Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro product review ideas?

Mac Pro product review ideas?
Thread Tools
MacNN Staff
Join Date: Jul 2012
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2013, 07:33 PM
 
Hey gang. I've got a 2010 and 2006 Mac Pro that I use for reviews here at MacNN. Are there any funky cards or accessories for the slab'o metal you want me to try and get for review?

Video cards are difficult to get, but I'll entertain any ideas.
     
Administrator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 2, 2013, 11:08 PM
 
Dang. From the title, I thought this was to make up a list. Tests for the new retina MacPro6,1 just as soon as it arrives.

I do have an idea, but it would require some software hacking. To see if you could trick a current Mac Pro with a good GPU into running the retina routines on a 30" display. To force internal 2x rendering, then scale to physical display res. This would give us a jump on Apple's release schedule.

If you could pull it off, it would be interesting to a lot of current owners. Whether to go with a GPU upgrade instead of a new Mac Pro. Actually, such an article would be quite a scoop. We'd be linked to from Ars, Anandtech, Toms, and a host of others.
     
MacNN Staff
Join Date: Jul 2012
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 3, 2013, 12:38 AM
 
Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I do have an idea, but it would require some software hacking. To see if you could trick a current Mac Pro with a good GPU into running the retina routines on a 30" display. To force internal 2x rendering, then scale to physical display res. This would give us a jump on Apple's release schedule.

If you could pull it off, it would be interesting to a lot of current owners. Whether to go with a GPU upgrade instead of a new Mac Pro. Actually, such an article would be quite a scoop. We'd be linked to from Ars, Anandtech, Toms, and a host of others.
Hm. I don't personally have the chops for this, but I do have the hardware. Let me see what I can get figured out.
     
MacNN Staff
Join Date: Jul 2012
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 7, 2013, 05:38 PM
 
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: May 2013
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 8, 2013, 02:33 AM
 
The big disadvantage with the current MacPros is slow disk access due to slow SATA-connections. You canĀ“t utilize the full speed of SSDs if you connect to SATA.

You can solve this by using PCI. I know of two products: Mercury Accelsior_E2 and Apricorn Velocity Solo x2. There are others. It would be very interesting to see a review of these products to implement a Fusion Drive (for example combined with at WD 2 TB Black hd). Can this work as a meaningful upgrade for us "forgotten" MacPro users?
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 9, 2013, 04:48 AM
 
OWC do a bootable PCIe SSD now.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
MacNN Staff
Join Date: Jul 2012
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 9, 2013, 03:22 PM
 
We've also reviewed a SATA-3 PCI-E card with two internal and two external ports. I'll start looking at it.
     
MacNN Staff
Join Date: Jul 2012
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 19, 2013, 11:10 PM
 
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Saint Charles, IL, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 24, 2013, 09:29 PM
 
Originally Posted by EstaNightshift View Post
Hey gang. I've got a 2010 and 2006 Mac Pro that I use for reviews here at MacNN. Are there any funky cards or accessories for the slab'o metal you want me to try and get for review?

Video cards are difficult to get, but I'll entertain any ideas.
PCIe SATA 6GB Tempo SSD Pro review would be nice!
     
MacNN Staff
Join Date: Jul 2012
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 26, 2013, 07:19 PM
 
Originally Posted by Locutus27 View Post
PCIe SATA 6GB Tempo SSD Pro review would be nice!
Okay, I'll go request one now.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Automatic
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2013, 10:14 AM
 
The Intensity Pro PCIe card from Blackmagic Design. Should be interesting to see how it can handle HD video from popular gaming devices.

     
MacNN Staff
Join Date: Jul 2012
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2013, 02:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
The Intensity Pro PCIe card from Blackmagic Design. Should be interesting to see how it can handle HD video from popular gaming devices.

I've used the predecessor to this card ages ago. I'll request one now!

We did a USB 2.0 breakout box a while ago that was tailored for gaming. Not bad, but it wasn't 1080p. The new model does the higher resolution.

Review - Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition Review | MacNN
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Automatic
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2013, 03:26 AM
 
Originally Posted by EstaNightshift View Post
I've used the predecessor to this card ages ago. I'll request one now!
Thank You Sir !!

It will be of most interest to know whether the Mac Pro 1,1 can use the HDMI ports on it. I've read somewhere they can't be used with a 1,1 which is a pity.
     
MacNN Staff
Join Date: Jul 2012
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2013, 12:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Thank You Sir !!

It will be of most interest to know whether the Mac Pro 1,1 can use the HDMI ports on it. I've read somewhere they can't be used with a 1,1 which is a pity.
We'll find out. One of our testers is a 1,1.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Automatic
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 3, 2013, 02:27 AM
 
Any news on the Intensity Pro PCIe card review.?
     
P
Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 10, 2013, 05:15 AM
 
One idea: Get a USB 3.0 card and check if UAS works - or, in other words, a benchmark of various USB 3.0 drives on that card.

(UAS = USB Attached SCSI - an optional part of USB 3.0 that improves performance of storage devices over USB 3.0 by a lot. Supported in Mountain Lion and on many - but not all - modern external storage devices. It would be interesting to see how general that support is.)
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.
     
MacNN Staff
Join Date: Jul 2012
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 10, 2013, 12:23 PM
 
Originally Posted by P View Post
One idea: Get a USB 3.0 card and check if UAS works - or, in other words, a benchmark of various USB 3.0 drives on that card.

(UAS = USB Attached SCSI - an optional part of USB 3.0 that improves performance of storage devices over USB 3.0 by a lot. Supported in Mountain Lion and on many - but not all - modern external storage devices. It would be interesting to see how general that support is.)
While technically, UAS works on the Highpoint card we reviewed, it didn't show any significant gains on our tests over the other card we used to compare it to, but I only had a small handful of enclosures to test it on. I'll look further into it.

Any news on the Intensity Pro PCIe card review.?
Requested, but not received yet.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2013
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 26, 2013, 05:46 AM
 
It is an slow disk process.The card is very strong.
     
   
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2014 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2