Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G4 17" case fan replacement

iMac G4 17" case fan replacement
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2006, 09:39 PM

Does anyone know the size of the internal case fan in the iMac G4 17" flat panel? It would also be good to know what type of connector the fan uses.

I've just ordered new RAM and a 320GB HD and while I have the case cracked, I intend to replace the case fan, which has grown quite noisy over time (and I've done the power down to reset the fan controller thing). I'd rather not have to take the thing out and then head off to a parts store - I'd like to do it all in one fell swoop.

Thanks!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2006, 11:01 PM

In case anyone down the line has the same question...

The G4 17" FP iMac case fan is a standard 92mm. The connector is a 3 pin bayonnet (inside a plastic connector) from the fan, but only two wires actually connect to the mobo (red & black). The generic fan I had planned to replace the original fan fit fine, but I couldn't make the connectors work, so I settled for cleaning and re-installing the original fan - with the fan cleanup and the blowout of the dust from the case, the machine is at least a bit quieter than it was previously. I may yet spring for a pricey ultra quiet fan if the nosie gets to be too much.

Cracking the case was not as daunting as I had been led to believe. I also swapped the stock 80GB HD with a 320GB WD EIDE drive and swapped the 256MB factory RAM with a 1GB stick. Even though apple claims the iMac only takes 512MB per slot, the 1 GB stick is recognized and active, bringing me to 1.5 GB. The HD is recognized and working fine.

Hopefully I can stretch this machine out for another year or so before caving in to an all-new system.

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2006, 12:43 AM

did your fan have replaceable bearings?
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2006, 07:29 AM

I don't know how to tell. The stock fan seemed pretty cheap, so I sort of think "no."

It's a little quieter now, so I'll have to decide whether getting a new quality fan, setting up the right connectors, cracking the case, and pulling the entire innards apart again is worth a quieter Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules