Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 2007 iMac Intel Core 2 Duo Takes FOREVER to Boot After Hard Drive Replacement

2007 iMac Intel Core 2 Duo Takes FOREVER to Boot After Hard Drive Replacement
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2011, 09:47 PM

I have a late 2007 20" 2.4ghz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac. I maxed out my 320g factory hard drive with mostly purchased content, so after researching web forums, & a youtube "how to" video, I decided to replace my internal hard drive. I replaced it with a 2 TB Hitachi 7200 Deskstar, and went ahead and also upgraded my RAM from 1g to 4g. I installed the new drive, housed the old one in an enclosure and booted off the old drive externally....formatted the new internal drive with disk utility, used carbon copy cloner to clone the disk, re-installed Snow Leopard and restarted. Took forever but I figured it would get beyond that. Once running, system is great! Runs faster, smoother, new drive hums like a new car, programs load faster. Now that you have the background, here's the BUT!!!!! My imac now takes literally 10-15 minutes to boot, reboot, or even just wake from sleep mode. I start with a gray background & apple logo, with clock spinning for a minute or two, hear normal sounds of drive scanning on boot. I then get a blue screen for literally, like 10 minutes at least before my login window finally comes up. No drive scanning sounds are happening while I have this blue screen, in fact no real sounds of activity at all. Almost made me feel like my screen was broken or something. I scanned some forums, found a suggestion to repair permissions in disk utility, which I did. No change. I hate to ramble, but I figure the more info I put out there the better. This is a clone of my old drive, so there are no system changes here other than the new installed hardware. I'm out of ideas, anyone have any more?

P
Mar 1, 2011, 04:30 AM

Check the startup disk in System Preferences - it should be pointed to the new HD - but there's something more. Try holding Command-V when booting to enable verbose mode, and try to see what happens when it takes so long to boot.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2011, 05:08 AM

Sounds like its booting normally past the point where verbose will tell you anything. There was a very old issue with Tiger where it used to stop altogether at the blue screen, Apple always recommended disabling third party drivers.

Its worth trying safe mode. Hold down shift immediately after the boot chime and release it after the spinning gear starts spinning. See if that boots any quicker.

Personally I don't tend to clone Mac drives when I switch them out. I always had more luck just doing a clean install and migrating. It can give you the odd error with high -end apps and their anti-piracy measures, but it always seemed to give a much cleaner install to me.
( Last edited by Waragainstsleep; Mar 1, 2011 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Typo)
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Personally I don't tend to clone Mac drives when I switch them out. I always had more luck just doing a clean install and migrating. It can give you the odd error with high -end apps and their anti-piracy measures, but it always seemed to give a much cleaner install to me.
I agree with the above quote.

My MacBook's speed improved greatly when I did a clean install of OS X 10.6 and migrated everything from a clone. Apparently, there were some files, that had accumulated from Tiger and Leopard, slowing down my MacBook that were left behind in the migration.

Another important tip is to disconnect all peripherals to see if there's a problem/conflict with one of them. My MacBook began to take a long time to boot, and I figured out that an old scanner, when it was connected during boot up, was the root of the problem.

If your Mac boots quickly with nothing connected, plug in your peripherals one at a time, rebooting after each one, until the slow boot occurs. If it happens again, you'll find the conflict.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2011, 03:46 PM

You should start your system from the old drive and run disk utilities to repair the new drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules