Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Macpro Hums after install 2 WD640

Macpro Hums after install 2 WD640
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2009, 08:26 PM

put wd640 in drive 2 and 3. now have a hum that cycles louder/softer continuously, although sometimes after a while it stops. any ideas what this might be and how to fix? this is 2006 mp i have had since new..

Jul 27, 2009, 09:13 PM

is that a 15k drive? it spins a lot faster than 7.2k drives and you might be noticing that

Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2009, 12:49 AM

When I first saw the title, I did a bit of a double-take, because I thought you had put WD40 in your Mac.

Anyway, I used to have a G4 tower that did that. I think it's because the machine is slight off balance, and the machine is vibrating slightly as a result. If you can shift things a bit so that the center of gravity is in the right place, it might help.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2009, 11:16 AM

Are your drives mounted to the sleds securely? Can you rearrange the hard drive sleds into different slots to see if the vibration goes away?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2009, 11:35 PM

My mac pro did that once after i put the processor heatsink cover back on incorrectly. I removed it during the installation of an extra sata cable. I noticed that the cover would fit both ways, but it had a foam pad on the once side that once inserted correctly, i believe dampened some vibration and the hum noise.

The mac has sounded fine, ever since I corrected this minor problem. hope that helps.

M

Jul 31, 2009, 08:36 AM

I also found that when putting a third drive in the machine there was more fan noise from my Mac Pro (2009). The drive was an oldish 5400rpm so i doubt it was that, but i have a feeling that once you put the drive in a fan spins quicker to keep the three drive cool. Hence the noise increase.

Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2009, 02:32 AM

I recently had to return a western digital drive. I was using it as an external backup drive in a firewire enclosure. Very loud hum/buzz whenever the drive spun up. Very glad to be rid of it too.

Maybe try a different brand.

Forum Links
Forum Rules