Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Q: what low-end video card for Mac Pro 2008 to drive projector

Q: what low-end video card for Mac Pro 2008 to drive projector
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2014, 11:49 AM

Hi All,

I'd like to drive a projector with my early 2008 Mac Pro (running Mavericks). Both outputs from the existing video card are being used, so I need to add a video card. This machine is actually on its last legs, but while it's still around, I need to maximise its use.

Any suggestions for a low end (cheap as possible) card that I could use? (available in the UK). The projector has a VGA connector only, and is pretty low res (how low, I can't recall, apologies, but it's 5 or so years old). I've already considered a VGA switch, but I've decided not to use one, I'd rather drive the projector with a card.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Chas

Professional Poster
May 19, 2014, 12:24 PM

USB -> VGA maybe an options as well.

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2014, 06:47 AM

USB to VGA? I didn't know that existed! Great suggestion (way better than going into the PCI slots, the mac is hard to get to and the slots are full :-))

Found tons on Amazon, thanks! Do you happen to know of any disadvantages? (I'm sure I can google some good discussions).

Cheers!

Chas

Administrator
May 20, 2014, 03:26 PM

The USB video dongles are basically mini video cards connected via USB. You'll be limited by USB 2 bandwidth, and they have little or no hardware acceleration.

I doubt you can play HD video over one. 3D gaming probably out, DVD-quality playback should work. Desktop mirroring or powerpoint should work fine. Make sure you buy one supported on Mac.

Professional Poster
May 20, 2014, 04:01 PM

I figured HD video and gaming weren't likely with a low res projector. There should be review sites with articles that cover the pros cons. They were very popular with the traveling bushiness crowd.

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2014, 06:29 PM

More great info guys, thanks. USB 2 is pretty low, I guess I'll see how it goes. The projector is low res, so I'm going to take a punt on one (Mac compatible, of course!).

Cheers!

Chas

Forum Links
Forum Rules