Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Western Digital 10000rpm Raptors in Mac Pro's

Western Digital 10000rpm Raptors in Mac Pro's
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2006, 01:09 PM

Has anyone tried this configuration, I'm assuming it will just work but does anyone notices a performance boost or for that matter any problems or big increase in noise coming fromyour mac pro? I placed an order for a dual 2.66Ghz mac pro with a 160GB HD with the intention of throwing in a couple 10000 RPM western digital raptors.

edit....

For drive information click here
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2006, 01:21 PM

I imagine it would be noisier, and it should work fine too.

Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2006, 01:50 PM

They are noisy, but theres not reason why they wouldnt work. I know people use them as a boot drive.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2006, 07:23 PM

They're not really that much noisier.

I had two 74GB Raptors running as a RAID 0 boot volume for a little while. Worked fine and was pretty fast - but actually not a huge amount faster than my 300GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 drive I had been using. Decided to take the RAID out as there are some Boot Camp (which is important to me) issues with a RAID boot volume.

Finally decided that the connivence of a single 300GB boot volume outweighed the modest speed boost from the 140GB Raptor RAID. Not sure what I'm going to do with the Raptors now, though. I don't edit video or live off Photoshop, so I don't really need any high-speed swap space.

Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2006, 07:33 PM

I have two Maxtor, Maxline 300gig drives raided together and its pretty fast. I have the stock drive as my backup and bootcamp drive. For instance the firmware patch that apple released couldn't be applied on a raid-0 drive array. over all I'm very pleased with the raid-0 implementation.

I didn't opt for the raptors so I cannot comment on the noise of them but the maxtor drives are very quiet.
Michael

Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2006, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Not sure what I'm going to do with the Raptors now, though. I don't edit video or live off Photoshop, so I don't really need any high-speed swap space.
Give them to me?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2006, 07:35 AM

I've got 2 Raptors running in my Sawtooth, and they dont really make much more noise than the 2 maxtors that are in there, just a small tad more heat though. But thats what replacement case/exhaust fans are for, yes ?
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2006, 11:38 AM

The original 36 and 72GB raptors where alot noisier then the later ones. I had a 140GB raptor and it was not noisy.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2006, 08:14 PM

I've got a 150 GB raptor I use as my boot disk and it works like a charm... not one bit noisy as kamina pointed out! A must have in my book!
[FONT="Tahoma"]Mac Pro 2.66Ghz, 2GB, 150GB Raptor, 250/500GB Drives, x1900XT, Airport/Bluetooth 2.0+EDR -->IT'S ALIVE!!!
Dell 24'' Ultrasharp
iMac G4 1Ghz 1GB 80GB Broken for now
Sony Vaio 2,2GHZ 1GB 250GB Drive
iPod 3G 40GB
iPod 5G w/ Video 60GB White NOW WITH GAMES
[/FONT]

Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2006, 08:58 PM

I just ordered a 150GB in hope of it speeding up my MacPro. The CPUs rarely get pegged, but it gets sluggish everytime it reads and writes large amount of data to the HD. IE the computer is almost unusable whenever I render out lossless video from Motion.

Should I put it as a boot disk or is there a way to move swap space to it without making it the boot. Yes, I am upgrading RAM to minimize swapping, but as said in my other thread I am having trouble upgrading it.

Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
I just ordered a 150GB in hope of it speeding up my MacPro. The CPUs rarely get pegged, but it gets sluggish everytime it reads and writes large amount of data to the HD. IE the computer is almost unusable whenever I render out lossless video from Motion.

Should I put it as a boot disk or is there a way to move swap space to it without making it the boot. Yes, I am upgrading RAM to minimize swapping, but as said in my other thread I am having trouble upgrading it.
Eric, I run a 74GB Raptor as my boot in the MacPro and did the same on my prior Dual G5.

For you, I'd consider getting 2x150GB and doing a RAID 0 on them... Can't you make your render drive a different drive than your boot drive where your software resides?

The best way to maximize the bandwidth (I do it for FCP5) is to keep the applications and OS on a "Boot" disk, and then use a RAID or other fast drives for your data.

I've got my iphoto/itunes, and all my video render stuff, as well as large .NEF files for photoshop on my RAID which is made of 2x500GB drives.. but for more speed you can use 2x150Raptors, you'll just need another drive to back up your files incase you fill up the 300GB Raid fast..
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2006, 10:24 AM

Yep, that's an old "audio user" trick:

Have your boot drive be one drive and have your "writing to media" drive
be another, it makes a rather significant difference and you can get more
simultaneous audio tracks out of DAW applications.

Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2006, 10:25 AM

Yep, that's an old "audio user" trick:

Have your boot drive be one drive and have your "writing to media" drive
be another, it makes a rather significant difference and you can get more
simultaneous audio tracks out of DAW applications. It also makes for faster
video processing writes.

Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2006, 01:34 AM

Thanks UM and Todd. That was exactly what I did, apart from the RAID that is. I set the 150GB as my "Current projects" disk for writing and reading media, separate from the boot. I also moved the swap file there using Xupport. Wow what a difference! So far, all the lag I've experienced has gone!

Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2006, 12:29 AM

Ya you definitly want to increase speed by spreading the 'load' across two spindles. I run SCSI drives and keep my startup (OS and apps) as one drive and working data as another drive. Finished work gets moved to my server so my work drive doesnt have to be large either. Speed over space for me. Oh and last drive is a swap/temp drive so really I'm running 3 drives. I dont ever get slow downs

Forum Links
Forum Rules