Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Will a GeForce4MX work with an AGP Powermac?

Will a GeForce4MX work with an AGP Powermac?
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2006, 11:23 PM

Here's the card I'm looking at to buy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Mac-nVidia...QQcmdZViewItem

Will it work in my old AGP PowerMac G4? (will is work in a 2X AGP port?).

For some reason the ATI 8500 card that I purchased for this old PowerMac is causing kernel panics, so I'd like to stick to the OEM apple cards this time.

Thanks,

lw

Moderator Emeritus
Oct 18, 2006, 12:23 AM

Yeah, it should work without a problem. Never seen any Apple 4x AGP GeForce that wouldn't work in a 2x G4.

The price is a little high though.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2006, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Here's the card I'm looking at to buy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Mac-nVidia...QQcmdZViewItem

Will it work in my old AGP PowerMac G4? (will is work in a 2X AGP port?).

For some reason the ATI 8500 card that I purchased for this old PowerMac is causing kernel panics, so I'd like to stick to the OEM apple cards this time.

Thanks,

lw
I've seen OEM 9600XT cards go for not much more than that. All you have to do is tape a couple pins and you are set.

Moderator Emeritus
Oct 18, 2006, 12:34 AM

That mod only works for 4x AGP machines.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2006, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
That mod only works for 4x AGP machines.
You are right. I didn't notice that he had a 2x AGP.

Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2006, 09:51 AM

yeah, that's sort of a rip (unless you need ADC). I'll sell you a 9800 pro for about that much.
I love lamp! I love lamp...

Walker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2006, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by BigBadBiologist View Post
yeah, that's sort of a rip (unless you need ADC). I'll sell you a 9800 pro for about that much.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to stay away from ATI and try NVidia.

lw

Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by BigBadBiologist View Post
I'll sell you a 9800 pro for about that much.
Not to hijack the OP's thread, but does that 9800 work in a sawtooth? and does it enable core image ?

Do you know this for sure, cause if so, I might be interested in buying one for "about that much"
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Moderator Emeritus
Oct 18, 2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to stay away from ATI and try NVidia.

lw

You're shooting yourself in the foot then. Because in all likelihood you card is just plain defective. And ATI makes the best cards for your machine. And the 9800 BBB is offering you is a hell of a lot better of a deal than that GeForce is.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Walker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2006, 03:19 PM

You're shooting yourself in the foot then. Because in all likelihood you card is just plain defective. And ATI makes the best cards for your machine. And the 9800 BBB is offering you is a hell of a lot better of a deal than that GeForce is.
You're right about ATI card being better than the GeForce. Let me explain my rationale.

I came across an older AGP G4 400 tower a couple of years ago. I decided to make it a decent machine for my son. I upgraded the processor to a OWC 1.2 G4, and also installed a Pioneer DVD-R drive. Everything was working great so then I purchased the Mac ATI 8500 card. Shortly thereafter the system had random freezes, kernel panics, and general instability. I replaced the card with the original ATI 16 mb card and the machine ran like a champ again. So I lent the 8500 card to my neighbor who also has G4 (his is the digial audio version). He ran that card in his machine for 2 weeks without any issues. So I thought it might be software related on my G4. I wiped the hard drive clean and did a fresh install of Tiger. Then I put back in the 8500. For the first 3 days it seemed to be working pretty well (had one freeze). Then all hell broke loose again and the kernel panics returned and all of the system instability. The only program my son installed was Diablo II. I replaced the original ATI 16 mb card and once again the machine has been running great. And that damn 8500 is once again running smoothly in my neighbors digital audio G4.

Maybe the 8500 is just a defective card like you suggested, but why is it working so well in my neighbor's system? The whole experience has become rather frustrating so I'm hoping an OEM Apple card with make my troubles go away.

Thanks for all the advice and help,

lw

Moderator Emeritus
Oct 18, 2006, 03:35 PM

Assuming there is some sort of incompatibility between your system and your 8500, I still so no reason to avoid all ATI cards. Especially considering that ones like the 9800 are years newer.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Administrator
Oct 18, 2006, 05:37 PM

Is it possible that your neighbor doesn't do games? If the 8500 is a flashed card, and the video RAM is marginal at the stock speed, then an overheating video card can certainly cause a KP. You might try ATIccelerator to downclock the 8500 on the fly.

Walker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2006, 05:49 PM

I don't think it's a flashed card. At least it's not supposed to be. I bought it advertised as a Mac edition 8500 and it came in a Mac box. And there were other instability issues besides during gameplay. The computer would sometimes lock up while navigating in the finder. It would kernel panic quite regularly during quicktime movie playback.

Lateralus, your point is well taken. I've already purchased the Nvidia card but guess I should've purchased the 9800. Hopefully things will just work out with the Nvidia card.

Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2006, 11:16 PM

It could be a power supply issue. If you have an upgraded CPU, maybe the power draw for the 8500 is just a little too much for the power supply. (especially considering the 8500 worked for your neighbor)
I love lamp! I love lamp...

Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2006, 03:29 AM

You're shooting yourself in the foot then. Because in all likelihood you card is just plain defective.
the card may be defective or overheating, but I know they work in G4's, since I have been running an 8500 in my DP Sawtooth for over a year now notta problemo
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Senior User
Oct 19, 2006, 11:57 AM

4 years of ATI 8500 in a Sawtooth (startad at 400 MHz then 1.2 GHz) very stable all the time (knock on wood)

Forum Links
Forum Rules