Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here*

Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here* (Page 2)
Thread Tools
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Switzerland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2003, 01:06 PM
 
First I liked my sleeve from waterfield design.... good quality, made in San Francisco, looks nice....

But I must say I'm a bit disappointed about the size .
Today I compared it with a sleeve from zahara for the Titanium. The sleeve from waterfield design is much bigger!!! The width is like 2cm wider... and the new Alu is not 2 cm wider!

I have compared it with a 17 Alu (rev. a), it has the same size like the 17 without a bag...
I don't bought a sleeve for my 15 Alu, to feel like carrying around a 17 Alu.

I'm still waiting for my 15 Alu, so perhaps my final opinion will change.... but I don't think so.

The purpose of a sleeve is to be as thin as possible, and to protect your investment.
I think my zahara bag serves this purpos for my ibook.

So wich is the best sleeve in terms of size and protection?
     
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Beneath the Big Sky ...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2003, 02:13 PM
 
Originally posted by wavegroom:
First I liked my sleeve from waterfield design.... good quality, made in San Francisco, looks nice....

But I must say I'm a bit disappointed about the size .
Today I compared it with a sleeve from zahara for the Titanium. The sleeve from waterfield design is much bigger!!! The width is like 2cm wider... and the new Alu is not 2 cm wider!
I also ordered a Waterfield sleeve for my new 15" AlBook, ... and i have exactly the same complaint about the product. It's a beautiful sleeve -- but it's too friggin' big for the PowerBook!! Grrr!
     
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2003, 02:58 PM
 
It isn't clear to me whether the problem is with the width of the SleeveCase, or the depth. Which is it?

Have you guys with the aluminum 15" Powerbooks and the too-wide SleeveCases contacted Gary at Waterfield and told him your concerns? The folks at Waterfield get consistent high marks for customer service, so I would expect a quick resolution to your problems, one way or the other.

Kindly let us know how Waterfield responds.
     
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Beneath the Big Sky ...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2003, 03:22 PM
 
Originally posted by Mojo:
It isn't clear to me whether the problem is with the width of the SleeveCase, or the depth. Which is it?

Have you guys with the aluminum 15" Powerbooks and the too-wide SleeveCases contacted Gary at Waterfield and told him your concerns? The folks at Waterfield get consistent high marks for customer service, so I would expect a quick resolution to your problems, one way or the other.

Kindly let us know how Waterfield responds.
Well, the thing is a little bit too big in all dimensions, but the primary problem is the width ... the PowerBook can move around laterally a fair amount while its in the case, and that shouldn't happen with a properly-designed sleeve.

I'd already contacted Gary about the size issue, and received a couple of quick and courteous replies. Unfortunately, the only solution they offered was an "exchange," and replacing one badly-sized case with another wouldn't really do me any good.
     
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2003, 03:47 PM
 
How do you know that the replacement case will not be a better fit without trying it?
     
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Switzerland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2003, 03:52 PM
 
so I'm not the only person with this problem... a least they must change something....

I'm mailed gary, lets see what solution he can offer....

the problem is that I live in europe, so when I send it back the shipping cost will be high
     
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Beneath the Big Sky ...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2003, 04:05 PM
 
Originally posted by Mojo:
How do you know that the replacement case will not be a better fit without trying it?
Well, because Waterfield gave me no indication at all that the size of the sleeve was going to be corrected. And in the meantime, I'd be out the shipping cost, and I'd be without any case at all during the replacement process.

Originally posted by wavegroom:
I'm mailed gary, lets see what solution he can offer....
I'd appreciate it if you could let us know of his response. Thanks!
     
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2003, 04:26 PM
 
It seems like a simple thing to e-mail Gary and get a definitive answer about whether the replacement SleeveCase will correctly fit the PB or not.

If not, then return the SleeveCase and just accept the fact that sometimes mail order products don't meet our expectations, and that the cost of ordering from a distant company is the price of returning the item and a little time and inconvenience.

Sometimes a company will offer to reimburse for shipping, or will have a shipper pick up the item at the company's expense. It doesn't hurt to ask if they don't bring it up first.

The alternative is to always shop locally and accept the presumably limited selection and possibly higher prices. Considering how much I purchase via mail order, the number of times I have had to return something is insignificant.

After all, it is only a case, and the PB will no doubt survive a few more days without one while you find a suitable replacement.
     
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2003, 04:42 PM
 
It seems like a simple thing to e-mail Gary and get a definitive answer about whether the replacement SleeveCase will correctly fit the PB or not.

If not, then return the SleeveCase and just accept the fact that sometimes mail order products don't meet our expectations, and that the cost of ordering from a distant company is the price of returning the item and a little time and inconvenience.

Sometimes a company will offer to reimburse for shipping, or will have a shipper pick up the item at the company's expense. It doesn't hurt to ask if they don't bring it up first.

The alternative is to always shop locally and accept the presumably limited selection and possibly higher prices. Considering how much I purchase via mail order, the number of times I have had to return something is insignificant.

After all, it is only a case, and the PB will no doubt survive a few more days without one while you find a suitable replacement.
     
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boston
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2003, 04:46 PM
 
Montann:
Is the SleeveCase going inside another bag like the Cargo, or are you using it as the sole bag? I would assume that if you are using the SleeveCase inside of a Cargo bag that a slightly larger SleeveCase would not be an issue as I have a medium Cargo and Sleevecase on the way.
     
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Switzerland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2003, 04:53 PM
 
Originally posted by Montanan:


I'd appreciate it if you could let us know of his response. Thanks!
I will post the response...
But I think Mojo is right, it's always a risk to buy something you don't have seen.

But waterfield design was the only company I found that makes a 15" Alu sleeves.

Are there any other 15" Alu sleeves that fit perfect? Perhaps I will return it and wait until the local company makes a sleeve...
Or this would be a good time to startup a new bag/sleeve company

It would be so cool to have sleeves in the design of freitag. I know a tailor so perhaps, I will let her make my custom sleeve.... Which fits PERFECT!!!!!

to gostan:
My Bag looks really ugly with this sleeve in it..... The sleeve is wider than my bag.
( Last edited by wavegroom; Sep 30, 2003 at 05:05 PM. )
     
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2003, 06:00 PM
 
Regarding the problems with Waterfield's 15" Al PB sleeve:

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and I just drove up to Waterfield Design to see and try the cases in person. They don't have a shop, it's a warehouse essentially and they take the orders there and ship them out.

Nice friendly and helpful people. I bought the Cargo Bag suite which includes the sleeve. The sleeve fit my new 17" Powerbook very snugly. You should call or e-mail them. They were really helpful and took time to help me decide. I really appreciated the customer service. They'll try to make you happy.
     
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2003, 08:18 PM
 
I have the Zero Halliburton Z3 case. It fits the TiBook and my new Albook 15 like a GLOVE. Absolutely perfect fit. I got some velcro to attach the power supply and accessories to the top (I removed the stock divider). It straps in very securely, and the grey powdercoat matches nicely.

I can post pictures if anyone would like.

My old Tibook went plinko down two flights of stairs in this case and didn't suffer so much as a ding. The case did though, but chicks dig scars, right?
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2003, 11:53 PM
 
anyone have a good backpack suggestion? i was looking at the booq bp3 or the spire backpack... anyone have one of these bags and would like to share their opinions?
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: with pretty wife
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 1, 2003, 08:13 AM
 
Originally posted by wavegroom:

But waterfield design was the only company I found that makes a 15" Alu sleeves.


I bought the previous generation Spire USA Zoom backpacks, and like it a lot. I bought it for my Wallstreet. But it fits the 15" Aluminium well. No thoughts of buying a new bag. (Well, actually, I think of buying new stuff all the time.... )

Anyway, Spire USA does sell a Boot sleeve, which has a handle and straps. Also a Dash sleeve, which is simpler and cheaper.

I think both fit in the Spire backpacks. But can be bought separately. Comes in all sorts of sizes.

Just a thought.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 1, 2003, 12:31 PM
 
My booqpaq 3 is on it's way I will post a mini review once its here.
     
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: HKG / LHR
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 1, 2003, 02:23 PM
 
I brought one 12"Pb sleeve in PCWorld in UK, it only cost me 5-7 pounds (cant remember the exact price.. but its under 10 pound)
Its shock resistance and it has a quite high quality as well
I prefer this one as its cheaper than those on the web as well as its nice!
Got a 12" Powerbook ^__^
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cape May, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 1, 2003, 02:49 PM
 
Hey, I have a question regarding Powerbook cases. I figured i'd post it here instead of wasting space on the main board. Anyway, I was looking for a Sleevecase for an AL15" Powerbook but I wanted a sleevcase that had a pocket for an extra batt. and the AC adapter. Does anyone know where I can find one or have a like to a site? I looked all through the list provided but I cannot find what I am looking for. I don't want a case that has all these pockets for PDA's, Cell phones, Pens, Magainzes and such because I don't need them nor will I ever use them. All I want is a sleevecase with a slot for a batt. and an AC. :-( Nobody seems to make them though. Oh, and I was thinking about going along with a custom creation but then I thought of the price which more or less turned me off from the idea. I'm not looking for something that is completely insane in price. I'm looking to spend up to 100.00 POSSIBLY a little more if the product is right.

~Elf~
     
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boston
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 1, 2003, 03:10 PM
 
I just received my new Waterfield Cargo Bag (medium) and Sleevecase (size 11) for my 15" AlBook. I am happy that I purchased the medium Cargo bag instead of the large as there is adequate room for all of my needs and I do not carry cameras and extra disk drives (although they would fit) too often.

I put my Powerbook in the SleeveCase for extra protection and then inside the Cargo bag. I have no issue at all with the size of the SleeveCase. It hugs the AlBook fine. If anything, the Cargo bag is a little too long for the new AlBook, but I think that it will work out fine.

The quality is typical Waterfield quality, and Gary and company should be commended for the high quality of their products. We pay for this quality, but sometimes paying the price for quality and receiving it, are at opposite sides of the rainbow.
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Great Central Valley
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 1, 2003, 03:35 PM
 
I just got an email from Gary at WF Designs --- he doesn't know why people are saying that the #11 sleevecase allows an ALBook to slide around, as it is supposed to be a bit snug. He did say they have been buried under a slew of orders lately.
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 1, 2003, 05:42 PM
 
Originally posted by Apple Elf:
Hey, I was looking for a Sleevecase for an AL15" Powerbook but I wanted a sleevcase that had a pocket for an extra batt. and the AC adapter. Does anyone know where I can find one or have a like to a site? ~Elf~
Is this what you're looking for?

ETA: okay, hope this new link works

Incase Design sleeve
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cape May, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 1, 2003, 07:13 PM
 
Thanks a lot. Did they just add that one? I looked at the incase cases but I didnt' see that one. I guess I just missed it. But yeah thats what I was looking for. I'l email them and see if it fits the Al. I hope it does. :-) Thanks for the link.

~Elf~
Whats the world without an Elf?
     
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 1, 2003, 07:15 PM
 
Rain,

Incase Design makes a great sleeve, I use one on my older Pismo. I'm looking into one for my new 17" now. I decided the Waterfeild Design stuff I bought the other day wasn't going to work for me. Well made they are and I can say nothing bad about them, they have great stuff. It just didn't suit my daily needs.

By the way, are you the same Rain on the HTF?

Nelson
     
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Switzerland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 1, 2003, 07:42 PM
 
Originally posted by machem:
I just got an email from Gary at WF Designs --- he doesn't know why people are saying that the #11 sleevecase allows an ALBook to slide around, as it is supposed to be a bit snug. He did say they have been buried under a slew of orders lately.
Gary mailed me too....

He says: "The feedback I have received so far is that the SleeveCase size no. 11 fits the new 15" AL Powerbook like a glove. "

I think it's like one of this big gloves for winter, the powerbook should be stay warm with it in the winter time

It would be really cool to have some pics of powerbooks inside sleeves with open flaps. My powerbook still not arrived...

so PLEASE post some pics with the powerbook inside the sleeve!!! Than we can do real comparison!!!!!

So I can prove it for gary that they don't fit well....
     
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Beneath the Big Sky ...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 1, 2003, 09:18 PM
 
Well, after catching up on the comments in this thread and looking over my Waterfield sleeve one more time, I've decided to return the thing. As well-constructed as the product might be, the fit isn't even close to being right ... and given the fact that a decked-out Waterfield is among the most expensive sleeves I've come across, that simply isn't acceptable.

I'm going to do a little more research before trying another order, but right now I'm thinking about a Spire USA sleeve -- has anyone tried a new AlBook in one of those?
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 1, 2003, 10:17 PM
 
For me, Waterfield is the way to go. I also have a Tumi which fits my Ti nicely.
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Great Central Valley
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 1, 2003, 11:13 PM
 
Originally posted by wavegroom:
Gary mailed me too....

He says: "The feedback I have received so far is that the SleeveCase size no. 11 fits the new 15" AL Powerbook like a glove. "

I think it's like one of this big gloves for winter, the powerbook should be stay warm with it in the winter time

It would be really cool to have some pics of powerbooks inside sleeves with open flaps. My powerbook still not arrived...

so PLEASE post some pics with the powerbook inside the sleeve!!! Than we can do real comparison!!!!!

So I can prove it for gary that they don't fit well....
I'm confused --- if you don't have one, how do you know it doesn't fit?

When mine comes, I'll post some pictures. I hope it's tomorrow, as I just gave away my old backpack with the sale of my Pismo.

[Edit: after Montanan's post]

What Montanan said is not what I want to hear. I agonized over the bag decision also. Montanan: is it possible for you to take pictures? Actually, it may be useful if people can post pictures of their 'books in their bags!
     
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Switzerland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 1, 2003, 11:27 PM
 
Originally posted by machem:
I'm confused --- if you don't have one, how do you know it doesn't fit?
I compared it to sleeves for the titanium and the one from waterfiel is so much bigger.
(yes the alu IS bigger, but not 2cm widder....)

read my first post about this issue.... details are there
Stage 4 * Shipping * 15" Alu / 1.25GHZ / Superdrive / 5400 RPM Disk
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Great Central Valley
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 1, 2003, 11:34 PM
 
Originally posted by wavegroom:
I compared it to sleeves for the titanium and the one from waterfiel is so much bigger.
(yes the alu IS bigger, but not 2cm widder....)

read my first post about this issue.... details are there
Remember that if something is 1" wider (I know that the AlBook is not 1" larger), the bag will have to be something like 2" larger in circumference (at least). Add a bit more in two of the dimensions involved and you end up needing more than that simple width.

Anyway, I'm not trying to negate your concerns, and I'm interested in finding out soon.
     
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Switzerland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 1, 2003, 11:58 PM
 
Originally posted by machem:
Remember that if something is 1" wider (I know that the AlBook is not 1" larger), the bag will have to be something like 2" larger in circumference (at least). Add a bit more in two of the dimensions involved and you end up needing more than that simple width.

Anyway, I'm not trying to negate your concerns, and I'm interested in finding out soon.
My main concern is the width, in the last post I only talked about the widht....

circumference = (width + height) * 2
for rectangular objects....
(I like posting simple maths, like the others here in the forum )

Only wanted to post some maths and speed up to be a member....
I think 1 message more and my status will change
Stage 4 * Shipping * 15" Alu / 1.25GHZ / Superdrive / 5400 RPM Disk
     
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Phoenix
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 2, 2003, 02:55 AM
 
I have the WF sleeve, but I'm still waiting on my ALBook....The sleeve looks like it will fit ok, but I'll chime in when my PB gets here...hopefully soon!

BTW - To anyone who has the Timbuk2 Commute bag, how do you like it? How does your PB fit in it? I need a waterproof bag and I'm looking pretty hard at that one. I just wish I could load it into the WF sleeve and then toss it in the Commute bag. Ah well...

Lattimer
"God bless America. Let's save some of it." --Edward Abbey
More
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Aug 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 2, 2003, 03:50 AM
 
I couldn't find any hard cases that I liked in the links listed so far.

Check these out:

http://vanguardusa.com/cart/businesscases/index.cfm
"I warned them kids to keep their arms inside the ride. Damnedest thing I ever saw."
     
KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New York, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 2, 2003, 10:16 AM
 
Originally posted by Lattimer:
I have the WF sleeve, but I'm still waiting on my ALBook....The sleeve looks like it will fit ok, but I'll chime in when my PB gets here...hopefully soon!

BTW - To anyone who has the Timbuk2 Commute bag, how do you like it? How does your PB fit in it? I need a waterproof bag and I'm looking pretty hard at that one. I just wish I could load it into the WF sleeve and then toss it in the Commute bag. Ah well...

Lattimer
I have the Commute bag and love it. I haven't been caught in a rainstorm with it to test its waterproofness yet, but that was a huge factor in my decision to buy it.

I have an AL15" and it just makes it into the laptop slot. The slot is inside the main compartment with a velcro strap to hold the 'book in, and there is also a back compartment which is heavily padded on the side that rests against your body, which is sort of a file pocket, but also has little pockets which could hold accessories and such. And the bottom is very sturdy and rubberized. There are tons of pockets and pockets-within-pockets in the main compartment. It's also very spacious, so it's possible you might be able to drop the WF sleeve into it instead of using the built-in slot. The bag itself is a few inches wider than the slot for the 'book, so that should allow plenty of room for the extra material of the sleeve.

Hope that helps, if you have any other questions about it I'll try to answer them.
     
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Beneath the Big Sky ...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 2, 2003, 11:01 AM
 
Originally posted by machem:
What Montanan said is not what I want to hear. I agonized over the bag decision also. Montanan: is it possible for you to take pictures? Actually, it may be useful if people can post pictures of their 'books in their bags!
I'm afraid I'm digital camera-less at the moment, but to give you an idea of the loose fit ... after I put the AlBook into the Waterfield sleeve, there's still enough room in the sleeve for me to easily slide in both the AC adapter and the additional three-prong power cord.
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 2, 2003, 11:33 AM
 
You're welcome, Elf. Glad you found the info useful


Originally posted by Nelsun:
Rain,

By the way, are you the same Rain on the HTF?

Nelson
Yep - nah just kiddin'! This is the first time I've use the "Rain" nick. Guess what the weather was like when I registered?
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Great Central Valley
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 2, 2003, 05:20 PM
 
I've just received my WF Cozmo combo. Quick and dirty review:

A bit underwhelmed at first. I think this is because I have been carrying around a huge, leather monstrosity of a briefcase which can hold EVERYTHING, but is overkill. Very well-made, heavy canvas construction. All the accessories (iSight bag, Junk bag, strap, sleevecase) are packed inside along with some cards and the invoice and a thank you note.

I like the gold interior. You can see what is in there.

The sleevecase is a snug fit. Perfect for the new 15" 'book. No slipping around (see photos). There is no way I could put my AC adaptor or cord in here. I think Montanan must have gotten the wrong size??

The sleevecase fits nicely (read snugly) inside the bag in its own pocket. There is a lot of room in there for other things, though an additional divider would be nice. A pocketing flap is attached to the top of the other side which will hold a few things (calculator, Palm, etc). Junk bag and iSight bag will probably go in outside pockets.

This will turn out well for me, I think, as what usually end up carrying home are papers/exams to grade and other documents, but rarely books (I keep a set at home). Overbuilt, with a somewhat minimalist approach inside, sort of like a messenger bag that sits up by itself (it has a flat bottom).

More later when I get a chance to use it.

Pictures:

http://homepage.mac.com/cmccallum/PhotoAlbum1.html
( Last edited by machem; Oct 2, 2003 at 05:25 PM. )
     
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Phoenix
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 2, 2003, 05:37 PM
 
Originally posted by KP*:
I have the Commute bag and love it. I haven't been caught in a rainstorm with it to test its waterproofness yet, but that was a huge factor in my decision to buy it.

I have an AL15" and it just makes it into the laptop slot. The slot is inside the main compartment with a velcro strap to hold the 'book in, and there is also a back compartment which is heavily padded on the side that rests against your body, which is sort of a file pocket, but also has little pockets which could hold accessories and such. And the bottom is very sturdy and rubberized. There are tons of pockets and pockets-within-pockets in the main compartment. It's also very spacious, so it's possible you might be able to drop the WF sleeve into it instead of using the built-in slot. The bag itself is a few inches wider than the slot for the 'book, so that should allow plenty of room for the extra material of the sleeve.

Hope that helps, if you have any other questions about it I'll try to answer them.
KP*-

Does the bag have a strap that wraps around your underarm, like the chrome bags? Like a stabilizer strap? Also, how well does it hug your back when you carry it? I plan to commute on my bicycle and I would like some "real world" feedback...thanks in advance, I really appreciate you taking the time to fill me in!

Lattimer
"God bless America. Let's save some of it." --Edward Abbey
More
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Syracuse, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 2, 2003, 08:09 PM
 
Hey all,

received my Zeroshock 12" Sleevecase from Shinza today. Despite the higher than average shipping cost, I am pretty pleased.

I ordered mine in bright red with grey piping. It also comes in black, silver and blue. Seems very well constructed and is a decent fit, although it could be slightly smaller. The sleeve is made of a neoprene with a "memory foam" layer in between which supposedly can absorb impacts. I am not so sure of that claim, but it does offer higher protection than just a regular single sheet neoprene case like the caselogic case. The interior is very smooth with no seams and a thick protecting border so that the zipper doesn't scratch the powerbook.

The price is pretty reasonable and it does offer a stylish alternative to most sleeves and seems very well made. I wasn't willing to pay the price for a waterfield, despite all the huge amounts of praise from the macnn community, but I think this is a very nice alternative to those who are wanting something a little offbeat and minimalistic.

Pictures to come shortly!
12" Al 867|60GB|SD
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 2, 2003, 10:53 PM
 
Originally posted by RealMac:
I ordered the PowerSleeve15 from Booq (see the ads above) using the MacNN code. 38.21 plus 5.92 = 44.13 total, with FedEx ground shipping on the 28th. With my iBooks I used the Incase sleeve, but didn't feel like they offered enough protection for the price.
so how do you like that booq? I am using the incase now, but it just doesn't sit well on me.. the ti is wide so carrying it vertically makes sense.. particularly since i am 6'5" and travel via subway..

i was thinkign it may be a good solution, but i can't tell if there is room for a charger or anything else.. how is the padding on the strap?
     
KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New York, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 2, 2003, 11:37 PM
 
Originally posted by Lattimer:
KP*-

Does the bag have a strap that wraps around your underarm, like the chrome bags? Like a stabilizer strap? Also, how well does it hug your back when you carry it? I plan to commute on my bicycle and I would like some "real world" feedback...thanks in advance, I really appreciate you taking the time to fill me in!

Lattimer
It does have a stabilizer strap, which is about an inch wide, with sturdy clips. I haven't been using it, so I can't really offer real-world experience with it yet, but I think I'm going to start using it.

The bag seemed very rigid and not particularly form-hugging at first, but as I've been carrying it more it's been getting broken in a bit. The padded back makes it stiffer than if it were just fabric, and of course with the 'book in it, it can only bend so much, but I've been finding it more comfortable to carry the more I use it.

One thing you should know is that it doesn't come with a padded shoulder strap, but Timbuk2 makes several velcro add-on ones, including a rubberized one, so that might help you keep it in place as you ride your bike.
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Great Central Valley
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 2, 2003, 11:50 PM
 
Well, I'm off the WaterField. I think it's great, the sleeve is perfect, etc etc.

My wife told me it was a bit er, feminine. I'm afraid I can't look at it the same way any more. She is going to use it (she scored!), and I'm going for a Crumpler.

The Crisp Suit is huge, the Very Busy Man is a bit smaller, and would hold the 15" snugly I think. Opinions?

Thanks!
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: OC/California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 3, 2003, 01:36 AM
 
Originally posted by Montanan:
Well, the thing is a little bit too big in all dimensions, but the primary problem is the width ... the PowerBook can move around laterally a fair amount while its in the case, and that shouldn't happen with a properly-designed sleeve.

I'd already contacted Gary about the size issue, and received a couple of quick and courteous replies. Unfortunately, the only solution they offered was an "exchange," and replacing one badly-sized case with another wouldn't really do me any good.
I'm not encountering the width-size issue you've mentioned. My sleevecase for the 15" AL seems to fit perfectly.

Maybe an exchange will solve the problem.
     
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Switzerland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 3, 2003, 03:12 AM
 
Originally posted by iDORK:
I'm not encountering the width-size issue you've mentioned. My sleevecase for the 15" AL seems to fit perfectly.

Maybe an exchange will solve the problem.
can you post some pics?
would be great!
Stage 4 * Shipping * 15" Alu / 1.25GHZ / Superdrive / 5400 RPM Disk
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Melboune, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 3, 2003, 07:03 AM
 
Originally posted by machem:

The Crisp Suit is huge, the Very Busy Man is a bit smaller, and would hold the 15" snugly I think. Opinions?

Thanks!
I have the Very Busy Man for my 15" Powerbook. It's a good fit.
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Great Central Valley
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 3, 2003, 12:12 PM
 
Originally posted by wavegroom:
can you post some pics?
would be great!
Wavegroom, I posted pictures of my WF #11 sleevecase:

http://homepage.mac.com/cmccallum/PhotoAlbum1.html

I found the fit to be very snug.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 3, 2003, 03:12 PM
 
I seem to be getting conflicting information about whether the timbuk2 laptop sleeves fit the albook 15". A couple of posts on here seem to indicate they work fine, but when I emailed Timbuk2's customer service, they very clearly stated that no current sleeves fit the new powerbook and that there are no immediate plans to make such a sleeve.

So, can anyone here confirm that they have successfully used a Timbuk2 sleeve with their new 15" powerbook?
     
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 3, 2003, 07:49 PM
 
From what Montanan described, it would appear that he received the wrong SleeveCase. The SleeveCases are designed to fit like a glove... a very snug glove. The fact that there is room for the AC adaptor, etc. indicates that it is the wrong size.

As far as a daypack goes, I am going to vote for a Marmot Talus. I prefer the old design, which may still be available. There is an inner sleeve against the back of the pack that fits a 12" iBook and SleeveCase. A 15" SleeveCase might be too big, but there is room left over with the 12", so it might work.

The Talus has the best daypack suspension system that I have used, and it is multi-purpose vs. the more limited portable computer daypacks.

See a review here: http://www.epinions.com/content_9381711492 The pack that is pictured is the old design. The new design has more modern styling, new color options and omits a row of equipment loops. This might appeal to folks who don't need to attach gear to the outside of the daypack (I do).

Here is the new Talus: http://www.marmot.com/products/produ...style_id=C2507

BTW, I received my medium Cargo from Waterfield. The 12" iBook/SleeveCase fits nicely, and I prefer the soft-sided design vs. the semi-hardshell large Cargo. If you carry a LOT of stuff then the large Cargo may be a better choice; if in doubt I would order both and return one after giving them a try at home.

I am going to be selling my nearly-new Lightware Courier Bag if anyone is interested in a good deal. Let me know if there is interest before it goes to eBay.

The Cargo sure doesn't look "feminine" to me, but mine is black/black. I can see where a couple of the color combos might appeal to a woman. Maybe your wife knew how to push your buttons and get herself a new case!
( Last edited by Mojo; Oct 3, 2003 at 08:27 PM. )
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 3, 2003, 09:04 PM
 
i am torn between the maccase: http://www.jambags.com/MacCase%20Sleeves.htm and the zeroshock: http://shinza.com/product_info.php?p...b60a42043d6874

i will be using it to protect my 12" pb when i put it into my backpack while walking around campus, the bus, etc.
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Great Central Valley
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 3, 2003, 11:02 PM
 
Originally posted by Mojo:

I am going to be selling my nearly-new Lightware Courier Bag if anyone is interested in a good deal. Let me know if there is interest before it goes to eBay.

The Cargo sure doesn't look "feminine" to me, but mine is black/black. I can see where a couple of the color combos might appeal to a woman. Maybe your wife knew how to push your buttons and get herself a new case!
Clearly. Anyway, the Crumpler I have coming definitely has many more gadget pockets, which is a good thing. Now I have to wait for this one....

Got a picture of the Lightware (or did I miss a link)?
     
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 4, 2003, 12:08 AM
 
Lightware isn't on the list...their bags and cases are geared towards photographers. Great stuff- I have a number of different cases from them.

I have the BF1250. You can see a pic and details here:

http://www.lightwareinc.com/index_2.html

Click the Courier and Briefcases link on that page.
     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:16 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2