Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best way to improve Pizmo LCD brightness?

Best way to improve Pizmo LCD brightness?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2002, 09:38 AM

Hi Guys,

Do any of you know the best way to improve the Pizmo LCD brightness ? Is there a way to get the same quality as the G4 Powerbook screen? I would be very interested in any advice on how to improve the brightness of the Pizmo screen. Thanks.

James Thomson

Moderator Emeritus
Aug 7, 2002, 09:41 AM

Not that I know of, short of replacing the screen with a new one, and even then you couldn't match the resolution of the Powerbook G4's screen.

Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2002, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by James Thomson:
Hi Guys,

Do any of you know the best way to improve the Pizmo LCD brightness ? Is there a way to get the same quality as the G4 Powerbook screen? I would be very interested in any advice on how to improve the brightness of the Pizmo screen. Thanks.

James Thomson
No way to get more brightness, I've tried. What I did find, however, is Supercal (at versiontracker). This at least made what I had look better.

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2002, 03:18 PM

The newer LCD screen is somewhat brighter than the older one. The split came when Apple upgraded the laptops from 6gig/12gig harddrives to the 10/20 ones in Sept. of 2000. The later panels were made by a different company and were bluer and brighter.

PeteWK

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2002, 06:25 PM

Hi Peter,

This is a very interesting point regarding the LCD changeover in September of 2000. I have two G3 400 Pizmo machines. One of the machines definitely has a brighter display. This had a 10 gig Toshiba hard drive installed as standard. The other machine had a 12 gig drive as standard and has the duller display. There must be a way of getting a new brighter LCD panel put in both machines. Thanks.

James Thomson

London UK

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2002, 06:33 PM

Actually James you can. But the deal is that you must purchase the newer panel on Ebay and install it yourself. I've done it on a smaller (PB 1400) book with good results. It's not as hard as it sounds. I'm sure the panel can be had for around 300-400 dollars.

PeteWK

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2002, 07:42 PM

The first machines came with a Samsung panel, and the later machines came with an LG-manufactured panel.

Forum Links
Forum Rules