Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Which book is best for a new iMac user?

Which book is best for a new iMac user?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2009, 04:08 PM

We just bought our new iMac and bought the Mac OX Leopard for Dummies book which I don't find very helpful.

I was ready to buy Mac OS X Leopard The Missing Manual and then
found Switching to the Mac, The Missing Manual.

Anyone have any thoughts on which of the two books would be more helpful on how to use and learn the new applications and system?

Thank you.

Apr 17, 2009, 04:17 PM

Switching to the Mac is really good if you are switching from a PC. It's not clear if this is what you are doing or if you are familiar with Mac OS X at all. Either book would probably be fine. David Pogue is fantastic in all his books.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

RandR  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2009, 04:23 PM

Thank you for your quick response. No, first time I've used a Mac and everything is totally unfamiliar. Been using PC's since 1984.

Think I'll get the Switching to the Mac. I bought the iWorks 09 and wanted to ascertain if that was covered in the book as well.

Appreciate your help and congrats on your 5th star!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2009, 12:47 AM

iWorks is not covered in the OSX Missing Manuals; you'll need a different book for iWorks or detailed iLife. The Missing Manual series is great! I highly suggest the Leopard Missing Manual, even if you wait a little while before getting it. Also, you are probably already aware that Apple's website has great video tutorials on switching and using a Mac for the first time.

Another suggestions is Lynda.com. It's only $25/month. They have excellent videos on using Leopard, Macs, iWorks, iLife, etc. My entire family uses Lynda.
--bindigok
iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 130
15" PB G4, 2GB RAM, 100GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules