Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > SuperDrive not working on iMac...

View Poll Results: Have you had this or a similar problem on a relatively new (this or last generation i
Poll Options:
Yes, frequently 1 votes (50.00%)
Just with some media 0 votes (0%)
All the time... 0 votes (0%)
Never! 1 votes (50.00%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll
SuperDrive not working on iMac...
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2008, 09:29 AM
I just purchased a "new" (prior to last up to 3.06GHZ release of iMacs) iMac, one with a Matsushita UJ 875 Optical drive.
The problem is, the Optical Drive Reads NOTHING except the Mac OS Leopard install Disc and aperture... It will not even read my AppleCare Protection Plan Disc...I have read in the Apple Discussions that thi is a hill Apple is willing to die on and even though I am going to see a licensed AppleCare Professional 90 miles away from me, I have little hope they won't just replace the Drive with ANOTHER UJ 875... Is there anything one can do?? Is this just an oddball problem I'm the only one having trouble with?
I would have thought Apple would have rewritten its kernel core in order to take care of this...

Any thoughts?

Disappointed... http://forums.macnn.com/images/smili...milies/cry.gif
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2008, 10:47 AM
You're not alone... the optical drives Apple ships are pretty bad, especially the MatsuSHlTa ones. I had one in my 12" PowerBook G4 that went bad after about a year and a half, and there are many posts in this forum complaining of Superdrive failures. One guy even supported a department with 100 MacBook Pros and 100 Thinkpads, and had to send in over a dozen MBPs for optical drive replacements vs. none of the Thinkpads.

Don't drive 90 miles, though... you should insist that they mail you a prepaid shipping box so you can send it to them. Making you drive 90 miles to get it fixed under the warranty is inexcusable.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2008, 04:22 PM
By the way, is there any software programs that can provide a work-around for this problem???
Jun 28, 2008, 11:40 PM
After having my 20" 2GHz Core Duo iMac for 1.5 yrs. the superdrive downgraded itself and refuses to burn all and read most DVD+Rs. The support for them no longer even shows up in System Profiler 0 just lists DVD-R.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2008, 01:58 PM
The Matsush. superdrive in my G4 mini became read-only after a firmware update. Replaced with a Pioneer DVR-K05. The Pioneer will write successfully to everything, even dual-layer, if reboot and do nothing else with the computer before burning. Otherwise, I get a hardware error.
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2008, 04:32 PM
Speaking of the optical drive, since day 1 (first week of May) I have only used the built-in optical drives no more than 5 times.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2012, 11:07 AM
My drive was outta commission too, for more than a year.

Yesterday, I read elsewhere to slip a lense cloth (for cleaning reading glasses) over a business card and gently push it around in the cd slot. It seemed ridiculous, given the noises that have been coming from it, but.... after much skepticism, the darn thing worked!! No noises, it now R & W!!! Good luck.
Forum Links
Forum Rules