Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Battery question

Battery question
Senior User
Sep 18, 2003, 02:27 AM

Ok I've posted this before but just wanted to try again.

I've had my iBook plugged into the AC power adapter all day today. Just now at 12:19 am I noticed the color on my iBook where the power adapter goes has been green all day. But now it's orange meaning that it is charging. I have the menu bar set to display the percent left on battery power and noticed it jumped from 95% to 96%. I don't know but this seems weird.

My AC power adapter is plugged in using the three prone connector to a surge protector and neither have come loose or unplugged all day. Now I just noticed that the power percent is up to 97%.

I've also noticed to get the menu bar to read 100% I have to charge it as far as it will go (usually around 95%) then unplug the AC power and let it run on the battery to where the menu bar reads around 80% and then plug the AC power back in and then the menu bar will say the iBook charges up to 100%.

Update now my iBook says the batter is at 100%. What's up with that? This is wierd.

I use to have a tangerine iBook and never noticed this problem with it.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Senior User
Sep 18, 2003, 02:46 AM

Ok found an Apple article that said to hold down the shift-control-option and power buttons after turning the iBook off to reset the power managment. I did that, tried to get the iBook to boot up again to see if it did any good but the hard drive would start to spin up to load the OS and then stop and die. It did this 3 times and then I finally got the iBook to boot up again. Now my battery reads 99%.
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Senior User
Sep 18, 2003, 02:47 AM

Just noticed that my time and date was reset as well I think this was suppose to happen. But just for fun it now reads Wed 6:07 PM December 31, 1969.

Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 08:58 PM

The date & time indicates that the Power Management was successfully reset.
Is the problem solved now?

Senior User
Sep 18, 2003, 10:54 PM

Nope it still isn't fixed. I've had my iBook connected to AC power all day today and the menu bar is stuck on 98%.

Senior User
Sep 21, 2003, 12:58 AM

Update: Well today the battery percent read 100% all day, unitl around 11:00 pm when it dropped to 99% (not a big deal) but the iBook has been plugged into the AC power adapter all day. What's up with my battery or is it just a bug in OS X.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 10:47 PM

I think it's a "bug", if you want to call it like this. My iBook has been powered the whole day today, and right now it says 95%. It often happens to me. If you look at he menu, it just says that the battery is charged... I don't feel like worry about it
-------------------
Comfortably Numb

Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 12:32 AM

Well I installed Mac OS X 10.2.8 and the "bug" is still there. At least I'm glad it's nothing wrong with the hardware. Guess we'll have to wait for Panther to see if they fix it

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2003, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by Applefreak01:
Update: Well today the battery percent read 100% all day, unitl around 11:00 pm when it dropped to 99% (not a big deal) but the iBook has been plugged into the AC power adapter all day. What's up with my battery or is it just a bug in OS X.
I thought that the battery is not supposed to stay 100% charged all the time. They are supposed to drop off a little bit before being "topped off" again. The battery naturally discharges itself to prevent damage.

I read in an Apple Knowledge Base article that the status can read 106% or so. Ha ha. That equals 100%.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

Sep 24, 2003, 08:38 AM

atleast your battery didn't die 4 months after buying an ibook... and since my 90 day applecare is done they want to charge like 40 freaking dollars to just "talk" about the problem i'm having... It's total bullshit and im completetly ticked off at apple. Another thing is they wont replace my battery anyways since it's considered a consumable... Gah.. Now I have to fork over what 125 dollars?

ibook | 800 | 640

Forum Links
Forum Rules