Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac DV SE won't boot from optical disc

iMac DV SE won't boot from optical disc
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 23, 2009, 06:18 PM

I picked a nice iMac DV SE up off of the curb yesterday during local "Throw out your old stuff day." It had a fresh install of OS 9.0.4 with the iMac restore CD still in the DVD-ROM drive.

I put my copy of Tiger on DVD in the drive, it was recognized, I opened the "Install OS X" app, and rebooted. Upon restart, it kicked out the DVD and booted from the hard drive. I restarted it, this time holding the "C" key. Once again, it kicked out the DVD. I tried booting from Disc 1 of my Tiger CDs, and the same thing happened. I tried booting from the iMac Restore CD that came with it, and the same thing happened. It will kick out the disc, flash the question mark folder a couple of times, then boot from the hard drive.

The optical drive shows up fine in the System Profiler and I can access and browse all of the discs once the computer is started up, but I can't boot from a disc. I tried resetting the PRAM via command-option-p-r and the NVRAM via open firmware, but it didn't help.

Any ideas as to what's wrong? Or is there an easy way to install OS X with only an Intel Mini and an external USB hard drive to work with?

Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2009, 07:27 PM

Did you try the Option key at startup instead of the C key?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 23, 2009, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Did you try the Option key at startup instead of the C key?
I had forgotten about that trick. Here's what happens: The bootable CD will show up as a choice. If I click on it, Macintosh HD stays highlighted, and the bootable CD also highlights on mouseover, but un-highlights if I move the mouse away. Also, clicking the arrow button does nothing. If I mouseover the bootable CD icon and hit return, the computer will boot from the hard drive.

This is puzzling. I wish I still had my external firewire enclosure/CD drive, but I got rid of all of my computer troubleshooting/fixing stuff a while back.

Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2009, 09:14 PM

Do you have another Mac with FireWire? You could try using FW Target Mode and see if that works.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2009, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Do you have another Mac with FireWire? You could try using FW Target Mode and see if that works.
Yeah, I have my Intel Mini, but I don't know how to install OS X onto the iMac since it's a PowerPC and the PowerPC installer won't work on an Intel machine.

With the iMac in FW Target Mode, I can see the disk in Disk Utility on my Mini, but I can't see the actual image. If I try and erase or partition the drive, I get an error telling me that the operation timed out.

I'm pretty stuck.

Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2009, 10:18 PM

Hmm, maybe you're just figuring out why someone threw out that machine.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2009, 11:24 AM

Well that's why I'm so puzzled - it has a brand new installation of 9.0.4 and the restore CD was in the drive when I picked it up, so it seems like the previous owner wiped the drive and reinstalled right before tossing it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules