible). I've googled for over an hour now, and couldn't find anything. I have an iMac DV+ with a dead PAV-board on my hands, and am having trouble getting the upper part of the case off. Any hints would be much appreciated!

TIA,

Ron

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by halimedia
Hello all!

I'm looking for an iMac G3 (slot-load) disassembly guide (pictorial, if possible). I've googled for over an hour now, and couldn't find anything. I have an iMac DV+ with a dead PAV-board on my hands, and am having trouble getting the upper part of the case off. Any hints would be much appreciated!

TIA,

Ron
Try this site for a tear down guide
http://fastmac.com/support/
RoyW

Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2006, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by RoyW
Try this site for a tear down guide
FastMac Support & Downloads
Thanks for the feedback, RoyW! Unfortunately, Fastmac's guide only shows how to access the bottom half of the innards, so to speak. I've done that many times, it's quite simple. What I need to do is to get into the top part near the CRT, and for that I haven't been able to find any instructions. Any further hints?

TIA,

Ron

Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 08:30 PM

I don't have my slot-loader any more, but I remember at one point removing the translucent top cover to clean it - it had collected a lot of dust on the INSIDE!

I remember once I got the bottom off, there were a couple screws holding the front plate on - I removed the screws and worked that off, and then was able to work the top cover off. There are a lot of plastic tabs, etc, but it does come off. Just be careful to make sure you get all the screws, and make sure you remove anything that looks like it's keeping you from getting at the cover.

Sorry I can't be more detailed - it was a while ago. Good luck!

Senior User
Sep 23, 2006, 06:38 AM

You may already know this, and know much more about it than me, but if you are going into the same compartment as the CRT, please BE CAREFUL! It can hold very high voltages even years after its last use.

I'd rather offend than let someone kill themself...

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2006, 11:57 AM

Check your PMs or pay this site How to fix a dim iMac CRT a visit for a very useful link.....

Forum Links
Forum Rules