Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac mini, broken colored vertical lines in some fields

Mac mini, broken colored vertical lines in some fields
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2013, 06:40 PM

Brand new Mac mini, sometimes has broken, colored vertical lines in some fields on a web page or e-mail program. (The connections are all solid.) I am afraid this might be a fault in the logic board somewhere, since no other computer on the same system interacting with the same hardware has the problem. Any other thoughts?

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2013, 07:40 PM

There's a known problem with Intel's HD4000 video driver if you use the HDMI connection. A fix should be coming shortly...
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

MacBook  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2013, 07:54 PM

It is connected by using the Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter, not HDMI.

P
Mar 12, 2013, 08:58 AM

Same thing. The digital part of DVI uses the same video signal as HDMI. All the adapter does is tell the GPU to send out the DVI/HDMI video format and wire up the pins, and apparently there is some sort of issue with video driver that makes the signal sent out have these defects.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2013, 12:44 PM

Could also be a RAM issue if that card is sharing system memory.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

MacBook  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2013, 05:38 PM

I ordered one at work a few months ago that had a wonky hard disk, and so sent that back. So, my last two Mac minis have arrived with some sort of defect.

I am returning this one. I ordered a different one for work that is scheduled to arrive towards the end of the week, but with the fusion drive, increased RAM, and the 2.6 i7 processor. Hopefully, it will not have the same problem.

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2013, 06:56 PM

You reported this to Apple and they knew nothing about a widespread problem like it?
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

MacBook  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2013, 05:43 PM

No, I did not report it to Apple, so do not have feedback from them. I never indicated that. Over the years, I have found that there are very well-informed people on this and other forums, and I went here first. I have seen many posts about this or related problems, and so returned the item because it was not performing as expected and it was returnable. That is all I was indicating. I have another one on order, but for my workplace, replacing a very reliable six year old Mac Pro, and I hope that it works as intended.

P
Mar 15, 2013, 04:17 AM

10.8.3 is out now. While the notes don't mention graphics drivers, it's worth giving it a shot to see if that solves the colored lines problem.

(Yes, I know the OP has returned the machine, but I figured someone else might find this thread)
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2013, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
10.8.3 is out now. While the notes don't mention graphics drivers, it's worth giving it a shot to see if that solves the colored lines problem.

(Yes, I know the OP has returned the machine, but I figured someone else might find this thread)
That's still what I think the problem is in spite of the OP not using HDMI.

MacBook  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2013, 06:03 PM

I received the Mac mini at work (with fusion drive and additional memory) and haven't seen any of the problems that the home one exhibited. Yesterday it ran briefly with 10.8.2 but then this morning I upgraded to 10.8.3. It was connected by a mini displayport adapter to a 30" cinema display.

Forum Links
Forum Rules