Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > TiBook Paint Chipping: Color of replacement paint?

TiBook Paint Chipping: Color of replacement paint?
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2003, 12:21 AM

Hey all,

I know the paint chipping is a common problem with the TiBooks, so has anyone successfully repainted it using paint from a hobby shop? I don't need an exact match (I know that's impossible) but if anyone's used a particular color from a particular company, I'd appreciate knowing which one.

Thanks,
X.

Mac Elite
May 25, 2003, 02:37 PM

I made a "homebrew" mix of matte white and silver-metallic paint. It matches pretty well. But be carefull: if you do excessive paint jobs on your Ti you loose the warranty (as my local dealer told me, while i was getting AppleCare) .

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Professional Poster
May 25, 2003, 03:19 PM

Hunter orange is popular...during deer hunting season.

Seriously, if your TiBook is within warranty just call Apple and they'll give you a brand new case for it. Send it in and they'll replace the case.

IF you were a friend of mine, which of course you aren't, I would tell you not to paint because it WILL invalidate your warranty.

But, then, you're not a friend of mine.

iXavier  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2003, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by iWrite:
IF you were a friend of mine, which of course you aren't, I would tell you not to paint because it WILL invalidate your warranty.

But, then, you're not a friend of mine.
And with that kind of attitude, I don't see how we could be friends!

LOL

I'm taking my Mac and going home.

Thanks for the replies, it was actually for a friend who has a TiBook 550. I have a 12" AlBook, myself, which I'm happy to say has all of its paint in tact.

X.

Professional Poster
May 25, 2003, 04:25 PM

If his Powerbook is out of warranty then what I'd say to do is to tell him to take it on down to a hobby shop. The good hobby shops use a color meter to measure the color and then they can either sell him or mix up an EXACT match in the color. I don't understand why people don't do that more often to be honest. They throw away their money on that cheap crap from tibookpaint.com and then it's not even a good match.

If it's in warranty definitely have him send it in.

Enjoy the day!

iXavier  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2003, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by iWrite:
If his Powerbook is out of warranty then what I'd say to do is to tell him to take it on down to a hobby shop. The good hobby shops use a color meter to measure the color and then they can either sell him or mix up an EXACT match in the color.
Thanks for the help, iWrite, I'll pass it along to him.

X.

May 26, 2003, 03:55 AM

Here's a solution:
TiArmor - http://www.vixinc.com

TiArmor adds a thin layer of protection from scratches, oils, and dust for the high-traffic areas of the PowerBook. TiArmor protects with a layer of soft polyurethane applied with the non-stick durability of a much harder material. Check out http://www.vixinc.com for more information. This looks like a promising product.

Forum Links
Forum Rules