Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > is Applecare worth it?

is Applecare worth it?
Thread Tools
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2008
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 23, 2008, 05:52 PM
 
Hey gang, I bought an Imac for school over the summer and I loves it. I have one question though; do you think it's worth $169 to buy the applecare warranty? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 23, 2008, 06:31 PM
 
I always get the warranty.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: New England
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 23, 2008, 06:42 PM
 
I had Applecare on my last iMac and had a minor issue with the screen within 1 year which was covered by the regular warranty. Beyond that all the problems I had (dead optical drive and dead inverter/screen) happened at around the 4.5-5.5 year mark so my Applecare had expired. Pretty much the same thing happened for the G4 tower I had before that(except that was fine with zero problems after about 3.5 years). For the price it's good for piece of mind but given my experience with my last few macs, I took the gamble on my new iMac and didn't get it.
Regards,
Dave
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 23, 2008, 06:46 PM
 
I never get the warranty. Extended warranties are either a cash grab or a way to make money from making low quality products.

When I get desktops, I buy PC and build it myself since the parts come with three year warranties.
When I buy hard-drives, I only buy Seagate, because they're the only ones that have enough confidence in their product to guarantee them for 5 years.
When I'm done with my MacBook, I'm buying Toshiba, because they're the only laptop manufacturer that has enough confidence in their products to include a standard 3 year warranty on almost every product in their line.

I've always found it funny how the Mac community praises Applecare, while at the same time claiming that Apple's are so well made. If Apples are so well made, Applecare should be a waste of money.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 23, 2008, 07:14 PM
 
I got apple care with my MacBook and so far has paid for the following:-

On my Black MB
1- New logic board, Super drive, HD
2- New LCD and inverter
3- New top case due to cracking
4- Bluetooth broke = last straw

after getting fed up of taking it for repairs they upgraded me to a MBP and extended my Applecare for a further 3 years!!

Was it worth it baring in mind i got if for the sudent price of 60GBP??? YES
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Pacific Northwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 23, 2008, 07:50 PM
 
I just bought it for my iMac (original warranty was about to expire in 10 days). I've had it in for a hard drive replacement and while it was in the shop, they replaced the LCD (about $1600 IIRC). So for 10% of the price of a new LCD installed, I've extended my warranty an additional 2 years. You can't anticipate if you are going to have a problem but with the new iMacs you can anticipate that whatever it is, it will be expensive since it's very hard for the average user to open up these cases.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 23, 2008, 10:06 PM
 
Apple techs say it's a huge mistake not to get AppleCare.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2008, 01:05 AM
 
Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Apple techs say it's a huge mistake not to get AppleCare.
Of course they do. Companies make loads of cash off of extended warranties.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2008, 01:07 AM
 
Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
I got apple care with my MacBook and so far has paid for the following:-

On my Black MB
1- New logic board, Super drive, HD
2- New LCD and inverter
3- New top case due to cracking
4- Bluetooth broke = last straw

after getting fed up of taking it for repairs they upgraded me to a MBP and extended my Applecare for a further 3 years!!

Was it worth it baring in mind i got if for the sudent price of 60GBP??? YES
For me, that's an argument not to buy Apple, not an argument to buy AppleCare.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2008, 01:25 AM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Of course they do. Companies make loads of cash off of extended warranties.
No, these are independent Apple authorized service provider technicians who don't necessarily get any commissions from AppleCare. They'll tell someone who bought their Mac and AppleCare directly from Apple the exact same thing. It's a pretty inexpensive way to safeguard expensive equipment.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2008, 02:03 AM
 
Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
No, these are independent Apple authorized service provider technicians who don't necessarily get any commissions from AppleCare. They'll tell someone who bought their Mac and AppleCare directly from Apple the exact same thing. It's a pretty inexpensive way to safeguard expensive equipment.
Yes, I worked at an independent Apple authorized service provider. We were *very strongly* encouraged by Apple to recommend AppleCare.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2008, 05:19 AM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
For me, that's an argument not to buy Apple, not an argument to buy AppleCare.
Maybe.... although I think I was just unlucky, i've had no problems at all with my MBP!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2008, 06:12 AM
 
So far, I've had the optical drive replaced (it was dead pretty much on day 1 - not unusual for a crappy slot-loading drive), and I've had the logic board replaced (which irritatingly didn't fix the problem it was supposed to fix).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2008, 07:55 AM
 
In my experience, yes, particularly for notebooks.
This includes other companies and my sister thanked me over and over again when the power brick of her HP notebook died in the middle of her final thesis. Fortunately for her, the service works just as well.

The service is better, too, you have international warranty (which is good when your power adapter dies while you're in Berkeley, hehe) and in general, less questions are asked.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2008, 08:42 AM
 
I consider AppleCare a must-have for mobile computers.

My current MBP (late 06) had the Keyboard, Battery and SuperDrive replaced at no charge. And although AppleCare doesn’t usually cover any accidental damage, only the Super Drive was really Apple’s fault.

Just recently I brought my 3 year old MBP to my local shop because of a weird display issue, they checked the serialnumber, went "Oh, you have 2 months left on AC” and 22 hours later I picked it up with a completely new display assembly.
I broke the keyboard while trying to clean it, the battery had more than 550 cycles on it and the display maaay have something to do with the rough handling.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."
     
Eug
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Caught in a web of deceit.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2008, 09:45 AM
 
For the iMac, I usually get AppleCare, but then I usually get the top of the line model and I usually keep it for several years.

For the MacBook/iBook I don't bother with AppleCare, because I usually get one of the cheapest models, and AppleCare costs so damn much relative to the cost of the computer itself.

For the MacBook I prefer just updating the computer sooner rather than later.
     
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: earth
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2008, 12:49 PM
 
this is easy to answer: apple care is only worth it if you need to use it. otherwise it is a waste of money. problem is that you don't know if you will need it.

i wait until the 1 year mark, when the factory warranty expires. if i haven't had any problems at all, i figure i don't likely need it. recently i had a few little screen issues with my imac at about 11 months and when i got the warranty work done i bought apple care figuring it might be an omen of things to come.

basically, you are hedging future costs by buying it. sometimes it is money well spent, sometimes it is money wasted.

only other issue to consider is that if you sell the computer within the apple care warranty period, that is a real bonus to the buyer and should help sell it faster and at a better price.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2008, 04:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by ph0ust View Post
this is easy to answer: apple care is only worth it if you need to use it. otherwise it is a waste of money. problem is that you don't know if you will need it.
What happens if the computer is defect/problem free for 12 months but on month 13, the display dies or the logic board dies.

Having applecare is not a waste if you don't use it. Its an insurance policy that saves you money if you need to use it. The cost of the coverage is usually a lot less then a single non-warranty repair might cost you.

For laptops I usually get them because the repairs are so much more expensive and laptops take more abuse being mobile.
~Mike
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Truckee, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2008, 05:56 PM
 
Applecare only covers years two and three of a purchase and does not cover damage or theft. Most repair needs occur during the free warranty year one; the odds of covered item repairs being needed during years 2 or 3 are small. And some likely repair items (e.g. hard drives) become better/cheaper over time anyway.

Applecare is perhaps cost-effective on an expensive major tower purchase with display(s) and multiple hard drives covered. However most (if not all) of the time AppleCare is life-cycle cost ineffective, especially for laptops that have higher Applecare cost. Note that the cost of Applecare needs be compared against the value of the box at 2-3 years old, not against the new cost of the box.

Of course a small percentage of the time expensive components of boxes fail in years 2-3 and folks who bought AppleCare are rewarded. That still does not make AppleCare generally cost-effective any more than betting on a number at roulette is cost-effective just because the number hits sometimes. There is a reason Apple loves to sell AppleCare, and it is not because it is so cost-effective for the consumer!

Better to take that money and use it to make your on and off site backup perfect. If you are a person who emotionally or for cash flow reasons needs insurance buy real insurance that also covers damage and theft, not low value AppleCare.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 24, 2008 at 06:14 PM. )
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New England
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2008, 06:29 PM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
...
I've always found it funny how the Mac community praises Applecare, while at the same time claiming that Apple's are so well made. If Apples are so well made, Applecare should be a waste of money.
...
For first time Apple buyers (or Windows switchers), it is worth it. Not for the hardware, in particular, but for the phone support also provided in the Applecare service/product.
--
Stuke
     
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: earth
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2008, 06:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
What happens if the computer is defect/problem free for 12 months but on month 13, the display dies or the logic board dies.

Having applecare is not a waste if you don't use it. Its an insurance policy that saves you money if you need to use it. The cost of the coverage is usually a lot less then a single non-warranty repair might cost you.

For laptops I usually get them because the repairs are so much more expensive and laptops take more abuse being mobile.
so you're saying you agree with me? i say the same thing you did, essentially. i only add that it is a waste of money if you never use it because it is a waste of money if you never need it. the problem is that you don't know if you will ever need it. i have had i don't know how many macs and never yet needed applecare. i bought it recently for the first time because my imac began acting weird. all the parts (hdd and screen) were replaced, so i likely don't even need the additional coverage. i just bought it so i wouldn't be pissed later that the writing was on the wall with other issues.

if you get it, you might as well wait until your factory 1 year is about to expire. at least that way you are spending the money only at which point the coverage goes into effect.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Apr 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2008, 07:13 PM
 
I bought my MacBook on a VISA. VISA extended the warranty for 1 year for free, and I ended up buying an extension from them for another 2 years. The extension was a little cheaper than Applecare, but the great benefit is that they have a no lemon policy. On your 4th repair (even if the 1st 3 came before you purchased the extended warranty), they declare your computer a lemon and get you a new one.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: here
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2008, 08:11 PM
 
Laptops: yes

Desktops: no

It's practically a price increase. I go the same route as khassani, and get a second year free from my Amex card.

After that second year I usually upgrade.
     
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2008, 09:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by desmoface View Post
Hey gang, I bought an Imac for school over the summer and I loves it. I have one question though; do you think it's worth $169 to buy the applecare warranty? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve
If you got it through the education store, you can get Applecare for $119, and at that price it is a no-brainer. It has to be worth it just to not have to be threatened with a $50 charge for tech support after 90 days.
     
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2008, 02:40 AM
 
Same as most people:

Yes for laptops.

No for desktops.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 26, 2008, 11:00 AM
 
I have owned four Macs in the last ten years. I have a 2001 and 1999 still operating. Those four Macs never needed Apple care. The iBook needed the logic board repaired a few times, but Apple extended the warranty for it. I personally have never bought Applecare.

With that said, the price is a small price to pay for peace of mind if you can afford the coverage. Also, if I ever bought a newly released machine (which I don't) I would definitely get Apple coverage. For instance, the new Macbooks. The reason is when Apple (or any manufacturer for that matter) releases something new like that often it takes a few months to work out all the kinks in the manufacturing process. Finally, I think there is something to be said for getting it for laptops, but maybe not for Desktops.

Originally Posted by desmoface View Post
Hey gang, I bought an Imac for school over the summer and I loves it. I have one question though; do you think it's worth $169 to buy the applecare warranty? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2008
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 28, 2008, 10:31 AM
 
If you can do with a 2 year warranty instead of 3, consider that a lot of credit cards will automatically double your warranty on purchases made on it, up to an additional year. A 1 year warranty becomes 2, a 5 year warranty becomes 6. Amex pretty much always does this, but many others (including my Sony Visa card) do it as well. And it doesn't necessarily have to be a fancy gold or platinum card, either. Check with your CC company. The only caveat is that if you do need coverage during the bonus warranty extension period, you have to get the repair approved by the CC company first before going through with it. You usually pay up front for the "out of warranty" repair and then get reimbursed by the CC company. But it's EXTREMELY free...
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 28, 2008, 11:04 AM
 
I have looked at Dell (Australian) and compared their 3 year premium warranty with Apple's. Dell was about $20 more expensive. So, i used to think that Apple was ripping us off for the expensive warranty. Now others companies are putting it up too.

It is worth it for hardware failures other than the hard drive... HDs are so cheap and now, trivial to replace. I had a screwed logic board and it was replaced. That would have been an expensive part to replace.

The thing is, when i had issues with my mbp, i called a few of the local apple repair stores to book it in. Each of them were backed up with repairs for about 1 week before they could accept my machine. Looks like it would be a very foolish strategy to hope that a product will not fail...
     
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 28, 2008, 11:09 AM
 
My sister paid a similar amount for her extended warranty of an HP laptop. Although I do admit, they have more option (e. g. she chose to have coverage of accidents, too). Having three years of warranty (almost) covers the expected `life time' of a computer (I change machines once every three to four years).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Carol Stream, IL USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 28, 2008, 12:25 PM
 
Every Mac I have ever bought, I have gotten Apple Care, and have only used it one time on a Performa 550 (dead CD drive). Other than that, I have never used Apple Care, but I will keep buying it. In my opinion, you just never know and it is good to have it, just in case.
Powerbook G4 15" 1.0GHz FW800 60GIG HDD / 1.5GB RAM 10.5.X
iBook G3/800 12" 30GIG 640MB RAM 10.4.11
Mirror Door G4 1.0DP .5TB/1.5TB/40GB/30GB 1.5GB RAM 10.5 Server
Mini 1.83GHz C2D 80GB HDD 1GB RAM
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 28, 2008, 12:45 PM
 
Originally Posted by FastAMX79 View Post
Every Mac I have ever bought, I have gotten Apple Care, and have only used it one time on a Performa 550 (dead CD drive). Other than that, I have never used Apple Care, but I will keep buying it. In my opinion, you just never know and it is good to have it, just in case.
How much would you estimate you've spent on Apple Care?
     
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 28, 2008, 01:13 PM
 
@Wiskedjak
It's about being able to work properly. People who have extended warranty get better service and parts are replaced more quickly. My sister was sent a new power adapter the day she told HP she needed a new one. It arrived two days later. (Ditto for Apple.) To me, it's like a health insurance for my Mac. If you have a professional tool, you need to have some form of (good) service.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 28, 2008, 01:18 PM
 
Seem a lot of people gamble on their computers, but the bottom line is, it is completely random that they fail: and yes they all fail no matter the brand. As times pass and the economy pushes the market they way it has in the last twenty years, prices fall, and computers get cheaper and cheaper. It becomes increasingly harder to keep the quality of any given product at the level consumers desire. So then we arrive at our current level of products, they're less expensive, and parts are now fabricated at level that they them selves are much less reliable. Thanks to the demand for cheap, products are now cheaper and less reliable. Think I'm taking you for a spin, check around, only the most notable brands on the market live longer, doesn't mean these are the least expensive brands either. Not extending your products warranty is your mistake if something fails out of the first year or more standard warranty. Just like we have health insurance, it's there INCASE we need it, or car insurance.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: May 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 29, 2008, 12:15 AM
 
It's the only extended warranty ever reviewed in Consumer Reports that has been recommended by the editors.

That should be enough, but there's more:

Apple has only one (1) call center outside of the country. The chance that you will get a rep on the phone who is actually sitting in the United States is very high.

Without AppleCare you get one phone call in the first 90 days. With AppleCare you get unlimited phone calls for the length of your extended warranty.

If you are not in the vicinity of an Apple Store, or would prefer not to have to go into one (The turn around can be quicker in a store) Apple will send you an overnight box for your computer. They will fix it, and then overnight it back to you.

It pays for itself if you have a portable. If it's for the first repair or just for the peace of mind. Apple's portables (especially the new MacBook/Pro) tend to use highly proprietary/custom component builds. If you want to find replacement parts, good luck.

Things don't go wrong with computers in the first year. They start happening in the 2nd and 3rd. Had 2 iBook G3 have their logic boards replaced 2 times each in the 2nd and 3rd years. Even better was I had the logic board replaced on one of them when it was in its fourth year, out of warranty, and not part of the recall. Apple replaced it just because.

For those that can build their own computers need to appreciate the fact that the majority of present/modern Mac users are either switching or buying their first computers.

If you were new to computers, but "with it" enough to realize the expense if something broke, would you choose a 3 year extended warranty with unlimited phone support and someone who sounds like the guy who lives next door, or would you choose to individually figure out which component wasn't working and then contact each individual company (even if the standard warranty was longer) and wait for the RMA to process.

I have dealt with other computer manufacturers (namely Dell and HP) and unfortunately their reputation bleeds into the groupthink that extended warranties and customer service are garbage and a waste of money.

You're not just paying for coverage if your computer dies. You're paying for peace of mind, and superior customer support/service in the store and/or with Cupertino.

What Apple offers for the price that they do hasn't been touched (even close) by anyone.

Take your time. You don't have to decide until the last day of your 1 year warranty.


Peace of Mind would cost you (as a student) $0.16 a day for years two and three.
( Last edited by lysolman; Oct 29, 2008 at 12:38 AM. )
     
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 29, 2008, 10:35 AM
 
Originally Posted by phoenix78 View Post
I have looked at Dell (Australian) and compared their 3 year premium warranty with Apple's. Dell was about $20 more expensive. So, i used to think that Apple was ripping us off for the expensive warranty. Now others companies are putting it up too.

It is worth it for hardware failures other than the hard drive... HDs are so cheap and now, trivial to replace. I had a screwed logic board and it was replaced. That would have been an expensive part to replace.

The thing is, when i had issues with my mbp, i called a few of the local apple repair stores to book it in. Each of them were backed up with repairs for about 1 week before they could accept my machine. Looks like it would be a very foolish strategy to hope that a product will not fail...
Can you show me which dell warranty was $20 more expensive? I have never seen this. Apple's warranty's in Australia are some of the most expensive around. Some Dells now come with 2 years standard warranty in Australia from what i was told.
( Last edited by Rob van dam; Oct 29, 2008 at 10:42 AM. )
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 29, 2008, 11:45 AM
 
Originally Posted by lysolman View Post
It's the only extended warranty ever reviewed in Consumer Reports that has been recommended by the editors.

That should be enough, but there's more:

Apple has only one (1) call center outside of the country. The chance that you will get a rep on the phone who is actually sitting in the United States is very high.

Without AppleCare you get one phone call in the first 90 days. With AppleCare you get unlimited phone calls for the length of your extended warranty.

If you are not in the vicinity of an Apple Store, or would prefer not to have to go into one (The turn around can be quicker in a store) Apple will send you an overnight box for your computer. They will fix it, and then overnight it back to you.

It pays for itself if you have a portable. If it's for the first repair or just for the peace of mind. Apple's portables (especially the new MacBook/Pro) tend to use highly proprietary/custom component builds. If you want to find replacement parts, good luck.

Things don't go wrong with computers in the first year. They start happening in the 2nd and 3rd. Had 2 iBook G3 have their logic boards replaced 2 times each in the 2nd and 3rd years. Even better was I had the logic board replaced on one of them when it was in its fourth year, out of warranty, and not part of the recall. Apple replaced it just because.

For those that can build their own computers need to appreciate the fact that the majority of present/modern Mac users are either switching or buying their first computers.

If you were new to computers, but "with it" enough to realize the expense if something broke, would you choose a 3 year extended warranty with unlimited phone support and someone who sounds like the guy who lives next door, or would you choose to individually figure out which component wasn't working and then contact each individual company (even if the standard warranty was longer) and wait for the RMA to process.

I have dealt with other computer manufacturers (namely Dell and HP) and unfortunately their reputation bleeds into the groupthink that extended warranties and customer service are garbage and a waste of money.

You're not just paying for coverage if your computer dies. You're paying for peace of mind, and superior customer support/service in the store and/or with Cupertino.

What Apple offers for the price that they do hasn't been touched (even close) by anyone.

Take your time. You don't have to decide until the last day of your 1 year warranty.


Peace of Mind would cost you (as a student) $0.16 a day for years two and three.
This is one of the things that really bugs me about AppleCare: "Buy AppleCare because Apple computers can't be trusted to last more than 1 year and because Apple's regular warranty sucks."

If a computer manufacturer can't say with confidence that their product will last 3 years, I won't be buying from them. I'll buy from a manufacturer who includes peace of mind in the original sale and doesn't try to use Peace of Mind to extort me into purchasing something else.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 29, 2008, 01:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
This is one of the things that really bugs me about AppleCare: "Buy AppleCare because Apple computers can't be trusted to last more than 1 year and because Apple's regular warranty sucks."

If a computer manufacturer can't say with confidence that their product will last 3 years, I won't be buying from them. I'll buy from a manufacturer who includes peace of mind in the original sale and doesn't try to use Peace of Mind to extort me into purchasing something else.
So, do you get insurance on anything, or warranty extensions? When buying a car, you tell the car sales man, sorry, don't need that extra coverage? If you think for one second that nothing ever fails in the first three years, you're foolin your self. There is no such thing as a perfect product, and if they were one, do your think the average consumer could afford to buy one? Any company that could make one could charge what ever they wanted: like The Perfect Laptop, last forever, has everything....price $10k One of the reasons for this, more then likely you'll never have to buy from them again, so they charge a silly price to make up the money they are trying to make on it. A near example of this, was Merced Benz, and their once famous 500k milage quality. Were they cheap, hell no, they were 6-8 times the price of the average american auto. Also remember, computers are manufactured on a assembly line by machines, and even though they may pass system diagnostics there is a chance that something went unnoticed, and will fail at some point later.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 29, 2008, 04:11 PM
 
I always get Applecare for portables. It has always paid for itself. With desktops it is s toss-up, but probably a good idea, since it costs less than AppleCare for a portable.
     
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Carol Stream, IL USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 29, 2008, 07:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
How much would you estimate you've spent on Apple Care?
I can't remember how much it was back in the day, but between the computers I've gotten over the years I'd say no more than 500 bucks. To me it is worth having the extra coverage for those 'you never know' moments.

But at the same time I am not the type of person to buy a warrenty on every item I get... just computers because you never know.
Powerbook G4 15" 1.0GHz FW800 60GIG HDD / 1.5GB RAM 10.5.X
iBook G3/800 12" 30GIG 640MB RAM 10.4.11
Mirror Door G4 1.0DP .5TB/1.5TB/40GB/30GB 1.5GB RAM 10.5 Server
Mini 1.83GHz C2D 80GB HDD 1GB RAM
     
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2008, 01:34 AM
 
Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
This is one of the things that really bugs me about AppleCare: "Buy AppleCare because Apple computers can't be trusted to last more than 1 year and because Apple's regular warranty sucks."

If a computer manufacturer can't say with confidence that their product will last 3 years, I won't be buying from them. I'll buy from a manufacturer who includes peace of mind in the original sale and doesn't try to use Peace of Mind to extort me into purchasing something else.
i think you are getting caught up on the apple part. all electronics go wrong at some point - it doesn't matter the brand.

just because a company has a warranty for 3 years means that it's a quality product? i think your logic is a little off.
iPhone 4: [32GB]
iPad 2: [16GB | WiFi]
MacBook: [13" | 2.4Ghz | 4GB | 500GB]
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2008, 01:51 AM
 
At this point, though, Apple really could afford to extend the standard warranty to two years and AppleCare to four years in total. The company could also afford to return complementary tech support under the standard warranty to a full year, instead of the 90 days they cut it down to during the lean period. It would generate a lot of positive will and enhanced PR; Apple certainly has the money to spare.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2008
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2008, 10:07 PM
 
I didnt get the warranty, but i was thinking about it. eventually i just let my manu. warranty expire, so now i cant do anything
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2008, 11:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by Remlyor View Post
So, do you get insurance on anything, or warranty extensions? When buying a car, you tell the car sales man, sorry, don't need that extra coverage?
Extended warranty is a scam, regardless of the product. The only insurance I have is auto insurance (as required by law in Canada) and health insurance (as paid by my taxes and my employer)

If you think for one second that nothing ever fails in the first three years, you're foolin your self. There is no such thing as a perfect product
Of course there is no such thing as a "perfect product"; that's why standard warranties exists.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2008, 11:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by longwood View Post
just because a company has a warranty for 3 years means that it's a quality product?
If a company guarantees that their product will work for 3 years or they'll fix it for free, that tells me they either have a high degree of confidence in its performance or they are willing to go above and beyond in their customer service. That company will get my money before a company that wants me to pay extra for the same guarantee and service.
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 14, 2008, 11:20 AM
 
We've bought AppleCare on our past three computers, 2 iMacs and a PBTi, and all three had issues in the third year. The three Macs were all repaired and are still going strong. The costs of repairs far exceeded the cost of the AC. We'll definitely buy it again on the two Macs we plan to purchase in the next couple of months.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2009, 11:22 AM
 
At $169, no, it's not worth it. Buy it here instead for about $100.

http://gamestock.ecrater.com

You're welcome
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2009, 01:39 PM
 
Since Apple farms out the building of its products to virtual slave labour in third world countries, one can assume that from time to time some assembler of a MacBook spits in it before shipping.

I consider Apple Care like insurance.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2009, 01:50 PM
 
It appears from the comments that a desk top Mac normally do not fail and for that reason AppleCare is not a good buy. We've had a bunch of Macintosh computers and only once had to have one repaired. It was an early iMac G5 with known mother board and power supply problems. Within a month of Apple's offer to repair any failed G5s mine died and was fixed on Apple's extended warrantee offer at no cost to me.

Most of the Macs we've owned for 4-5 year, well beyond the AppleCare coverage. I quit buying AppleCare and to that extent gamble on repair cost vs AppleCare cost. Not saying my decision is for you, do your own homework.

FWIW, Consumer Report says don't buy extended warrantees.
Cheers
RadioFlyer
     
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2009, 05:09 PM
 
I never buy it. Not saying there is not any value in it, but...

Like a previous poster, my CC extends the warranty to 2 years, so I just use it if anything goes wrong past the 1 year mark. I had some issues before, and they paid for my repairs in full. Very good.

Macs are already expensive, so if you must buy it, wait until the 365th day of ownership then buy it. Don't give them your money until the very last second. This gives you time to think about it, and use the computer: if it has any problems during the first 365 days, maybe extended warranty is good, but if no problems, maybe not.
     
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Behind you.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2009, 09:20 PM
 
Yes, yes, yes! AppleCare is a must for any Apple product. On my last Mac one of the pieces that got damaged would of have cost USD 1000, but thankfully AC got that bill, not me.

MacBook 2.1 | iPhone 3Gs
     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:56 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2