Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Compatible video cards for Mac Pro 3,1 (early 2008)

Compatible video cards for Mac Pro 3,1 (early 2008)
Mar 20, 2012, 12:27 AM

Hello,

The NVidia GeForce 8800 GT in my early 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 just cut out. Or more specifically the fan no longer fans, and any activity that uses the gpu will crash the computer within seconds. I just spent about 2 hours trying to figure out what my graphics card replacement options are and I am completely overwhelmed.

Not only have I always been confused by graphics cards and which are better, but figuring out which ones will work with my computer has my head spinning. The video cards sold on Apple's website all claim they require a 2009 or 2010 model, though people with the same computer as mine have claimed to run the 5770 with no problems...

Anyways, I would appreciate any advice! I am planning on keeping this computer for a long time to come, so I'd like to go with the best upgrade possible (excluding anything too pricey - like the $1200 one on Apple's store).

Also, if it's relevant, I am currently running 10.6.8, but planning on upgrading to Lion anyway - so I could always expedite the upgrade if necessary.

Thanks ahead of time for any tips!
I've been so many places, I've seen so many faces, and these blue, green, and purple HILLS

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2012, 05:23 AM

As long as you have 10.6.4 both Radeon – 5770 and 5870 – will work on a Mac Pro 3,1.

The 5770 works even on a Mac Pro 1,1 which is the one I have cause my 8800GT bitted the dust a long time ago.

Forum Links
Forum Rules