Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How to fix broken network jack on iMac G5

How to fix broken network jack on iMac G5
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2008, 09:23 AM

We have an iMac G5 here which has become rather useless for putting onto the network unless used else where with the wireless card, but wondering if there are any ideas on a fix for this.

Basically, a student pulled the network cable out, probably for a laptop then plugged back in, but doing so, broken the jack on the board of the iMac. Now we can not plug a network cable in and have it stay. I have tried tap to hold in place and does not hold the cable right to get a connection. Don't know if there is an easy fix for this or not. Not sure if maybe soldering a short cable to it with a female end on it will work or not?

Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2008, 02:11 PM

Are you sure the port on the iMac is broken and not just the tab on the cable? IOW, have you tried another cable?

Beyond that, you'll have to replace the logic board unless you're handy with a soldering gun and not concerned about warranty.

Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2008, 02:24 PM

Another option would be instead of replacing the logic board would be to convert USB to ethernet.

Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2008, 04:01 PM

Out of warranty? If not, or if you're covered until AppleCare, I'd recommend having them fix it. Otherwise, it depends on the nature of the problem (physical defect?), but if you're willing to give it a shot, get out the soldering gun.

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2008, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Are you sure the port on the iMac is broken and not just the tab on the cable? IOW, have you tried another cable?

Beyond that, you'll have to replace the logic board unless you're handy with a soldering gun and not concerned about warranty.
Not the cable. The part that clips onto the cable end was broken off. Other cables have been used.

Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2008, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by idykenano View Post
Another option would be instead of replacing the logic board would be to convert USB to ethernet.
I didn't even think of that. Yea, grab the $30 USB ethernet adapter for the MacBook Air.

Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2008, 07:42 PM

I saw the other day at best buy a USB-wifi adapter for Macs.. yes for Macs. I doubled checked since practically no one made them and in fact it was/is for Macs.
regards,

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2008, 02:06 PM

Good point. Never even thought of the Apple USB/Ethernet adapters. I know they are rather simple dongles adapters, but has anyone tried one with an iMac.

Thanks for the reply, will look into this.

Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2008, 04:59 AM

There are plenty of USB to ethernet adapters that work just fine on Macs.

AppleCare, if it's under that, will not cover the ethernet jack being broken. That'd be considered accidental damage.

And one last thing. If the cable is having a problem staying in, make sure there's enough slack for the cable, and maybe either break the clippy thing off the cable or maybe keep it jammed in with a small piece of paper folded over?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2008, 11:25 PM

I also have the Lamp Shade iMac but a G4 and on one of the ports ( the 2nd one in from the left) one prong is bent and the plastic piece that holds the wires straight came out. I tried to rebend the wire and put the plastic holder back in place but should I have this fixed? We were trying to save money to buy our kids a new iMac in a few months. I heard at the Ã…pple Store that this is close to a thousand dollars to replace and they have to replace the whole circuit board. Is this correct? Can I have someone else do this or can I do this? Thank you anyone for the response. I guess I was not meant to be born during the era of technology. Thanks again!!http://forums.macnn.com/images/smilies/bang.gif

Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2008, 12:33 AM

Fixing the port will require a new motherboard, hence the expense. If you can live with using wireless, do that; if not try a USB-Ethernet dongle.

Moderator Emeritus
Jul 25, 2008, 06:06 PM

If you're really handy with a soldering iron, the jack itself can be replaced. I don't recommend doing it unless you know what you're doing and have a temp controlled solder station.

Parts are available from mouser and digikey.

Forum Links
Forum Rules