Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > new iMac ?

new iMac ?
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2014, 04:04 PM

Im going to be ' in the markete ' for a new Mac, in this case and iMac to replace

my Antique MacPro ( which i still love ) at some point

perhaps w the next 'upgrade' or in the fall during a 'tax holiday' that MA has every year for Back To School.

I used to fiddle and faddle quite a bit, now not so much.

I do have EyeTV and cap over the air HD, which i export w this program.

some times i make Rars and Pars from this export using SimplyRar.

my MacPro cannot handle both functions at the same time. no real big deal as

im not on a timeline

1 ) would the current or future iMacs be able to do both at the same time w no corruption of the EyeTV export ?

2 ) as these two things are probably the most complicated thing Id be doing, what does a hybrid drive really do for me in 'real time'

your thoughts and suggestions are always helpful

many thanks !
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

Managing Editor
Apr 1, 2014, 04:34 PM

Do you have a 1,1 Mac Pro?

Re-chip that bad boy. Eight cores at 3.0GHz for $220 or so, if you do the labor yourself. Should be able to handle OTA HD and RARing simultaneously.

Upgrading a 2006 Apple Mac Pro 1,1 with 2 Xeon X5355 Processors. | Waiting Outside. Photography and Tech

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2014, 09:08 PM

yep

Ill give it some thought

looked at the vid. very very cool. but not enough to go on, at least for me.

if you have more info, Id love to see it.
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

P
Apr 2, 2014, 06:32 AM

That's a very specific set of question, but in general, the current iMacs are significantly improved in the video encoding department. Anything from Nehalem and on is much better. Upgrading the CPUs in your current MP will give you more threads, but it won't improve single-threaded performance much.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Managing Editor
Apr 2, 2014, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
That's a very specific set of question, but in general, the current iMacs are significantly improved in the video encoding department. Anything from Nehalem and on is much better. Upgrading the CPUs in your current MP will give you more threads, but it won't improve single-threaded performance much.
Agreed with these points, but what the OP is talking about WILL in all likelihood be fixed with a recore. I am curious, though, why the MP with the quad stutters while doing both, I'm not sure it should...

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2014, 11:52 AM

the eyetv export gets the audio garbled and not connected to the video. cant remember if the video output is garbled.

the eyetv export uses almost 100 % of each of the 4 cores.
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2014, 01:52 PM

any thoughts on the worth-while-ness of the hybrid drive?
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

P
Apr 2, 2014, 04:40 PM

Now that I think about it, it might be a lack of disk bandwidth that is causing the encoding to fail. Just a guess though.

A hybrid drive makes the computer feel Snappierâ„¢. As long as you are in the SSD-buffered part, it's as fast as the SSD. Writes at less than 4 GB are also SSD-fast. If Apple had made hybrid drives with 256GB SSDs, I think we would not see a difference compared to the regular SSDs, but since they're 128GB, speed sometimes drops down to disk speeds - or so I hear. I would absolutely get a Mac with a hybrid or straight SSD if I were to get a new one now.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2014, 04:42 PM

I got a new iMac with a hybrid SSD. Speed is amazing.

Hard drives are the biggest bottlenecks in old Macs.

-t

Managing Editor
Apr 2, 2014, 04:43 PM

The disk bandwidth may be an issue, but the Mac Pro first is pretty much limited to 200MB/sec anyhow. Concur with Hybrid, but there's no compelling reason to not get a 120GB or so drive and put your OS on it, and leave data on conventional drives.

The four processors pegged at 100% is a pretty good indication that there's a bottleneck there.

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2014, 03:53 PM

many many thanks !

Ill get the iMac w the hybrid 3 TB drive.

as soon as the lottery get > 200 millooon, Ill get a ticket to cover it.

sad I cant find a two HD fire wire encloser. I have one. should have bought a few more.

Miglia mini HD (Great!)

Managing Editor
Apr 3, 2014, 04:06 PM

OWC Mercury Elite Pro FireWire 800 and USB 3.0, or eSATA RAID-0 up to 8.0TB Plug & Play Solutions

Two-drive multi-interface RAID case. There's lots more available.

Forum Links
Forum Rules