Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > is there something special about the PCI 2 slot in an early 2008 Mac Pro?

is there something special about the PCI 2 slot in an early 2008 Mac Pro?
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2013, 09:56 PM

Hi All,

Is there something special about the PCI 2 slot in an early 2008 Mac Pro? Perhaps something wrong with it?

You see, I've been running a "Newer Technology MAXPower eSATA 6G Pro PCIe Controller Card" (the non-RAID, two-slot version) in a PCI 1.1 slot in this Mac for a little while (slot 3), but I've just acquired a fast SSD and I wanted to max out the speed.

I first tested the new SSD when the card was in the PCI 1 slot, it mounted no problems (it's in an eSATA case). When I moved the card to the PCI 2 slot (slot number 2 in this particular model), the drive doesn't mount (OSX still reports the card as being present).

I've searched around for an answer, and all I've been able to find are a very few references to people deliberately putting this card in slot 3 or 4 (the two PCI 1 slots) in this model of Mac and avoiding slot 2 (the PCI 2 slot), but no explanation as to why.

So, is there a problem with the PCI 2 slot in this Mac? (the graphics card is in slot 1, which is PCI 2, so they must adhere to the standard).

Many thanks for any insights.

Chas

Apr 13, 2013, 08:02 PM

This may have something to do with the PCI slot configuration. I once did something similar and seem to recall having to change the configuration using the built-in PCI utility. Here's Apple's guide on doing so.
Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
PDXMacRepair.com

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2013, 11:40 AM

Hi osiris24x, thanks for the reply.

That link was 404, I'm afraid. What is the name of that app, I'll google it and see if I can help myself out (didn't even know about it, so you did help, a bit :-))

Cheers!

Chas

Managing Editor
Apr 14, 2013, 12:41 PM

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2013, 01:01 PM

Kind of you, I've seen that (found it after I spotted the "16x" printed on the motherboard and wanted to know exactly what was what), but this time, with your and osisris24x's help, I finally noticed where to find the "Expansion Slot Utility". Annoyingly, for some reason, the "Expansion Slot Utility" app gives me an error about not working on my system (10.7.5).

I've got to search out a working version, maybe by upgrading to Mountain Lion (just haven't bothered so far).

Cheers!

Chas

Forum Links
Forum Rules