Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Hatred of Intel on the once-revered Mac... is it unfounded?

Hatred of Intel on the once-revered Mac... is it unfounded?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2006, 02:16 PM

So.
We have three Mac Minis here.
Intel-Chip-Based-Macs. ICBMs.

The two with Core Solo processors seem to work OK except that adobe anything sucks because.. well.. duh.

The one Core Duo has a nasty habit of hanging up. Reliably. If left sitting, screensaver starts. screen blanks. Disks sleep. Move mouse, hit keyboard, display becomes active... but... spinning beachball.

the FIRST time, usually hitting the power button briefly to 'sleep' the unit and then again to 'wake' it will fix the issue. the SECOND time, this will fail, and the only recourse is a hold-it-in-until-it-dies power cycle.

Every PPC-based-mac i've used sleeps and wakes just fine. the Core Solos don't necessarily "hang" like the Core Duo does, but they take a friggin LONG time to become sentient.

So, here's my theory. If you've ever used intel-based laptops, APM or ACPI, they all suck, they occasionally work as designed, but usually not.

Since intel also sucks, the Core Solos perform suckily.
Since the Core Duo has "twice the..." well... "suckiness"... it sucks enough to hang up all the time.

I'm going back to eBay to snap up some more PPC-based-macs while I can still buy something reliable.

all my powerbooks have an uptime of several weeks and love sleeping and waking up several times a day. they don't complain. they don't even need as much coffee as I do.

hooray, apple, let's save money by designing once-awesome systems around buggy components and see what happens next week...

:/

seriously - has anyone else seen this with core duo minis? the latency with the core solos?

I was hoping all those software updates, and finally the firmware update would have made something "not suck" a bit more.

me, i'm content to sit on my 1.3ghz machine that i know will wake up when i want it to and not lose its brains....

Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 02:24 PM

I don't have enough experience with Mactels to swap anecodes with you, but I will say that many Mac models have randomly had wake from sleep issues over the years.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by boycat View Post
Every PPC-based-mac i've used sleeps and wakes just fine.
APM or ACPI, they all suck
Since intel also sucks
the Core Solos perform suckily
Since the Core Duo has "twice the..." well... "suckiness"... it sucks enough to hang up all the time.
... by designing once-awesome systems around buggy components
You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Anti-Intel troll alert. You can go back to PPC. Find someone who still cares.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2006, 03:11 PM

Intel Core Duo Mac mini and iMac Core 2 Duo, wake and sleep with no issues, rock solid performance and much better performance. You are either very misinformed or a troll, either way your post is pretty much entirely wrong.

Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2006, 05:36 PM

Pardon the harshness from the Mac Fanboys. The Intel macs I've used have all been wonderful. The processor type would have little (probably nothing) to do with lockups, so having a dual core doesn't mean "twice the...well...suckiness" at all. Please don't base your opinion of the Intel Macs on a single bad unit you have. Have you tried troubleshooting this at all? Try repairing disk permissions, then verifying your drive. If that doesn't work, a reinstall of OS X could be in order. If that doesn't solve the problem, it does appear that you might have a hardware issue.
It seems your only complaint with the Core Solos is that they're slow when using non-Universal software....well duh. Don't replace them with slower machines, though, because as soon as Adobe comes out with Universal editions, you'll be stuck with a much slower machine. RAM will also help speed things up a bit.
You make it very clear that you have a bias against Intel. I suggest you open your mind a bit and allow the possibility that perhaps they could be good before replacing them with inferior, slower hardware.

Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 06:05 PM

I think your blame is misplaced. I would surely think that this is a software issue with Apple. I'm not a systems software guy, but I can't imagine how the CPU would affect waking from sleep.

I've got a Black MacBook that has had wake from sleep issues exactly as you describe. I would many times have to force a power-cycle to get it back from sleep. The latest updates from Apple seem to have finally fixed the issue however sometimes I still find my MacBook "asleep" with the lid closed and the fan going full speed and the bottom is very hot. I do hope they finally get that stuff fixed.

Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2006, 06:36 PM

atheist...are you sure your macbook is indeed in sleep?

the new intel macs have a noticeable lag before going to sleep when closing hte lid. check to see if the light is actually pulsating or not.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
atheist...are you sure your macbook is indeed in sleep?

the new intel macs have a noticeable lag before going to sleep when closing hte lid. check to see if the light is actually pulsating or not.
It's my partners MacBook. He just closes the lid before he goes to bed at night. And many times I'll get up in the morning and the fan is going full speed and it's very hot to the touch.

I've been trying to get him into the habit of choosing "Sleep" from the menu and waiting for the pulsing light before closing the lid. I've never had these issues with my 17" PowerBook.

Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2006, 07:00 PM

The Rev A's all seem to have issues. My Macbook Pro CD1 has sleep problems, and my girlfriend's Macbook has issues also.

That said, I've had just as bad problems with Rev. A PowerPC hardware, sometimes even worse. It's all par for the course.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Administrator
Nov 7, 2006, 07:50 PM

There's a whole lot of "suck" in the original post, and very little real information. Troll? Noob? Idiot? I don't know.

I have personal, hands on experience with an 800MHz G4 iBook and a 2.0GHz MacBook Pro. The biggest performance difference is that the faster processor is indeed faster. Aside from the fact that the TWO cores in the MBP are running more than twice as fast as the single G4 core in my wife's iBook, they both run fine.

My personal feeling here is that boycat either has a machine with a hardware problem, or he/she has goobered it up with a lot of hacks and software mods, or he/she is really just interested in poking at the loyal Mac crowd here.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2006, 01:45 AM

my MacBook sleeps and wakes fine, it's my iMac G5 I'm having troubles with. After installing a new hard drive, I get the"You must restart you computer" message when it wakes up from sleep. I'm considering buying a new intel based iMac.
MacBook 1.83GHz, 1GB
MacBook 2.0Ghz, 2GB
iPhone 8GB

Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2006, 05:09 PM

you could have something triggering the mbp on in the middle of the night...

try unplugging all peripherals from the mbp before going to bed.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tomchu View Post
You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Anti-Intel troll alert. You can go back to PPC. Find someone who still cares.
Your quote list reminds me of a Homer Simpson quote:
I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2006, 10:05 PM

So.
We have three Mac Minis here.
Intel-Chip-Based-Macs. ICBMs.

The two with Core Solo processors seem to work OK except that adobe anything sucks because.. well.. duh.

The one Core Duo has a nasty habit of hanging up. Reliably. If left sitting, screensaver starts. screen blanks. Disks sleep. Move mouse, hit keyboard, display becomes active... but... spinning beachball.
Boycat,

It looks like help for your issue may have arrived.

Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.1

"This EFI Firmware Update fixes several Boot Camp, start up, and wake-from-sleep issues on Mac mini computers."

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...eupdate11.html

Let us know how it works for your machines.

Hiram

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2006, 11:58 PM

I would venture to say PLBCAC....the problem lies between the computer and chair.

I have used MANY intel mac minis without any problem. maybe you got one bad one? A possiblity, but all three of them wouldn't suck. Maybe you're expecting to much out of something the size of 5 CD cases.
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

Administrator
Nov 15, 2006, 10:19 AM

I think "boycat" is a troll. In all three of his posts he's simply said rude things about Intel Macs. I think this one should be laid to rest.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Nov 15, 2006, 05:32 PM

I have to say that I'm not as impressed with the Intel chips as I think I should be. For all Apple's bragging. I have a Mac Pro (low end model). I used to have a PowerPC G4 933. I expected the Mac Pro to feel like lightning (aside from non-universal apps). But that's just not the case. No matter what the benchmark programs say. There only seems like a slight speed increase in things like Mail and Safari. Not more than twice as fast, which it should at least be. iTunes runs the same as it did on the G4, especially now that Apple screwed up iTunes 7 and made it slower.

The only things that truly seem much faster are Camino, FileMaker Pro 8.5 and Quake III. Adobe apps are already so bloated I don't expect that even a universal update will make them run much faster. Especially Illustrator, which by the way, crashes more than ANY other non-universal app out there. They need to rewrite those things from scratch.

The hardware for the Mac Pro seems to run well enough though, and I haven't had any problems sleeping and waking up. And I have two displays hooked up to mine.

I can say that Apple's service record is becoming crappier all the time. A friend recently purchased a MacBook. It had a problem with the trackpad button - it wasn't working properly, so he called Applecare (on hold for 45 minutes). They had hime send it in. He got it back a week later and it was doing the same thing. He called back (on hold for 45 minutes again), someone answered and accidentally hung up on him. So he called back again on hold for 45 minutes AGAIN), finally talked to someone who told him that apparently when he sent it in Apple replaced the hard drive instead of fixing the trackpad button. So he had to send it in again.
I told him he should have just demanded a brand new MacBook to replace it after going through all that. Is this the Apple we have to look forward to?

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2006, 05:57 PM

Amazing! If anyone on these forums a couple of years ago had said anything positive about Intel chips they would have been flamed as a troll. Now anything is said against Intel chips you are flamed as a troll.

The difference? Whatever Apple has told some to think.

I can see why boycat has repeatedly posted anti-Intel posts. If I was him I would be too. I had a G4 AGP which gave me unending hell and got the expensive brush off from Apple. A friend had a Cube which spent more time in service than on his desk.

Such experiences do not leave you in a good mood.

Anyone with long experience in this game gets to recognise the routine where the user gets to cop endless blame before quietly, but belatedly a fix is issued. If you are lucky!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 06:01 PM

I have a 17" power...er MacBook Pro, and it is incredibly reliable. I have had one issue with it heating up while in a neoprene sleeve, but that was due to marware protectors. removing the protectors removed the issue. Everything works fine, even photoshop and dreamweaver. The only non-reliable application is Cararra (which is a universal), but let's face it...3D apps push the limit of any system and crash a lot.

Have a mac mini (also intel) and it works reliable in the two weeks I have had it. set it up as a media center using eyeTV. Optical sound out is good.

As with any product, there are some lemons, but to be honest with you, I have never met anyone who has problems.

Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2006, 06:19 PM

Chirpy22:

There is no way the macbook would be twice as fast with the applications you are considering.

First, the primary limiter (for most people) is the internet provider for both apps. The computer can't display info it hasn't received yet.

Second, the macbook has an integrated graphics chip. It is OK, but weaker than stuffing a good graphics card with it's own memory and GPU in even older machines...plus, integrated graphics robs system memory and bandwidth to do it's job.

Were you to do side-by-side tests on computational items that would benefit from the system bus and the CPU speeds you would see the benefits of the new machine.

-------------------------

And to the OP:

PPC based machines historically had numerous sleep issues...particularly if one added cards to the supposedly "industry standard" pci slots... then magically apple came up with a fix for the SCSI cards w/ firmware updates....same thing w/ USB 2 cards...thouh some still report issues.

I feel alot of people have corrupted there installations w/ bad software, or 3rd party software complications...(like mixing medicines that would be fine independently)...failure to update, etc., but there are ABSOLUTELY bugs that are Apple's responsibility that never get fixed...and we'll in a likelhood never prove for sure...was it a hardware thing or a software thing or a firmware thing.

After replacing a QuickSilver with a MDD I am absolutley convinced that there was a hardware bug in my old machine....I never crash now (knock on wood)....and all I did was move the same drives from machine to machine...

So, was I one in a million, or experiencing a general flaw... never will know for sure.

but the likelihood of having 3 buggy machines and not finidng similar reports from others w/ the identical issues makes me wonder if it is a software combination issue?

Good luck

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2006, 06:27 PM

I've had:

iMac DV SE G3@400MHz (used for 6 years)

iBook G4 12" G4@933MHz (used for 3 years)

PPC G5 Dual Core G5@2GHz (just over a year old now)

SLEEP:
I've had occasional sleep hiccups with any of those models from OS 9 to 10.4.8. It just mucks up sometimes, but it's rare. Mac computers, a harmony of millions of possible things that can go wrong, but mostly don't, are consistent and flawed like that.

My wife has had her MacBookPro 2GHz dual core Intel since April and it has yet to have a sleep issue. She puts it to sleep multiple times a day.

SPEED:
With all the Macs I've had, each new one felt TONS quicker than the last in terms of GUI animation, display rendering, games, distributed processing, and application performance. In 3 years when I'm ready for a new quad (or more) core, I know I'll have the "wow, these buggers got fast!" experience again.

I haven't any personal experience with how someone can not notice leaps in performance differences when there's at least a year between models. It changes so fast. There was the great PowerPC upgrade molasses of _insertany2k+year_, but that's not the context used in this thread about "well this doesn't seem much faster."
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2006, 06:34 PM

Especially Illustrator, which by the way, crashes more than ANY other non-universal app out there.
Again a user blame issue. I have had Illustrator crash repeatedly, generally when accessing a new font but never got any satisfaction from Adobe who always ascribe it to "something" I must have done.

Recently went to an Adobe Creative Studio CS2.3 circus and lo and behold, Illustrator crashes during the demo! Well I never!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 06:45 PM

I am going to have to knock on wood while I type this...

My first Mac was an iMac DV SE 500Mhz G3. It is now 6 years old, and humming along fine. My daughter loves it, and she plays games in OSX and Classic (although I am weaning her off the Classic ones). It was the last of the original iMacs and by this time was not even close to a revision A.

Not a single problem with that one. From OS 9.1 which it came with to OSX 10.4.8 which it is running now. (it has 640MB RAM).

My second Mac was an 800Mhz iMac G4 (iLamp). It was a revision A. I had zero problems with it. for three years. It was sold to a friend who used it for half a year running his business on it, and now it is in use in his son's room. It is still operating flawlessly.

My third Mac was a 1Ghz PowerBook G4 12inch. It has had zero problems and is as of this month three years old. It has been dropped, which damaged the case around the battery - so the battery is held on with duct tape. My brother is now using it daily and it is operating flawlessly. It was a revision B if I remember correctly.

My fourth Mac was a top of the line for its time, 1.5Ghz G4 15 inch PowerBook with upgraded Disk (5400 RPM) and maxed out RAM and the addded 64MB VRAM (128M total). It was a revision C I think, and it ran for just over 2 years and the hard drive failed. It was in use every day for at least 8 hours a day, most often more. It had been transported all over the country, on Motorcycle, by Plane and Train, and even boat. It was a super machine. The hard drive was replaced under AppleCare and now is in use by my spouse. She uses it almost every day for Photoshop and games, along with normal internet type use. Aside from the hard drive failure (which was made by Hitachi I think) no other problems.

My current Mac is a MacBook Pro Core Duo 15 inch 2.16Ghz with 7200RPM drive. I have been using it in the same was as my 15inch PowerBook - more than 8 hours every day. It has been transported so far by Motorcycle for the whole summer to and from work, and all over they country by plane. It is used heavily, with processors getting heavy CPU use (I am a developer). It has had no problems, although it is a bit hotter than the PowerBook. I installed a fan control module that ramps the fans up a little earlier and the temperatures have dropped significantly. (Best guess is Apple had the fans running very slow for noise reasons - by speeding up the fans only a tiny bit I have reduced my regular operating temperatures by 10 degrees celcius!)

I also have a coworker who has the same MacBook Pro as I do, with no problems. The friend who has my G4 iMac upgraded to an intel MacBook and he has not had any problems yet (although it is only about a month old). He also has a PPC Mac Mini that has run for a year without problems...

But these are just my experiences. Yours may vary.

Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2006, 07:23 PM

There is no way the macbook would be twice as fast with the applications you are considering.
You're absolutely right. Good thing he was talking about a Mac Pro.

And, for the record, I love my Mac Pro. It's very, very, very nice.
Linkinus is king.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by rubaiyat View Post
Amazing! If anyone on these forums a couple of years ago had said anything positive about Intel chips they would have been flamed as a troll. Now anything is said against Intel chips you are flamed as a troll.

The difference? Whatever Apple has told some to think.
The difference is that a couple of years ago Intel's chips were based on the power hungry, very inefficient NetBurst architecture and today they are based of the power friendly, extremely efficient Core architecture. Not to mention that PowerPC architecture from IBM and Frescare has stagnated. Do you not remember waiting for a G5 PowerBook, or the 3.0GHz PowerMac? If Apple hadn't switch to Intel we would still be using 2.7 GHz PowerMacs and G4 PowerBooks with 167 MHz FSBs. Things change. And things have changed at Intel.
( Last edited by fahlman; Nov 15, 2006 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Corrected Spelling Error)
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated, opinions expressed herein are those of fahlman and do not necessarily represent the views of macnn.com

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 08:08 PM

I have both an iMac Core Duo and a MacBook Pro. Both work flawlessly and are by far the fastest Macs I've ever owned. I would never go back to PPC.

Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2006, 08:10 PM

Your DVI connector might be the problem. I know that on some non-apple monitors you have to pull out a pin in the DVI cable to allow it to sleep and wake properly.

Do a google search on this...you'll find and illustrated demo.

Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2006, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by chirpy22 View Post
I have to say that I'm not as impressed with the Intel chips as I think I should be. For all Apple's bragging. I have a Mac Pro (low end model). I used to have a PowerPC G4 933. I expected the Mac Pro to feel like lightning (aside from non-universal apps). But that's just not the case. No matter what the benchmark programs say. There only seems like a slight speed increase in things like Mail and Safari. Not more than twice as fast, which it should at least be. iTunes runs the same as it did on the G4, especially now that Apple screwed up iTunes 7 and made it slower.

The only things that truly seem much faster are Camino, FileMaker Pro 8.5 and Quake III. Adobe apps are already so bloated I don't expect that even a universal update will make them run much faster. Especially Illustrator, which by the way, crashes more than ANY other non-universal app out there. They need to rewrite those things from scratch.
At work I went from a dual 1GHz/1.5 GB PMG4 to a Core Duo 2.0/2GB iMac, and the differences were astounding. Everything from web browsing to finder navigation is much much quicker. And iTunes is phenomenally faster. Scrolling, playing, importing, it's all incredibly better.

Nov 15, 2006, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by emark View Post
Chirpy22:

First, the primary limiter (for most people) is the internet provider for both apps. The computer can't display info it hasn't received yet.

Second, the macbook has an integrated graphics chip. It is OK, but weaker than stuffing a good graphics card with it's own memory and GPU in even older machines...plus, integrated graphics robs system memory and bandwidth to do it's job.

Were you to do side-by-side tests on computational items that would benefit from the system bus and the CPU speeds you would see the benefits of the new machine.
Indeed, I was talking about my Mac Pro for those issues (which has quad 2GHz Xeon processors), NOT my friend's MacBook. And I am not talking about downloading times. I have a broadband connection. I am talking about launch time and display of info that Mail already has downloaded to my system. Also the rendering of web pages (download time notwithstanding) isn't a whole lot faster. By everything that Apple has claimed I should be seeing ALL my native apps launching a minimum of twice as fast when compared to my old 933MHz G4, considering all the processing power goin on. That's just not the case.
I guess I will just hope that Adobe can do something reliable with their next CS3 suite, since I use those apps more than anything else.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 01:18 AM

Yo I am a HYPERMACATISTA and I do care about PPC.
INTEL does suck no mater which way you look.
its sad, disingenuous and absolutely retarded that the same people who a few months ago where screaming anti intel chants are now telling PPC users to shut up.
YOU ARE ALL WRONG.
even if the MacBooks and Mac Pros work GREAT, its all Heresy, and like the orthodox church I preach a complete schism from all you looser of the new faith.

Senior User
Nov 16, 2006, 02:21 AM

As you mentioned it in the first post, I also have that weird Sleep wakeup issue where the first time you wake it from sleep you get a black screen with just a spinning busy cursor and no screen saver login window as expected. After pressing the sleep button and immediately waking it again, I do get the desired screen save Authenticate window and everything works fine. Doesn't happen each and every time, very sparatic, can't put my finger on why though, but it seems to be a very Intel-only problem. My last PowerPC iMac of over 6 yrs never had this problem.

However, in my case I'm not using Tiger on Apple hardware, which is likely a factor for me.
Death To Extremists!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 02:32 AM

Hmmm... Perhaps you should try the the EFI firmware updates that were released. I do know what you are speaking of, I got an Intel iMac (after my iMac G5 had more problems than I cared for and I got Apple to replace it). I noticed that it did inded take longer to wake up. But I figure there are new tricks for Apple to learn about intel power management, I mean hey how well did ACPI work? PC's would go to sleep and never wake up, but for the most part Intel Mac's DO wake up eventually. So go try the EFI firmware, I updated my iMac and... perhaps it wakes up a second faster
Brunerd

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 03:11 AM

Everything is relative. I used to be a PC technician & MAC is lightyears ahead. I supported both MACs & PCs & I also own both an Intel iMac & a G4 PowerBook. I have noticed one thing in all of this. Everytime a PC has had an issue it has been an actual hardware issue. Dell is horrible, especially the Optiplex GX270. We had bad capacitors in every single one of our Dell GX270s (around 30) & Dell refused to replace our whole line until over 50% had shown simptoms. Even then they would only replace ones that were on some special list they had (the rest when they finally died). We paid for expensive support from them so that we could fork out more money to be Dell certified just so we could work on the computers & ship parts back saving Dell the money of sending out a tech. Talk about ripping off your customer!

On the flip side the only problems I had with any of the MACs were user issues. We had one user that swore up & down they weren't the problem, then we switched them to a completely different MAC that had been flawless for another worker & suddenly it started having major issues. Some people are just death to computers.

That being said you have to maintain any system. The beauty of OS X is that to maintain it you don't have to reload it every few months. Every issue I've had with my MACs has been easily resolved & they run just as solid as the day they came out of the box.

APM is Apples name for the Power Management built into MACs. It is not a standard as they use the same name for the PPC & the Intel MACs even though PPC uses Open Firmware & Intel MACs use EFI.

ACPI, you can't make a parallel of the performance of BIOS power management features seen in PCs to that of Intel MACs, THEY DON'T USE BIOS! Intel created this beautiful technology in 2001(round about, correct me if I'm wrong on that year) called EFI which replaces the BIOS system for managing hardware. No one in the PC market was willing to adopt it because they are lazy & Microcrap was unwilling to build in support for it in Windows. Even with companies like Gateway considering switching to this system they still refused to build it into Vista! Apple recognized the far superior EFI system & implemented it in the Intel MACs. They then did the legwork that PC manufacturers were unwilling to do & took advantage of the BIOS emulation feature of EFI so that Windows could still run on the Intel MACs (BootCamp). So OS X runs native on EFI & for the crappier Windows it can pretend it is running on BIOS.

So let us hope that this puts all this useless bickering to rest. If you have a new MAC & it is having issues than for crying out loud take it back! If it's under warranty quit wasting peoples time complaining about it & just go take advantage of that warranty. Everything is made in China these days so it shouldn't be any surprise that you are going to get some MACs that have issues. Want a MAC not made in China? Well I suppose we can just go back to paying double for a MAC over a PC if you prefer that.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 01:03 PM

My MacBook Pro performs nicely. Initially Adobe CS2 apps were sluggish but after I max'ed out the RAM on the MBP they feel almost as responsive as on my G5.

Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post
MAC... MACs ...MACs ... MAC ... MACs ...MACs... MACs ... MACs ...MAC... MACs... MACs ... MAC ... MACs ...MAC ... MAC
FYI it's not an acronym. It's Mac.
And I sure hope SeaBassTin is joking. The intel Macs I've used have all blown away their PowerPC counterparts. The Core Duo iMac I'm using blows away the Dual 2.0 G5 I used to have. App launches are MUCH faster, finder navigation is speedier, everything in general is better.

chirpy22: Of course bandwidth is going to be the limiting factor in web page rendering. So if you have the same bandwidth limit on both machines, loading times are going to be very similar. One thing I might suggest is trying out SafariSpeed and turn off the page loading delay, that could possibly speed things up if your connection is fast enough.

Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2006, 02:24 PM

Mr. Suckiness has no idea what he is talking about. My new Macbook is faster, more stable and better built than my PB G4 1.25 was, hands down. You can't make a broad, sweeping judgement because of a few issues. Try some....gasp...trouble shooting.

Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post
Mr. Suckiness has no idea what he is talking about. My new Macbook is faster, more stable and better built than my PB G4 1.25 was, hands down. You can't make a broad, sweeping judgement because of a few issues. Try some....gasp...trouble shooting.
Well surely you realize that you can't make a broad sweeping judgement based of one case then, right?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 03:16 PM

Nope, my MacBook has no problems as you mentioned and have not had it crash at all since, well, about a week after they came out.

Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2006, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Well surely you realize that you can't make a broad sweeping judgement based of one case then, right?
Oh hardeeharhar, smart ass. Let me ask you: Have you heard of mass quality problems with intel machines? Or even Macminis? No.

Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post
Oh hardeeharhar, smart ass. Let me ask you: Have you heard of mass quality problems with intel machines? Or even Macminis? No.

Yes, yes I have. Take a quick glance at these forums. Some of these problems are so widespread they have nicknames, such as the MacBook 'mooing.' Do a google search for 'MacBook problems' and you'll get 3.7 million hits.
And I wasn't being a smartass, I was pointing out the obvious flaw in your argument.

Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2006, 08:18 PM

Well then, intel macs must "suck." Clearly anyone saying that has little experience with Apple products. Remember the PB G4 white spots? I'm just saying, the guy is over the top. I'm not saying there aren't problems.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2006, 01:01 PM

MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC MAC

I bet that's driving you crazy Gossamer. So my grammer ain't perfect.

Of interrest to this conversation might be this article:

MacNN | AMD-based Apple laptop in the works?

Think it's true? I personally am not convinced, just doesn't seem like Apple to move towards a laptop that will likely have louder fan noise than even the G4s. Of course I've not been following AMD's mobile line to closely so maybe they have something up their sleeve I don't know about.

Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2006, 02:28 AM

Signature depreciated.

Senior User
Nov 19, 2006, 02:58 AM

after the experience i had with an athlon XP-M 2200+ powered laptop, I hope apple doesn't go that route... It would run in the high 90*C range and the fan was insanely loud...of course, AMD could have fixed that by now because that was 4 years ago...

Forum Links
Forum Rules