Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Why is my iMac wake up by itself?

Why is my iMac wake up by itself?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2007, 11:21 AM

I have my iMac G5 for a week now. Only for the last 3-4days, when I manually put it in SLEEP, it will wake up exactly 5 minutes later. And after that I guess it goes back in SLEEP at the time I set in the Energy Saver settings (never stayed up long enough to actually time this). I unchecked the "Wake For Ethernet Administrator Access" and unchecked the "Restart Automatically After Power Failure." That did not solve the problem. I also uninstalled Shades, that wasn't the culprit either. I unplugged the power cord for a couple of minutes and reconnect, didn't help. I don't have any screensaver set to run, it's set at "NEVER". Does anyone have any idea?

Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2007, 02:44 PM

The same thing happened to me.

It happened over a year ago, and so I don't remember for sure what it was.

But it had to do with a peripheral unit, possibly a printer, that communicated with the computer, and woke it up all the time.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2007, 03:16 PM

There are numerous software programs that can wake your computer. A few months ago my imac would start up after a shutdown, turned out to be a corrupt copy of eyetv. Look for any new third party programs. Good luck.

Dick

Forum Links
Forum Rules