Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5 SuperDrive rejects all disks (CD/DVD)

iMac G5 SuperDrive rejects all disks (CD/DVD)
BXL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 03:49 PM

I have an iMac 17", G5, 2GHz with OS X 10.4.10 installed (all software updated).
Recently my drive suddenly started to reject all types of disks. CD/DVD, written or blank, makes no difference. Once a disk is inserted it takes about 10-15 seconds and the disk comes back out. I'm not 100% sure if the disk even starts rotating...(difficut to make that out.
I have searched forums and other Internet sources but did not find any suggestions that may help me locating the source of the trouble which is either hardware or software.
I have also tried to clean the lens using a lens cleaner disk, but, surprise, suprise, these were also rejected so forget that option.
My point/question is this:
How can I indentify the reason for this behaviour? Hardware (ie replace the drive) or software (reinstall OS X using an external drive ) which I don't have yet)? I do not know how I can determine the cause of this. Can anybody help? I do not fancy buying a new drive and then discover the problem persists because it is a software problem. Any way of troubleshooting this in OS X?
Thanks!

Drive info:
MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-845:

Firmware Revision: DBN9
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: No

ATA Bus:
MATSHITADVD-R UJ-845:

Model: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-845
Revision: DBN9
Serial Number:
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal

Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2007, 06:14 PM

The way to eliminate the possibility of a software problem is to see if your G5 will boot from your System Installation disc. Pop in the install disc, do not wait for it to eject, restart, hold down the <option> key. If you can boot from the disc, then you have a software problem. If not, then a hardware problem.

BXL  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2007, 05:47 AM

Thank for the tip!
I followed this procedure and am not 100% sure what the conclusion is, so like to ask you for confirmation.
I used the Install disk to restart the iMac while holding the Option Key. The iMac did start and arrived at a blueish screen with just the iMac HD icon in the middle (X beside it), a 'rotation arrow' icon on the left and a straight arrow (continue?) to the right. After a short while the install disk was ejected. I released the Option key (as no point in keeping it down) and the iMac started up as normal (using the HD I guess). Does this definitively mean the Superdrive is broken (hardware)? Perhaps I did something worng when activating the hardware test? Sorry to sound stupid, but better to be sure than sorry. Thanks for your confirmation!

Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2007, 07:03 AM

Your SuperDrive is dead. It won't boot your G5, it doesn't even show the System disc.

BXL  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2007, 09:58 AM

Well, that's bad news, but glad to know for sure. Thanks again for your help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules